Sat Meter

Paul9971

Well-Known SatelliteGuys Member
Original poster
Nov 10, 2019
Minneapolis, MN
New member here.. I wanted to ask you what is good quality satellite signal meter for a budget of no more than $200?. It's getting real cold and I don't want to drag out the receiver and monitor for peaking and dish setup. It's does not need to be really fancy just be able to acquire and peak the dish on a bird. I have seen some out there that are cheap but you get what you pay for. Until know I have just brought the monitor and receiver out but a good meter is really the way to go. Any suggestions would be appreciated.

Glad I found this website. Spent 4 hours looking throughout the posts and some of them were spot on when looking for a particular issue with my setup.

Reactions: spongella
Welcome to SatelliteGuys!

If you have an Enigma2 based receiver, download the free DreamDroid app for any Android device. This app allows your tablet or phone to wirelessly display via your WLAN: Signal Quality, Signal Strength, provides motor control and watch programming (including 4:2:2).

Reactions: EmCommSat
That's
Welcome to SatelliteGuys!

If you have an Enigma2 based receiver, download the free DreamDroid app for any Android device. This app allows your tablet or phone to wirelessly display via your WLAN: Signal Quality, Signal Strength, provides motor control and watch programming (including 4:2:2).

That's not a bad idea. I have 2 MicroHD receivers one works great the other not so great so a perfect time to upgrade to an E2 based receiver.

Reactions: Titanium
Welcome to the group Paul. I agree, having a satellite meter with a built-in receiver saves lots of time and energy when at the dish. I use an 8Dtek Desired that is a meter and rcvr. Downside it does not decode MPEG4 as this is an older meter. Not sure what's new on the market but you have the right idea, have fun, hope you find what you are looking for.

Question to the group though, what's the latest version of a standalone satellite meter with built-in FTA rcvr that is not a Smartphone?

By the way, those Smartphones are really handy, the other day our ham club was installing a short tower for an EME dish and we needed a level. One of the guys had an app on his phone that's a level. Unbelievable! It's a great age we are living in.

It definitely be helpful to decode tge video so I can verify what I am trying to get. It appears to handle
mpeg4 which would be perfect to get 125° for PBS and LPB @ 87° (Big PBS Watcher) and for another ku band satellite for a different bird. The mentioned receiver would get lots of work being my main fta receiver now and it doing a bunch of cool things. I have to play musical chairs with my dishes to to hit the ones I want due to trees. Brian sells one of the best FTA receivers I have ever seen and plan on getting it from him soon. Unfortunately I don't have a c-band dish but plan on getting one when it decides to warm up to melt the lousy snow in the spring to get some of C-Band stuff.

I have seen basic meters for the price of the Edison OS boses so it makes sense to go that route Having a dual purpose receiver gives me best of both worlds.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 1, Members: 0, Guests: 1)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)