safe antenna installation? how far from power lines?

• WELCOME TO THE NEW SERVER!

If you are seeing this you are on our new server WELCOME HOME!

While the new server is online Scott is still working on the backend including the cachine. But the site is usable while the work is being completes!

Thank you for your patience and again WELCOME HOME!

CLICK THE X IN THE TOP RIGHT CORNER OF THE BOX TO DISMISS THIS MESSAGE
It just reminds me of a skylight. It seems no matter how much you caulk or tar they always leak. Do tripods have the same tendency?

I've never had a problem, but I make sure I am sinking the lag screws into a stud instead of going straight through the sheathing into the attic. You can generally get a tripod with the same leg spacing as your roof joists.

I see a lot more problems driving by with wall mounts than roof tripods. The roof mounts tend to have broken antenna elements. The wall mounts have broken masts or brackets ripped out.

When I eventually sell the house I'm thinking buyers would consider it an eyesore (most people seem to nowadays). If I removed it before putting it on the market, is it easy to fill in the holes ? I'm thinking filling the holes with tar would be noticeable from the street. And laying new shingles over may be noticeable because the older ones will be faded.

Should I plan to leave it when selling the house? Do you have a better idea of how it may affect home value or buyer opinion? Just want to cover all the bases. Thanks again.

Still unsure now between the inside wall of the chimney, and using a tripod in the middle of the roof somewhere. Coax/ground seems it would be easier to run from the chimney as well. If 5' less height or so isn't an issue I may just go the chimney route. Maybe I'll splurge on that eave mount for $30 if it will make it sturdier.

i know this is an old thread but I am in the same boat as this guy. The peak above where my power enters is the highest spot on my house not next to trees. I have no chimney so that is not an option. From reading though is seems the insulated electrical wires that come to the home are not the big issue, but the real thing to look out for is the bare wires on the utility pole. In my case the utility pole is far away and I can't see it being an issue.

Am I correct in saying that if there is really no better spot and I proceed with caution, in general I should be fine?

i know this is an old thread but I am in the same boat as this guy. The peak above where my power enters is the highest spot on my house not next to trees. I have no chimney so that is not an option. From reading though is seems the insulated electrical wires that come to the home are not the big issue, but the real thing to look out for is the bare wires on the utility pole. In my case the utility pole is far away and I can't see it being an issue.

Am I correct in saying that if there is really no better spot and I proceed with caution, in general I should be fine?

If you carefully install you should be safe.. What channels are active in your area? Low VHF channels can pickup interference from power lines.

If you carefully install you should be safe.. What channels are active in your area? Low VHF channels can pickup interference from power lines.

I put up a test antenna last weekend and most of what I wanted came in fine. Here is my TV Fool report if you want to check it out. Looking to get real channels 20, 12, 42, & 30. Whatever else comes in after is great.

Radar-All.png

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)