Samsung Laptops?

riffjim4069

SatelliteGuys Master
Original poster
Supporting Founder
Apr 7, 2004
SatelliteGuystonfieldville, U.S.A.
My wife and I replaced our aging laptops with Dell Inspiron i5 6GB models a few weeks ago. My wife likes her just fine, but I absolutely hate the mushy keyboard - I just cannot get used to it. Anyway, I was going to return the Dell to Costo and get the similarly configured Toshiba model when my eye caught a Samsung DLNA model. The specs were similar enough to the Dell and Toshiba, but it was much slimmer (about a pound lighter) and what piqued my interest was that it was came with 8GB for only $50 more than the Toshiba.

OK, my question is...are these Samsung laptops any good/reliable? I have the Costco 2-year warranty (which is about how long I keep a laptop these days), but I just don't need any troubles...that's why I'm leaning toward the Toshiba. Of course, since I'm a poweruser and run virtual maches at times...I could use the additional 2GB SDRAM.

The Models:
Dell Inspiron I15R-6944DBK
Toshiba A665-5199X
Samsung NP300V5A

Thanks in advance!

I haven't used a Samsung as a full-time replacement for a work laptop.
But I know few people that do. Haven't heard neither positive nor negative remarks...

Their Series 3 and 9 line get good reviews. Not sure about their mainstream models.

Diogen.

I haven't used a Samsung as a full-time replacement for a work laptop.
But I know few people that do. Haven't heard neither positive nor negative remarks...

Their Series 3 and 9 line get good reviews. Not sure about their mainstream models.

Diogen.

Your experience about the Samsung is similar to what I hearing...nothing. Nobody I know has anything good or bad to say about them. It's like they just started selling 'em.

Bought my son a Toshiba laptop last week for college. Looked at the samsungs, but like everyone else has said, there was simply no data out there on them, and none of the sales droids knew anything about them either.

I'd go with the Toshiba. They are a pretty good and reputable manufacturer. I don't have any Experience with Samsung laptops either.

Sent from my iPad 2 using the SatelliteGuys App

I'd go with the Toshiba. They are a pretty good and reputable manufacturer. I don't have any Experience with Samsung laptops either.

Sent from my iPad 2 using the SatelliteGuys App

My last Windows laptop was a Toshiba. Pretty solid, going strong after 2 years. Now my wife's computer.

Everything is leaning toward the Toshiba as being rock-solid and reliable over the unknown Samsung. The only real advantage is the 2GB of addition RAM for a nominal price difference. The Samsung is also DLNA certified, but I seriously doubt that I will ever be using it to stream to my PS3 and Sony Bravia. OK, is it me or did anyone else notice how "squishy" and cheap the Dell keyboards feel? I would gladly keep the Dell of I could work past this issue.

Using Latitudes for years - no problems.
Had a Vostro 3450 last week, can't really complain.
But I will admit to not being a speed typist by any measure...

The note/netbook industry pretty much standardized on chiclet keyboards (MacBook started it).
At least in the consumer space. And I don't think you have a choice in this race to be thin and light...

Diogen.

I have read where Toshiba and Asus are similar in reliability and tops in the industry but I do not think they had Samsung on the list. I will say this though. Me and a friend of mine each had Toshiba Satellite laptops and in around a year's time we both had a number of issues with them. Now I am really leery of them and try to stay away from them as a result.

The Sony Vaio's I have owned have always ran along with a Dell Inspiron but the Vaio's both had battery detection issues or something with them and the cd/dvd disk drive went out in both the Inspiron and Sony Vaio. I was still able to get on the internet and do the other functions on them though so they lasted a while in that aspect. I have one Vaio that is about a year old and another one that is a little over four years old and still going. I wish I knew what that issue with the battery detection was. I have to keep it plugged in.

I am quite curious about the Samsung laptops. I have a Samsung television for about two years and no problems but a laser printer has a manufacturer's glitch with a sensor that prevents it from printing so I am not happy about that.

Anecdotes don't mean much. Statistics aren't much better because so much never gets reported. As for keyboard, hard drive, DVD drive, memory failures, it all comes down to which chinese factory they are sourcing their generic components from. There is likely nothing in a Samsung/Toshiba/HP/Dell laptop that was actually made or designed by the company with the name, except possibly the case.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)