Samsung 1600 or Panasonic BDP60

AIsmail

SatelliteGuys Pro
Original poster
Dec 25, 2005
Stewartsville, NJ
I've been thinking of picking up another player and I'm trying to decide between the Samsung 1600 or the Panasonic DMP60. Any thoughts?

I know how awesome last years BDP35 was but after seeing a review of the DMP60 on CNET I'm a little ticked off that the load times haven 't been improved and that it doesn't allow you to stream Netflix. Thankfully you can stream YouTube, which I don't understand at all and Panasonics coming soon exclusive Viera Cast service.

Appreciate your thoughts.

Last edited:
Panasonic could add Netflix or BB very simply by adding a widget should they choose to do so down the line. Owning both Panasonic's and the 3600, just from a player perspective Panasonic wins hands down. See my 3600 review. The only reason I got it was because of the wireless. Netflix is OK, but I prefer the disc, less compression and artifacting. HD selection is very limited.

Disc loading time will vary by disc, depending on the complexity of the BD-J menu. The 3600 can take a while to go from drawer closed to first menu, also.

S~

I have a BD35, and would get a 1600 as a second player for Netflix/Pandora, assuming it doesn't turn out to have a lot of "issues" in the reviews. Samsungs have lately been good at upconverting and BD PQ, but are prone to playback issues with certain discs, and in some instances running hot. Having started with a PS3, I was surprised at the BD35 load time, but that's a minor gripe. I just put the disc in before hitting the fridge. :D

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts