Samsung TS360, what are the issues?

Status
Please reply by conversation.

egkor

Original poster
Sep 16, 2003
Hi,

I recently bought a HDTV, and upgraded my D* to include a phase-III 3 LNB dish and a Samsung TS360 HD receiver.

Since I brought the Sammy home and connected everything up, I have read on these threads that the Sammy has issues.

But, I have not been able to find posts that detail these issues.

So, would someone please summarize, what *are* the issues with the Sammy TS360? I will return the unit for a refund and look elsewhere as I bought it new for $299 at CompUSA (along with the HDTV). I'd rather have a receiver that delivers HD without issues.

Thanks in advance,
-Gary K

Gary:
I have the TS360 and there were some issues with flickering and audio being out of sync on material displayed in 720p mode. This has been fixed. My TS360 has no problems what-so-ever. From what I've heard, others have some (although different) issues so I'm happy with my Sammy now!

Hope this helps!

The TS360 I have works pretty good now after all that flickering got fixed. I do have a problem with this reciever drawing lines across the screen about an inch apart. Then I have to turn it off to make the lines go away. Sometimes they will be gone for days but sometimes they return in minutes to hours.

Lem52

Thanks for your replies!

I am getting out-of-synch audio and video, seemingly randomly, on some HD channels (can't recall if sat. HD, OTA HD, or both).

I have had the TS360 receiver connected to the dish and phone line and activated for several days, I would think the software update with the 720P fix has been downloaded by now.

I am thinking any video "flicker" issue is fixed since I don't see that. But I do have the audio/video synch issue.

Thanks again,
-Gary K

There was no download to fix the 720p issue.. It was fixed at the broadcast site.. I have had a 360 for over a year and no problems at all.. I only use it for D*, no ota or cable.. I read a lot of threads about its problems, but i read the same threads about everyother hd receiver out there..

egkor said:
Thanks for your replies!

I am getting out-of-synch audio and video, seemingly randomly, on some HD channels (can't recall if sat. HD, OTA HD, or both).

I have had the TS360 receiver connected to the dish and phone line and activated for several days, I would think the software update with the 720P fix has been downloaded by now.

I am thinking any video "flicker" issue is fixed since I don't see that. But I do have the audio/video synch issue.

Thanks again,
-Gary K

As mentioned above, the out-of-synch and jumping issues that plagued the Sammy (and apparently some other receivers) on 720p stations was fixed, reportedly at the source. There is STILL an audio dropout and double-skip problem on some HD stations but this is something that is happening with EVERY receiver, again it's probably a source issue. I would venture to say that the problem you're experiencing is THAT one.

The only other issue I recall is that, at least for those of us with ReplayTVs, you couldn't control the Samsung with either a serial cable or IR blaster. But that's the only other problem I recall. Mine's been OK, for the most part (except my picture turns upside down once in a blue moon :) ).

=NLK=

Ok, I feel better now!

Thanks NLK and everyone!

I feel better about the Sammy now!

Other than the audio/video synch issue, I have one other issue that I initially thought might be with the TS 360, but now I think might be with the HDTV.

When using the DVI cable from receiver to widescreen HDTV,
when viewing OTA or satellite HD,
when the video is 4:3 (there are bars on the sides),

*then sometimes*

I get white up at the very top of the picture, and it flickers. It is annoying to try to watch the video and have the flickering white at the top.

To me, the white is a like video that is compressed into a horizontal line at the top of my screen, and when the action in the video is changing, it looks like the white line at screen top is flickering.

When I change from DVI to the Component cable connection (at the receiver and the HDTV), this white line and flickering go away.

I thought the DVI was the best connection option, but in my case it introduces a video glitch.

Thanks again for all the help,
-Gary K

I have tried HDMI/DVI vs. component cable on two totally different setups & have yet to see a difference between the two.

In my case, the DVI cable made my wallet flatter than the Component cable.

:D

-Gary K

I have had 2 TS360's now for over a year and have had NO problems.

I see no differfence in PQ with DVI vs. component.

bigbw said:
There was no download to fix the 720p issue.. It was fixed at the broadcast site.. I have had a 360 for over a year and no problems at all.. I only use it for D*, no ota or cable.. I read a lot of threads about its problems, but i read the same threads about everyother hd receiver out there..

I never had these issues with my LG or zenith box.

I recently purchased a Panasonic TH42PX50U 42" plasma HDTV that I am using the Sammy TS360 with.

The issue I am bumping into now is: When using a "DVI to HDMI" cable to the Panny, the Panny will not display 720p or 1080i from the Sammy (only 480p).

I'm trying to determine of it is a Sammy issue, or a Panny issue. I can get other HDMI sources to work at 720p and 1080i with the Panny. And, I can get the Sammy to work at 720p and 1080i with a different HDTV. They just don't work together when using "DVI to HDMI" cable from Sammy to Panny.

-egkor (Gary K)

Status
Please reply by conversation.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts