Sales Tax on DISH Network Satellite Programming in your state

Claude Greiner

SatelliteGuys Master
Original poster
Supporting Founder
Sep 8, 2003
Detroit - The Paris of the Midwest
Im trying to put together a list of what the sales tax is for Satellite programming in each state.

Some states do not charge tax at all, while others tax the programming.

Please post what the Tax rate is in your state, and if your state does not charge sales tax then what the sales tax rate is just on the leased equipment.

In Michigan for example there no tax, however we are taxed 6% on the $5 equipment rental fee which is $.30 per recever per month

Florida

Direct-to-home satellite is taxed at 10.8 percent plus 2.37 percent gross receipts tax for a total of 13.17 percent. There is no local tax and no residential exemption

http://sun6.dms.state.fl.us/dor/taxes/GT-800011.html

But after looking at my Bill I see I'm only being taxed 12.11% by dish

I think I've read that dish has some kind of base structure set up, what's that all about?

I pay annually, so I had to go back a few months to verify, but Indiana sales tax is 6% and applies to all Programming (AT120, Supers, HD Pack) and Pay-per-Views. Also, Indiana state tax applies to the Additional Receiver Fee, but not the Extended Warranty, nor does it apply to the $5 downgrade fee.

Indiana does not charge any extra tax against DBS services.

For Texas:

State sales tax rate: 6.25% (Local sales tax rates are higher and vary by municipality; mine is 8.25%.)

Texas does not have a satellite tax.

For Texas:

State sales tax rate: 6.25% (Local sales tax rates are higher and vary by municipality; mine is 8.25%.)

Texas does not have a satellite tax.

I'm unable to determine exactly what is being taxed. The closest I can tell is that programming, the extra receiver, and the DVR service fee are all being taxed. However, when using that amount, the tax is still several cents higher than what I get using my calculator. I also have credits on every bill so that is another factor skewing the results and the tax reads "Gross Receipts."

For South Dakota:

State Sales Tax rate is 4%. Local sales tax rates vary, mine is 2%.
Before Oct 2004 business customers were charged local tax in addition to state tax. After October 2004 all customers are exempt from local tax. So the rate should be 4% for all customers

No seperate satellite tax.

Tax on my bill is labeled STATE/LOCAL TAX (SALES/GROSS RECEIPTS)

Previous to October I was being charged 4%, but after October I am being charged me more like 4.13% on the entire bill.

I've never really looked at the tax before. Now I'm puzzled!

Claude and BFG-

I live in Jacksonville, FL which has a total sales tax of 7%. I can tell you I just did the bottom line calculation and it came to 12.55% for my total VOOM bill. Dish Network 13.18% DirecTV 13.18%

I was curious as to why VOOM was lower. I do pay rent for the receiver while the other two are all programming so I subtracted the rent from the VOOM and calculated the tax on just the programming PLus 7% sales tax on just the rental. It then equates to 13.18%, just like E* and D*

Based on this I would say that the three companies charge sales tax on the entire bill at 7% plus 6.18% on just the programming.

This would account for everyone's difference, i.e. they are not figuring the sales tax on the rentals alone and sales tax plus "programming tax" on the DBS programming. Can't claim all states are the same but all of Florida should be the same except for some counties have an additional tax added to the sales tax, mostly of a half %. Our County is 7% sales tax total.

Based on the link provided above it should be a total of 13.17% (difference is due to rounding error) but this is just for programming and the rentals of equipment is calculated separately from the communications(programming) tax.

Here in Missouri, we have NO state sales tax on anything to do with Dishnetwork, there are no taxes put on the bill. Except, in a few cities, they charge a city tax... But I can just account for the area of missouri that I install in, I don't know about state wide....

West Virginia even charges tax for that free programming you get (the $5 and $10 credits that show up on people's bills).

There is a website listing which states are introducing legislation to tax satellite service you can click on the link for your state and fill out your protest and file it with that state. Anyone have it? I would think that this Forum would be ALL over it.

New Hampshire = 0 tax on satellite services. The way it is figured in this state is that it does not cross any public ways, so no tax. Remember "Live Free or Die" is the state motto.

Stargazer said:
Doesn't Ohio also have a satellite tax?

The satellite tax in Ohio is 6% according to this page. Not sure if that's in addition to the sales tax in Ohio or not. I'd assume so.

Minnesota-
6.5% sales tax
no satellite tax

local tax in Minneapolis, St Paul, Mankato (.5%) and Duluth (1%), but Dish just charges the 6.5%

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 2)