Sadoun vs WSI cs Fortec 1.8m panel dish

Status
Please reply by conversation.

Kraven

Resident Bozo
Original poster
Jun 2, 2012
Northern, VT
Most of us know how these dishes perform and how each rank one against the others.

Judging by pictures of each, they all look 98% smilliar, so what makes them different in terms of results
and one being better then the other?

Cheers, K

The WSI is made from .02thin steel and will rust away in a couple of years. Careful you don't sneeze when standing near the dish as you're liable to clamshell it. I could make fun of it but it's a seriously challenged dish.

I've never seen a Sadoun dish in person. I have a WSI 6' dish. The smaller the dish is the more accurately it needs to be in order to perform well. The WSI dish I have is "Cobbled together" The panels don't precisely line up with each other and I cant imagine any quality control was needed during manufacture. Great learning experience ;)

I have the Sadoun dish, though it's not installed right now, and is stored in my shed. It's a very THICK stamped steel, and works very well for a 6 footer. It's a very good starter dish, or even a good permanent dish for people that just can't fit a larger one in the place for any reason. I'd say if it's properly put together (panels matched, stringed, and feed centered and focused), only a 6ft spun aluminum dish could beat it for that size. I've had many dishes over 30 years, so take this info for what you think it's worth. The only problem is they are now no longer available, as he ran out of them.

Guess there isnt much of a market for these dishes in North America.... judging by what I have at home, and what Ive seen online, the dish design isnt exactly rocket science... just a matter of having the right tools.

Guess there isnt much of a market for these dishes in North America.... judging by what I have at home, and what Ive seen online, the dish design isnt exactly rocket science... just a matter of having the right tools.

I guess it's kind of in the same category as a big-engined RWD car with no frills. A few of us really like them, but....
I've often wondered if the reception of C-band signals could be accomplished any easier, or, better, by using any sort of new technology? Or, is a big parabolic dish still the best way?
I guess it's because they are using the new technology to modulate and demodulate the signals to achieve more throughput. With their commercial equipment they can fairly easily deal with these signals.

So, it all comes back to, "How much can you afford to spend?", both for the high-performance rear wheel drive car, or high-performance C-Band reception.
Hence why I have a Sadoun 6 footer, it was the only thing available that I could afford to spend the time and money on.
Today, some people that have the time and ability available, can put that to good use locating, recovering, and restoring some very nice old equipment. (Both C-band dishes, and RWD autos)

Am mounting the WSI 6footer this weekend after I finish building my "portable mount/stand" for it (Ill post pictures when done).

The original WSI polar mount was quite "shaky" and she wiggled alot. I solved this by adding 4 extra 20cent washers to it. :doh:

Still thinking for a way to 'strenghten up' the panels. Thought of shooting the back side of the dish with fiberglass. Anywho the strengthening "mod" will come down the road.

The six panels were outside for the better part of a year and burried under 5feet of snow for about 4 months. Despite the elements, the panels arent in bad shape.

Cheers, K

Be interested to know and see where you applied the 4 washers. Can you post a pic or two?

Also, the panels, I think, once they are all connected together should stay probably rigid enough.. just my $.02
Also, need to consider, might not be a good idea if any mod(s) add too much weight.

Here are some photos from one of my WSI 6' dish, i have it park on NSS 806 at 40.0 W it works well.

New 6 ft 186 C Dish 011.jpgNew 6 ft 186 C Dish 01.jpg New 6 ft 186 C Dish 009.jpg New 6 ft 186 C Dish 017.jpgNew 6 ft 186 C Dish 015.jpg

Last edited:
Nice pics.

1- the mounting pole, is that a 3" pipe w/ another inside? which size did you use?
2- Shouldnt the LNB holder "rods" be on the outside of the dish at not attached to the 2nd set of screws? All of the WSI pictures Ive seen have the rods on the outer edge (despite the 2nd set/level having the grooves for the rod).
3- Nice mod on the polar mount from keeping it from swinging.

Did you experiement with SATs other than 40w? If so, how were the results?

Cheers, K

Nice pics.

1- the mounting pole, is that a 3" pipe w/ another inside? which size did you use?
2- Shouldnt the LNB holder "rods" be on the outside of the dish at not attached to the 2nd set of screws? All of the WSI pictures Ive seen have the rods on the outer edge (despite the 2nd set/level having the grooves for the rod).
3- Nice mod on the polar mount from keeping it from swinging.

Did you experiement with SATs other than 40w? If so, how were the results?

Cheers, K

Concerning your question no. Two, look at post no. Six in this thread.... http://www.satelliteguys.us/threads/287173-WSI-6foot-dish

Posted Via The SatelliteGuys Reader App!

The mounting pole is a 3" pipe, the inside is 2.5", the LNB holder rods are in the right place, the photo on WSI website is the older dish with the LNB rods in the outside. The dish works very well on NSS 806.

Status
Please reply by conversation.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)