Samsung BD 1400 covers all the audio bases!

JoeSp

Supporting Founder
Original poster
Supporting Founder
Oct 11, 2003
Not only can you purchase this player for $299 you can now download firmware that will allow you DTS Master Hd audio sound with DolbyTrueHD! At least this is what is supposed to be on the new firmware dated 12/11/2007. Someone who owns a BD1400 download this new firmware and let us know what it does.

Last edited:
Looks like a close out fire sale price. Didnt this player do a lot of video gymnastics with inverse telecine instead of just outputting 1080p right off the disc? AS I recall it botched it when it first came out.

It botched alot when it came out. I tried 2 in 1 week. Couldn't even play SD-DVD's without issues at first. Kept stopping, freezing etc. Audio would turn off and had to power cycle unit to get sound back.

Glad to hear maybe they got the bugs worked out. Lots of open box deals out there that are priced higher then the new price now.

I just got one of these players. Had to do an imediate firmware update in order to play the new die hard movie.

After about an hour and 20 minutes the player started skipping/freezing. THe audio and video lost sync basically. I had to eject the movie then wipe it off. I did not see any dirt, lint or finger prints on the disk. restarted the movie after finding the apropriate point and worked fine after that.

yesterday I watched Alaxander Revisited. 1 hour 37 minutes, same issue as above. same process, eject wipe off disk, found finger print, the restart movie. worked fine afer that.

Any one have issues like this with this player? Is the blue ray that sensitive to dust dirt/ finger prints? If so I will have to work extra hard to keep my little girl away from it!

If this is a common issue hope do I resolve it? thanks for all helpful information.

Those are some of the problems I had wit the 2 units I tried. Some people have no problems, many are like yours and my experience. Check the 1400 thread at AVS to see what others have reported.

However, keep in mind that many do not consider that site "impartial" when it comes to the format war.

Cue Vurbano. ;)

Another report on POC issues with the BD-1400 and latest firmware- 1.2

After 2 hours there are several places at random locations that the audio skips but if I wait for a few seconds it returns to normal. If I repeat that part, it plays fine. but then does it again somewhere else. Seems these hesitations happen only on disks that play for more than 2 hours.

As such- Samsung needs to continue to work on this issue. They are on my hit list at CES!

Don, does the new firmware allow the BD-1400 to decode DolbyTrue HD and at least pass the DTSMaster HD?

I just watched Broken Arrow with DTS audio track and it passed it through the FO connect fine. Broken Arrow also comes with D-Box scripts. :) The movie played flawlessly.

All my audio is set for FO transfer. I don't have the analog outputs connected to my amp so I don't have internal decoding set up.

That is exactly what I was looking for -- I own an Onkyo 805 that will decode the DTSMaster HD and I was looking for a player to pass the bitstream. If the PS3 doesn't get this feature in Jan 08 I will be buying a new BD standalone.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 1, Members: 0, Guests: 1)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts