Salvage of AMC 14 Cast Aside

Echostar (SATS) made upfront payments to SES in excess of $40Million. They had procured insurance to cover substantially all of the upfront payments.
So SES gets to keep that $40 million, even though they delivered nothing? I can't even imagine finding an insurer who would insure $40 million regardless of the behavior of a 3rd party (SES).

Maybe this is why the Soviets never landed on the moon - NASA patented it!

Not True! Hollywood has always been years ahead in space exploration than NASA, including landing on the Moon, Mars and Asteroids!!

Hollywood has bragging rights! :)

USPO will patent just about anything if you ask - and at least make a passing attempt to show a useful application of the concept. It was encouraged after the State Street Bank v Signature Financial case in the 90s.

Used to run into this all the time when working in the electronics industry, as software folks were always patenting mathematical formulae. Seem to remember once being told by our counsel that the Pythagorean theorem had been patented for use in computer code :confused: - don't know if that was true or not, but it seemed like a real possibility at the time.

Meantime, this affair is not good news for my HD viewing pleasure. :(

When I was preparing my patents, the attorney showed me one assigned to IBM on auto scheduling a conference room.

It's not like the patent is particularly obvious, nor does it apply to the maneuver made by Apollo 13 to return to Earth. The patent has certain limits as to the time that this patent can apply (March or September) and describes a series of maneuvers that can take a satellite from a highly inclined, eccentric LEO to a geostationary orbit by using the moon to flatten the inclination and reduce the fuel required to do so. It doesn't "patent physics," just outlines how to use physical processes to achieve a desired outcome in a non-trivial fashion using a minimum amount of fuel, maximizing the life of the satellite at its desired orbital location.

A Toaster is a pretty simple device at the core: a device that heats sliced bread in a way to cause carmelization of the sugars present in the bread. Simple physics and chemistry, right? People have been making bread for thousands of years; fire has probably been around longer than that. People knew how to toast bread before the toaster was patented, but that doesn't invalidate the patent.

It's not like the patent is particularly obvious, nor does it apply to the maneuver made by Apollo 13 to return to Earth. The patent has certain limits as to the time that this patent can apply (March or September) and describes a series of maneuvers that can take a satellite from a highly inclined, eccentric LEO to a geostationary orbit by using the moon to flatten the inclination and reduce the fuel required to do so. It doesn't "patent physics," just outlines how to use physical processes to achieve a desired outcome in a non-trivial fashion using a minimum amount of fuel, maximizing the life of the satellite at its desired orbital location.

A Toaster is a pretty simple device at the core: a device that heats sliced bread in a way to cause carmelization of the sugars present in the bread. Simple physics and chemistry, right? People have been making bread for thousands of years; fire has probably been around longer than that. People knew how to toast bread before the toaster was patented, but that doesn't invalidate the patent.

A patent is supposed to be a non obvious invention. Something that someone skilled in the art would not come up with when asked. Unfortunately those in the patent office have limited skills now compared to those in various fields, so knowing what is obvious is no longer something the patent office knows. You are not supposed to be able to patent math, physics, etc.

A patent is supposed to be a non obvious invention. Something that someone skilled in the art would not come up with when asked. Unfortunately those in the patent office have limited skills now compared to those in various fields, so knowing what is obvious is no longer something the patent office knows. You are not supposed to be able to patent math, physics, etc.

When you apply for your patent would you use the word 'sence'? I would opt for 'since' :rolleyes:

Hey redmerlin, welcome to Satguys.

Nice first post! :) I think when you view a few more threads, you'll realize goaliebob is not our resident spelling expert, also there's a guy named Scott who has a habit of a few spelling errors. (just joking with ya guys)

Hey redmerlin, welcome to Satguys.

Nice first post! :) I think when you view a few more threads, you'll realize goaliebob is not our resident spelling expert, also there's a guy named Scott who has a habit of a few spelling errors. (just joking with ya guys)

I wonder if they could patent their spelling errors by labeling them "a unique method for articulating thoughts to others"... Then all the non spelling experts would be in a world of hurt. (including me)

Oh, and the news about AMC-14 just saddens me. What a waste...

The retailer chat after AMC-14's problem said "Jim says the satellite problem will NOT disrupt their short term plans for new national HD and HD locals.". OK, everyones been busy trying to figure out what soon to E* means, now we can also try to figure out what short means. ;)

Ciel 2 was contracted in march 2006 for launch in december 2009 (30 months from contract month). That's probably what one can currently expect for a replacement. Short Term-Long Term - the wordsmiths are hard at work trying to put lipstick on that pig.

Boeing is a "crying wolf"

Boeing is hungry for money right now. Do you guys remember, they had rectly loss a major deal with the pentagon to build air tankers. Airbus & Northrop-Grumman beat them to it. Boeing is such a bully, they just want to grab some easy money from this lawsuit. :hungry:

Ciel 2 was contracted in march 2006 for launch in december 2009 (30 months from contract month). That's probably what one can currently expect for a replacement. Short Term-Long Term - the wordsmiths are hard at work trying to put lipstick on that pig.

Ciel 2 is due to launch at the end of this year, barring any further delays from the Breeze-M fallout. It's also slated to take over for Echostar 5 at 129 W.

EVERY invention is obvious to those in the field after the disclosure. The invention process is a series of small baby steps, and little has been invented before it is time to railroad. If the incremental steps were not patentable, we would have very few patents. How many DaVinci's are around today. Even Einstein was building on a large base of existing physics and other physicists were hot on his heels.

The Boeing patent is not simple physics. It is a process patent of using known physical properties to accomplish a specific task. As Foxbat pointed out, ALL patents rely on basic science acting predictably as a building point.

I would bet that before Boeing figured it out, a group of rocket scientists in a room would not easily have come up with that answer. The solution was elegant and simple, but not really obvious.

An awful lot of folks on this board seem to think that a patent is invalid when it inconveniences them, and that "I may not be able to do what I want as simply as I would like" is a valid reason to claim bogus patent.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)