Switch from Leased Hopper to Owned VIP222k

ksbuie

Pub Member / Supporter
Original poster
Dec 23, 2007
If I switched from a leased Hopper/Super Joey combo to one owned VIP222k would I be able to eliminate all monthly equipment charges?

Currently paying $12 DVR fee plus $10 Super Joey fee.

Thanks

Yes, but not because the receiver is owned. The first receiver on the account is free of fees (unless it's a DVR, which the 222k is not). Additional receivers would have the same fees, leased or owned.

Reactions: Scott Greczkowski
The 222 does a lot less than the Hopper. Would you be going from the frying pan into the fire?
More like from a rock concert at Wembley Stadium to a pimped out jukebox at the local watering hole.

If the TS is okay with giving up all DVR features, three tuners and HD on the remote TV, the ViP222K will meet the goal but losing those features probably isn't worth the savings. There are likely better ways to cut the bill. I'd start with replacing the Super Joey with a regular Joey.

More like from a rock concert at Wembley Stadium to a pimped out jukebox at the local watering hole.

Hey! There's something to be said about a pimped out jukebox at the watering hole. :D And note that he'd be going from 5 tuners (w/super Joey) to 2 (with a 222).

The 222 does a lot less than the Hopper. Would you be going from the frying pan into the fire?
Yep, and the 222 CAN'T be turned into a DVR like the 211. Hope OP realizes that.

Yeah, agreed that he is probably better off eliminating the Super Joey and having only the Hopper. That leaves him with 3 sat tuners and 1 OTA (if he has/gets the USB module OTA tuner) and even more tuners available for recording during either PTAT or tuned to any of the LIL's 24/7 for up to 6 simultaneous recordings via satellite. 222K would be non-DVR, only 2 sat tuners at all times, and if he gets the OTA module for the ViP's, 2 OTA Tuners, but this only gets him HD in ONE ROOM, with the other room being noisy RF channel in SD only.

If he needs HD in the second room, he can ditch the Super Joey, and get a standard Joey, and while that is a small savings compared to just a Hopper, the 222K is just not at all the same experience as the Hopper.

OP, just re-examine what you need and want from your Dish system. As others have said, the modest savings of your suggested 222K, will give you a significantly diminished experience that may not be worth what you were thinking. I would even try to go to a lower package level, if possible. But, it is your call. Just don't be upset when you find the experience far from the Hopper experience. Best of luck to you.

There have seen some suggest dropping the super joey and going with a regular joey. From my prospective this would not be a smart move. The Super gives you 5 tuners vs 3 pretty much eliminating not having an available tuner to record or view with. And it is only 3 dollars a month more. If 3 dollars a month has any bearing on your financial picture you need to be looking a lot more than just the cost of TV service.

In my case, the ViP222k would have been worth the savings. I wish they were still available from Dish. (There was a thread about Dish discontinuing the ViP222k.)

We've got a lot of 222K's. Call your local dealer. ;)

Could always go with 211z. First one's free of monthly fees, additional ones are $7 per month. A one-time $40 fee makes all 211 receivers on the account DVR-capable with the addition of external hard drives, something the 222 is not capable of, as KAB said. Add a USB-OTA dongle, and you have an extra tuner to work with for over-the-air local-TV broadcasts.

I always felt that $22 in fees before you add in programming costs is absurd. It's just TV. It's just not worth that, at least to me.

Could always go with 211z. First one's free of monthly fees, additional ones are $7 per month. A one-time $40 fee makes all 211 receivers on the account DVR-capable with the addition of external hard drives, something the 222 is not capable of, as KAB said. Add a USB-OTA dongle, and you have an extra tuner to work with for over-the-air local-TV broadcasts.

I always felt that $22 in fees before you add in programming costs is absurd. It's just TV. It's just not worth that, at least to me.
I basically agree with you, except that I would go with the ViP211k, since the OTA tuner is built-in.

Reactions: renegade734

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)