Salvage of AMC 14 Cast Aside

Dah-Henny

SatelliteGuys Pro
May 12, 2007
Boone, North Carolina
Interesting...FAILED: Proton-M launch - AMC-14 - March 14, 2008 - Viewing a thread

Concerning the lunar flyby maneuver there was at least one patent granted prior to Boeing's (which got its first patent on the subject on Sept 12, 2000):
the first one was granted to the French company SNECMA on May 9, 2000 (US Patent#6 059 233) it is entitled "Method and a system for launching satellites on non coplanar orbits, making use of gravitational assistance from the moon".. it also describes the lunar flyby maneuver to get an HEO satellite into GSO

BTW, as of 11:41:33 PM, Saturday, April 12, 2008, AMC14 was still in orbit.
AMC-14 - Orbit Data

John Kotches

SatelliteGuys Master
Supporting Founder
Nov 21, 2003
Troy, IL (STL Area)
dahenny:

I use this guideline for acronyms -- the first time you spell it out, then you can lapse into the acronym.

I'm guessing that HEO is Highly Elliptical Orbit and GSO is Geosynchronous Orbit.

tnsprin

SatelliteGuys Pro
Sep 27, 2003
Interesting...FAILED: Proton-M launch - AMC-14 - March 14, 2008 - Viewing a thread

Concerning the lunar flyby maneuver there was at least one patent granted prior to Boeing's (which got its first patent on the subject on Sept 12, 2000):
the first one was granted to the French company SNECMA on May 9, 2000 (US Patent#6 059 233) it is entitled "Method and a system for launching satellites on non coplanar orbits, making use of gravitational assistance from the moon".. it also describes the lunar flyby maneuver to get an HEO satellite into GSO

BTW, as of 11:41:33 PM, Saturday, April 12, 2008, AMC14 was still in orbit.
AMC-14 - Orbit Data

Buzz Aldrin should have patented lunar assists. Both these patent's rely on his work.

davisdog

SatelliteGuys Family
Mar 4, 2005
:up
Sorry 'bout that.
I always thought that HEO was "high earth orbit", but I could be mistaken. ;)

HEO actually has 2 definitions, it is used for both highly elliptical orbit and high earth orbit. But in the case of a high earth orbit, that's when the apogee is higher than that of a GSO orbit...which AMC-14 is not...so highly elliptical orbit is the better choice in this case :)

digiblur

SatelliteGuys Master
Jun 8, 2005
Louisiana
I keep hearing people saying they are going to splash it into the ocean. They aren't going to deorbit like this, they don't want the liability of killing someone by putting it through their house. They'll just fire it up and out to the junkyard orbit.

davisdog

SatelliteGuys Family
Mar 4, 2005
Deorbits are fairly routine and straight forward for LEO (ie Low) Satellites where the controllers have attitude and thruster controllers of the satellite (just gets alot of hype when you have something big, secret and completely uncontrollable)..I've been involved in a few of them years ago for the military. The 'junkyard' for commsats is above GSO so they've got a long way to go if they want to park it where they were supposed to go (might as well stop along the say and use if for a few years ;)

Where satellites go when they die. - By Daniel Engber - Slate Magazine

for an article I found w/google

tnsprin

SatelliteGuys Pro
Sep 27, 2003
Assuming that no one wants it and moves it to an approved orbit, they will probably ask them to deorbit it. It will probably be burned up in the atmosphere over some area with uninhabited area. As it is it is in an orbit that causes potential problems.

mattopia

SatelliteGuys Pro
Oct 3, 2005
Parma, OH
An awful lot of folks on this board seem to think that a patent is invalid when it inconveniences them, and that "I may not be able to do what I want as simply as I would like" is a valid reason to claim bogus patent.

..and that a risky behavior that "might" work, would reduce the life of the satellite tremendously, would probably cause damage to the bird, and would not be in the shareholders best interests is OK because "I want more HD."

Voyager6

*Cancelled*
Pub Member / Supporter
Lifetime Supporter
Nov 30, 2005
Wokeville
..and that a risky behavior that "might" work, would reduce the life of the satellite tremendously, would probably cause damage to the bird, and would not be in the shareholders best interests is OK because "I want more HD."
Yes, we can understand SES Americom's position. Take the insurance money and buy a new bird. We don't understand the need to de-orbit AMC-14 right away. It makes sense for the insurance company to get whatever salvage money is out there and sell it to another party. Let that other party take the risk of trying to get AMC-14 into a useful orbit.

Smith P.

On Vacation
Oct 4, 2003
Bay Area, CA
There is other major consideration - FAA could mandate remove it from current orbit if it violate some code and create problem for future launches and current objects out there.

davisdog

SatelliteGuys Family
Mar 4, 2005
You are right that it's current inclination/orbit it may create a problem for future launches coming out of that same area, but I dont think (could be wrong) that the FAA has any authority over this particular launch since it didnt occur in a Launch vehicle/site/company that the FAA has jurisdiction over.

Being Foreign (and not launching from the US) I dont believe they had to obtain a license from the "Office of Commercial Space Transportation" which is the FAA Branch that covers this (The Directv bird that went up on Sealaunch would have had to because Sealaunch is registered in the US)

rjc3895

Supporting Founder
Sep 28, 2004
You know what, sence boeing holds a patent on how to do something.. does this mean that I can write instructions on how to start a car and sue everyone who owns a car for patent violations.. In a sence this is what boeing is doing.

You can't patent how to start a car, but you can patent how to retrieve it when it breaks down!:D

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts