OTHER Sat Dish Size Advice

• WELCOME TO THE NEW SERVER!

If you are seeing this you are on our new server WELCOME HOME!

While the new server is online Scott is still working on the backend including the cachine. But the site is usable while the work is being completes!

Thank you for your patience and again WELCOME HOME!

CLICK THE X IN THE TOP RIGHT CORNER OF THE BOX TO DISMISS THIS MESSAGE

rico123

Original poster
Nov 5, 2020
Iowa
I want to put together a Ku band FTA system for my popup camper for when I go off grid for a a week or two at a time. Naturally I want it to be as small as possible but I also know it needs to be big enough to actually receive signals. I'm seeing sizes of 39 inches, 36 inches, and 30 inches. So my question will a 30 inch dish work? Most of my off grid camping is in the southwest US. I like the idea of something smaller and compact, but figured I would get advice here first.

90cm is a great performer without going way up in size and making it too bulky to transport often. I live in Arkansas and started with a 75cm elliptical PrimeStar that pulled in all of the constant Ku channels from 87-125w. I had the Eagle Aspen 270KU LNB and feedhorn to match the dish shape. That could work as well if you ever find one to use strictly for camp.

Reactions: comfortably_numb
BTW.
According to the specs, that is what I would call a 85 cm dish, not 90....
So the effective reflective surface is 7% smaller.
Diameter93.5cm tall x 85 cm wide - This is an OVAL Offset dish.

Apart from that, I have no opinions or doubts or whatever on the dish.

Greetz,
A33

BTW.
According to the specs, that is what I would call a 85 cm dish, not 90....
So the effective reflective surface is 7% smaller.
Diameter93.5cm tall x 85 cm wide - This is an OVAL Offset dish.

Apart from that, I have no opinions or doubts or whatever on the dish.

Greetz,
A33

So how much better would that be than the 30 inch /75cm Winegard?

A 30" dish is not 2 degree compliant. The additional beamwidth on an undersized reflector will not reject strong signals on adjacent 2 degree separated satellites. This may or may not be a problem, depending on the satellite and transponder that you are trying to receive.

rico123 I see you're in Iowa, which isn't far from me (Missouri). A 76cm would probably net you most feeds on 87, 95, 97, and 103. I used to have 2 of those Winegard dishes and they are supurb, but if you have the space and the money, the 90cm would be better overall.

A 30" dish is not 2 degree compliant. The additional beamwidth on an undersized reflector will not reject strong signals on adjacent 2 degree separated satellites. This may or may not be a problem, depending on the satellite and transponder that you are trying to receive.

Thanks, I get that. I also assume that it will be a bit more touchy on aligning it?

rico123 I see you're in Iowa, which isn't far from me (Missouri). A 76cm would probably net you most feeds on 87, 95, 97, and 103. I used to have 2 of those Winegard dishes and they are supurb, but if you have the space and the money, the 90cm would be better overall.

Yeah, I am in Iowa, but I'll be using it when camping out. If any luck I'll be out in the southwest for camping in the next month or two. I hate winters. I'll be attaching it to a rack on the back of my popup camper while traveling and then putting it in place at each stop. I don't think 6 inches will really be too big to move and if it is helps then I'll do it.

Thanks a million for all your help.

Reactions: comfortably_numb

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)