SAT/CATV to multiple rooms

• WELCOME TO THE NEW SERVER!

If you are seeing this you are on our new server WELCOME HOME!

While the new server is online Scott is still working on the backend including the cachine. But the site is usable while the work is being completes!

Thank you for your patience and again WELCOME HOME!

CLICK THE X IN THE TOP RIGHT CORNER OF THE BOX TO DISMISS THIS MESSAGE

Shmoo

Original poster
Aug 21, 2004
Goal: Route CATV and D* Satellite via RG-6 runs to multiple rooms and move sat receivers to different locations as needed.

Assumptions: DishPro compatible receivers (or legacy with adaptor), DishPro Twin on the mast, individual RG-6 runs to multiple rooms, DC passing diplexers on the Sat side.

I understand the use of DP34's to cascade the satellite signals to multiple locations. Can I diplex the CATV signal on to the DP34 output RG-6 runs and then diplex them off the runs at the receiver locations? I'm talking about an 8-way split on the CATV. Will it work or am I way off base? :confused:

Welcome aboard!

First, Dish is E* (Echostar) D* means DirecTV.

Theoretically, putting diplexers on the output ports of the DP34s is not an issue. Whether you can drive EIGHT of them from the CATV is a different question.

Have you considered a different approach? Instead of moving receivers all over the place, just route their outputs around the house. This might remove the requirement for a second switch, too. You do not say how many receivers you want, nor their types, so it's difficult to advise.

Of course, high-quality connections can be an issue - for example, HDTV. Of course, you're not going to be moving an HD receiver all over.

Thanks for the E* correction - I'm a new guy. I used the output routing trick in our old home and am trying to avoid dragging any new cable. Receivers at this time are: 4500 (legacy) and 501. We will most likely not have more than 2 satellite receivers attached but will have some additional CATV only sets around the house. Will probably upgrade the 4500 if/when a new dual-tuner unit comes out.

I guess I don't understand. You're trying to avoid dragging cable, but I don't know what cable already exists, or whether it's suitable for satellite feeds. DishPro requires RG-6 rated to at least 2150MHz. You say you're going to have CATV-only TVs, and yet you also say you're going to move satellite receivers around. Very confusing.

The house is pre-wired with 8 RG-6 runs, all suitable for SATV - we have 1 rcvr up and running with good signal. We plan to use 2 E* receivers and want to be able to place them at any one of the 8 RG-6 terminals. So, running SATV via DP34s and the existing 8 RG-6 runs is not the real issue. The question is whether I can diplex the CATV feed onto one or more of the DP34 outputs outside and use a diplexer inside to split out the SATV & CATV at whatever location we want to use for SATV or purely CATV. As an example - we may want to temporarily move a SATV receiver and to another room. I want to be able to move the receiver and TV and be in business - I don't want to have to go outside and switch feeds.

Well, it's your money. Just seems like adding two DP34's is a waste to me.

So, we're back to my original reply which is that it's theoretically possible - but it depends entirely on the quality and strength of your cable signal.

Diplexers are used all the time for these situations - but driving EIGHT feeds off a single CATV, well that might be asking a bit much.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts