sat but no ch

• WELCOME TO THE NEW SERVER!

If you are seeing this you are on our new server WELCOME HOME!

While the new server is online Scott is still working on the backend including the cachine. But the site is usable while the work is being completes!

Thank you for your patience and again WELCOME HOME!

CLICK THE X IN THE TOP RIGHT CORNER OF THE BOX TO DISMISS THIS MESSAGE

NeilVE6

Original poster
Jun 15, 2021
Edmonton AB
Just trying to set up a new Amiko mini 4KS2X on a old star choice 1 M dish a couple of times it has returned a satellite name ( Anik F1 & Galaxy 19) but it completes the scan and does not list any channels TV or radio what am I missing ? It is set to universal LNB and I am doing a blind scan.
Neil

Are you sure the dish is still aimed at a satellite properly?

Satellite aiming is way different that say OTA antenna. Where you just aim in the general direction and scan. The dish must be aimed perfectly on a satellite or you will not get anything. If you do not have a satellite finder meter, you can use the receiver and a small TV out at the dish. We can help you set that up, if you don't have any other way to set up a dish.

Neil are you actually using a universal LNBF or is it a standard and linear? For 97W needs to scan 11700 to 12200 mHz linear. Won't be anything above 12200 on that bird.
As Mike said you can use your receiver to find the satellite. Try setting up a transponder such as 12152 H 20000 dvbs qpsk and panning very slowly in the area the satellite should be.
Not sure how it figures out the satellite name without receiving transponders though. maybe something new with that receiver?

Not sure how it figures out the satellite name without receiving transponders though. maybe something new with that receiver?
It does not. I am guessing he is just picking different ones and hitting blind scan. He will figure it all out with our help. :)

You guys are too quick LOL I have an old satellite finder and the owner will be by to run it on the weekend, it seems kind of flakey. I do have the RX and TV at the dish thats how I got to where I am LOL. The LNBF is a WST ESX522U so universal for sure. The part that does confuse me Gord is that it returns a satellite name on the scan but no channels, back to work tomorrow but hope to spend some time with it on the weekend.....thanks for the help guys...and happy Canada day Gord.

Reactions: Cham
The satellite name is whatever is programmed into the receiver. It doesn't pull this information during a scan or get it from space.

The receiver can say "Galaxy 19" and if it's aimed at Galaxy 19 you'll get all the programs. Equally, you can aim it at a different satellite and scan in different programs, or you can aim it at the ground and get nothing. The receiver will still display "Galaxy 19" in all these examples. You can even rename the satellite in your receiver to Neilsat. If the dish is pointed at Galaxy 19, it will still scan in the programs and report they are on Neilsat. So ignore the satellite name.

Probably your dish isn't pointed at anything or you have a setting wrong somewhere. In the latter case, most likely the LNB setting does not match the LNB in use. Check that it is set up for a universal LNB. Also double check the cable run from the dish and make sure the connectors are tight and not corroded. During testing, remove any splitters or switches that might be in the signal path.

Assuming you still don't have a signal, the dish is probably not pointed correctly.

As suggested, the best way to aim this yourself is to go into the manual setting and define a known, strong transponder. Then you can adjust the dish by watching the S (Signal) and Q (Quality) meter on screen. Like the satellite name, the S reading is not what it seems. It's saying there is a signal from LNB, not that it has a signal from a satellite. Your S reading will probably be around 70-90% and just sit there all day long no matter where the dish is pointed.

What you're looking at is the Q reading, which is the quality of the signal coming down. Assuming the dish is mispointed, you need to slowly move it around until you see the Q meter start to move, then even more finely move it until you peak the reading. Then you should be pointing at the satellite and you can blind scan. The dish needs to be aligned to within one degree of where the satellite is, so it might take a while and you need patience. But the folks here will help you through it.

Reactions: Cham and FTA4PA
And -- perhaps stating the obvious here (apologies) -- you might double-check that the post the dish is mounted onto is plumb, and that the elevation setting on the dish is correct for the satellite you're shooting for. If neither is correct, panning the dish in azimuth may not pick up the satellite you're aiming for no matter how much you pan the dish back and forth.

Richard

Neil have you had any luck with the sat-finder? Curious if you have found one of the satellites. 1m dish should yield decent signals. If the elevation is right you might try a blind-scan, might luck out and find some TPs that would tell you where you are pointing

Thanks guys I been thru the obvious and not so obvious I honestly believe I have a bad LNB. My friend was not able to stop by today but we are scheduled for tomorrow or later in the week. Your right with a 1M dish it shouldn't be this difficult LOL. He will bring along a know good universal LNB. I have been thru the type and confirmed all settings. I set the dish on an azimuth and scanned vertically in small increments then moved the azimuth and repeated tried Galaxy 19 and Anik Ku at 107 both should give good coverage here in Edmonton. I have a completely clear shot at both.....wil post my progress when I have some. LOL

Reactions: k.r. and Cham

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts