Samsung 360 Problems on 720P channels on D*

Status
Please reply by conversation.

gkurcon

Active SatelliteGuys Member
Dec 9, 2004
It's become apparent that D* and the Samsung 360 seem to have some sort of issue when displaying anything that is filmed and broadcast over the 720P format, specifically on FOX-HD and ESPN-HD. If you have the 360, and are lucky enough to get one of the FOX-HD national feeds, try to watch a prime-time show and you'll see it. The problem is less evident on ESPN-HD, it seems to only be during some commercials and during presentations of "Hustle" or "3". Live sports on both channels are fine. Those with OTA FOX-HD connections on the 360 report that it works fine. Anyone else out there that has noticed this?

Lem52

SatelliteGuys Pro
Mar 18, 2004
Cookeville, TN
I have certainly had the problems that you mentioned. I have tried to get another reciever from directv, but all they will replace it with is Samsung's sister which is the RCA DC210. Those 2 recievers are almost identical. The RCA they sent me sucked so I sent it back and stay with the Samsung until I can pick up a used reciever at a reasonable price.

I am wondering if later built Samsungs have that flickering problem.

Lem52

Tonedeaf

SatelliteGuys Pro
Aug 30, 2004
Rockwall, TX
I noticed this last night. Very jittery picture and some serious audio sync as well. Will call D* to complain when I get home this evening.

I suggest we all call to complain so they fix it.

gkurcon

Dec 9, 2004
Since the box has both the Samsung and the D* logos stamped on it, I feel that each company has a certain amount of responsibility. It's been pointed out that depending upon where you bought your receiver from, you may or may not have had a choice in which box you got. I got mine from a local Best Buy, and to the best of my knowledge this was the only HD box on hand. In this situation, I think it's up to D* to resolve the issue, either through software patch, or replacement unit (obviously not with another 360). Just my thoughts.

dgordo

SatelliteGuys Pro
Aug 2, 2004
Chicago
I have called D* about this issue and they say I am the only one who has complained about this problem ;) , I would encourage everyone to call and let D* know that they are having this problem and maybe they will fix the problem. :shocked

twodutys

SatelliteGuys Family
Apr 21, 2004
Brighton, Co
dgordo said:
I have called D* about this issue and they say I am the only one who has complained about this problem ;) , I would encourage everyone to call and let D* know that they are having this problem and maybe they will fix the problem. :shocked

They did that to me too. They just playing their game. I saw several post on the audio sync problem before I called.

Hoss

SatelliteGuys Family
Oct 26, 2004
Glendale, AZ
I called Samsung to inquire about getting a new 360, and all I got was the "runaround". I spoke with three or four people at Samsung and they finally blamed the problem on the ESPN transmission. Well, I KNOW that is not the problem as I have the same problem on channel 89 (Fox). This is really aggravating and the problem will only get worse as more HD channels are added in 2005. I hope they can resolve this issue soon! I encourage everyone with a 360 to fill out the petition.

eyekahn

Dec 13, 2004
Maryland
Both ESPN and Fox broadcast in 720P. I only notice this problem during the commercials (captured in 480i) which need to be converted to P. The other complaints I've seen here are similar in nature. Why is anyone watching commercials anyway?

gkurcon

Dec 9, 2004
Try to watch a prime-time show on Fox (Malcolm, House, etc), you'll notice the problem. The same goes for movies like "3" or "Hustle" on ESPN-HD. If you are lucky enough to get ABC-HD when it goes live you will really notice it then. It's not just commercials.

cr0mag

SatelliteGuys Pro
Apr 22, 2004
New Orleans, LA
beast37799 said:
actually when i watch abc hd ota i dont notice any problems
I also notice the jittery picture on ESPN HD during the commercials, but fwiw when I'm watching fox and abc in HD via OTA I have no problems. I don't have an HD feed for the networks from the sats yet so I can't compare, but wouldn't the issue show up via OTA as well? I'm wondering if the issues that everyone is talking about are stemming from D*'s retransmission? :confused:

gkurcon

Dec 9, 2004
It seems to be happening more for people that have the national HD feeds, however there are some that have reported that it was happening on their OTA channels. The easiest way for you to see it is if you try to catch one of the movies they have on ESPN-HD....otherwise you'll probably only see it during commercials.

gkurcon

Dec 9, 2004
The problem seems to be affecting ABC-HD as well, now that they added it to the lineup.

mrand

Jan 11, 2005
Newbie here and I have the problem

Just signed up on the forums here and I saw this post. I also noticed the problem last night and thought I had messed something up. I signed the petition. :(

Elf

Jan 11, 2005
Oklahoma
I'd like to put in a quick word for the Tech CSR's: If you called DTV and you were told "nobody else has mentioned it", what they usually mean is "I've never heard this before", combined with "there's no customer-affecting-issues post in our system". Since not every tech takes every call, not every tech hears the same information at the same time, and we rely on prompt (cough cough cough) updates of our information to clue us in.

It's also quite probable that the Team Leaders have received hot information via email and haven't yet had the chance to cascade it to the teams.

If you're hearing "nobody else has said ... " just remember to add "to ME" at the end of it.

--Elf

Status
Please reply by conversation.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)