sanitizing remotes

An ounce of prevention...
If you have remotes that are prone to getting dirty or wet, (like in kitchens, baths, etc.) put them in a zip-lock baggie. Yea, it's not the most attractive, but the remote still functions normally, & it does keep them from getting dirty in the first place. Much easier & cheaper to change baggies than remotes... ;)

An ounce of prevention...
If you have remotes that are prone to getting dirty or wet, (like in kitchens, baths, etc.) put them in a zip-lock baggie. Yea, it's not the most attractive, but the remote still functions normally, & it does keep them from getting dirty in the first place. Much easier & cheaper to change baggies than remotes... ;)
You can also fill the baggie with bread crumbs, then follow my directions above.

A small blowtorch, like plumbers use for soldering pipe. Or, placing it in the oven until an internal temperature of 165deg F is maintained for at least 5 mins.

That is funny :clap

My oldest daughter is a real blonde, she has dropped her cell phone in the bathtub and the last time in a cup she was holding that had tea in it.
She did put her phone in the oven for about 15 minutes to let it dry out, and it is still working.

I have used the "sanitizing" wipes in the past, but I cannot remember if it contained bleach or not -- and since "bleach" was mentioned it probably isn't a good idea. How about using a can of lysol or equivalent aerosal sanitizer, spraying it into a paper towel, and then gently wiping the remote? I believe you want to avoid spraying lysol directly onto the remote AND I don't believe such canned sanitizers contain bleach.

That is funny :clap

My oldest daughter is a real blonde, she has dropped her cell phone in the bathtub and the last time in a cup she was holding that had tea in it.
She did put her phone in the oven for about 15 minutes to let it dry out, and it is still working.
Mmmm. I love the smell of fresh, hot cell phone from the oven!

El Cheapo here...I just spray Windex onto a soft cloth (e.g., old tee-shirt) and it keeps the remote farm in excellent shape.

Attachments

• DSC_00070001.JPG
    DSC_00070001.JPG
    113.1 KB · Views: 171
I have never sanitized a remote. I guess you might want to keep that in mind before using them. They don't look particularly dirty to me, but as I understand there are 10x more bacterial life in each of us than actual human cells. Therefore I conclude my remotes are probably crusted in an invisible cake of living organisms just like you (and me). It's nice, they help digest our food for us and do other things beneficial. The recent push to sanitize everything, wipe down surfaces of your home in killing agents, etc. may be counterproductive to your health. I understand of course if someone has flu that doesn't want to be shared, but dont sweat the normal life on Earth.

If you just mean clean the remote, versus sanitize, I would suggest a mild soapy solution almost fully wrung out, thats the typical answer.

I get equipment back from customers all the time, and I'll tell ya some of these remotes I get back are so greesy and dirty I just can't imagine having to give them to another customer.

Think about getting a greesy remote back from a customer in a house filled with trash, try cleaning it and then think about taking that same remote with you to use while your watching TV in bed.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 1, Members: 0, Guests: 1)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts