SAT. 118

Dishworld is not a viable solution as its sling/internet based and does not have a dvr option. From my knowledge the International package are now considered as a basic package and you don't need to subscribe to any thing more. You do need the dish 500+ to get the 118 with the guide as the guide is pulled from the other sats.

They will be adding additional international HD channels to 118. My theory was if they replicated the channels of 118 onto 77. then the internationals, specially in the east can use the one dish solution as well.
Out of curiosity, can you subscribe to just International Basic or Chinese Basic for $10 per month without adding any other international package?

I always wondered why Dish couldn't just add the Dish 500+ as a wing dish to an Eastern Arc installation, instead of the other way around, until I read r10fret's posts about 118 requiring guide info from at least one other Western Arc location. If that is the case, then it makes sense why 118 would not work with an Eastern Arc setup. What does not make sense is why Dish doesn't mirror the international channels on Eastern Arc, or make a multi-dish switch that can handle more than four satellite locations more widely available. (I have read about a DPP62 switch, but I have never seen one.) If an international installation requires the full Western Arc, what happens if the subscriber is in a market that requires Eastern Arc for HD locals? That subscriber is put in a situation where he has to give up something, either doing without HD locals or doing without HD national channels if he uses a 2nd dish for 61.5 and connects that to the LNB In port on the Dish 1000+ instead of connecting 129.

Aren't international subscribers required to subscribe to a basic package (either International Basic or Chinese Basic) that also includes some basic English-language channels from the other satellites?
Not that I am aware of. Unless things have changed, one can get Internationals only, if they wish, and even with free equipment depending upon the International package subscription, or with nominal charges.

Dish seems to be priming DishWorld as a replacement to how people currently access international programming using a satellite down link to viewing as a streaming service. Dishworld is a near clone of Dish Internationals at 118. DishWorld is at about 200 channels in 18 languages, so far. This is a far more economical way to deliver content that now currently requires the lease of both a satellite and a slot for it along with hardware at the home such as reflector and LNBF and wiring and expensive Set-Top-Boxes and labor to install all that compared to a subscriber only needing their Roku, and while I believe there are no DVR capabilities yet for DishWorld, I've seen that a lot of Dish International subscribers using liner, non-DVR boxes to access the Dish Internationals service. I've spoken to some and they just don't seem interested in DVR's. On the other hand, those International subs who also watch a lot of the standard Dish packages seem more open to a DVR. Some CSR's are even advising new customers who are seeking internationals to use DishWorld. I have been told this by those seeking internationals as potential new customers with Dish. In two of those cases, they got what they wanted via DishWorld streaming service. I don't know about the others. It seems like access to internationals in the future may be exclusively DishWorld, IMHO.

Edit: Just found out that DishWorld has been re-branded Sling International

Out of curiosity, can you subscribe to just International Basic or Chinese Basic for $10 per month without adding any other international package?
Aren't international subscribers required to subscribe to a basic package (either International Basic or Chinese Basic) that also includes some basic English-language channels from the other satellites?
Not that I am aware of. Unless things have changed, one can get Internationals only, if they wish, and even with free equipment depending upon the International package subscription, or with nominal charges.
Okay. The last time I asked Dish about switching to just International Basic plus Locals, their system wouldn't let me. I was told that International Basic would require an additional international package. Otherwise, the minimum package available was Welcome Pack.

In the thread "Internationals only" Matt G. from DIRT said:
"There is a minimum package required and it depends on which package you wish to have. You will need more satellites than just 118 regardless"
In the link provided by Matt G. it says:
"To select an International package you must subscribe to one of the following: qualifying American package, International Basic package or Chinese Basic package."

I always wondered why Dish couldn't just add the Dish 500+ as a wing dish to an Eastern Arc installation, instead of the other way around, until I read r10fret's posts about 118 requiring guide info from at least one other Western Arc location. If that is the case, then it makes sense why 118 would not work with an Eastern Arc setup. What does not make sense is why Dish doesn't mirror the international channels on Eastern Arc, or make a multi-dish switch that can handle more than four satellite locations more widely available. (I have read about a DPP62 switch, but I have never seen one.) If an international installation requires the full Western Arc, what happens if the subscriber is in a market that requires Eastern Arc for HD locals? That subscriber is put in a situation where he has to give up something, either doing without HD locals or doing without HD national channels if he uses a 2nd dish for 61.5 and connects that to the LNB In port on the Dish 1000+ instead of connecting 129.

I have used the eastern arc in mix with the 118 only. The setup was 72, 61.5, 77 and I added the 118 in the single input. The International LNB had to be changed out to the version without the built in switch. I didn't have an issue with the guide populating and it worked totally fine.

I don't understand why does dish not help customers with mixed arc solutions. I currently am on 11/119/118.5 and 72 for HD's. I don't have an issue at all. I am on the west and get 72.7 just fine with the old dish 500 with dpp lnb. I had to buy my own AI Turbo S2 to make that a reality. Dish walked away stating I couldn't get 129 hence no HD which was very disappointing.

I guess Dish does not care much for the Internationals as It would replicate 118 onto 77. For the sake of discussion, all internationals were earlier located on 61.5 before the 118 FSS came into being. I believe in the earlier days it was 61.5 and for the west, we could point to 148 which is not a defunct satellite location. The eastern arc is a blessing for the eastern folks but the lack of 118 mirror onto either 61.5 or 77 is a huge problem as people have to put up two ugly dishes just to make sense with the programming.

Reactions: TheKrell
I have used the eastern arc in mix with the 118 only. The setup was 72, 61.5, 77 and I added the 118 in the single input. The International LNB had to be changed out to the version without the built in switch. I didn't have an issue with the guide populating and it worked totally fine.

I don't understand why does dish not help customers with mixed arc solutions. I currently am on 11/119/118.5 and 72 for HD's. I don't have an issue at all. I am on the west and get 72.7 just fine with the old dish 500 with dpp lnb. I had to buy my own AI Turbo S2 to make that a reality. Dish walked away stating I couldn't get 129 hence no HD which was very disappointing.
Yes, I also use the older Dish 1000+ without the built-in swtch. I guess Dish does not install those anymore. Also, the installers might not want to have to install two dishes, or a two dish solution might not be included in the free "standard" installation.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)