Please reply by conversation.

wallyhts

SatelliteGuys Pro
Original poster
Staff member
HERE TO HELP YOU!
Lifetime Supporter
Apr 24, 2008
If you’re like me you always find out about the ITC feeds after they are no longer ITC.

I was playing around with a DVB-S2 card and linux last night.

Here’s the idea.

I want to setup a small Sat farm of C-band dish’s pointed at. 65°W 70°W 72°W 75°W 78°W 83°W 84°W 87°W 89°W 91°W 93.1°W 95°W 97°W 99°W 101°W 105°W 107.3°W 111.1°W 113°W 116.8°W 118.8°W 119°W 121°W 123°W 125°W 127°W 131°W 133°W 135°W 137°W

Two linux boxes per satellite scanning 24/7 in the event something opens up (ITC) or a new feed pops up you will know within 30 seconds via your preferred method. (Email, txt etc….)

What do you think?:)

30 C-band dishes and 60 computers is "small"? What, did you win the lottery?

Sounds like a great idea, if you have the real estate and funding for it.

30 C-band dishes and 60 computers is "small"? What, did you win the lottery?

Sounds like a great idea, if you have the real estate and funding for it.

LOL I wish i won the lottery if that was the case free dishes for everyone.

All the C-band dish's would be freebies from door knocking. Computers would just be Core 2 Duo off lease units from an asset recovery company. (Cheap) I'm in Kentucky and can rent a farm acre for next to nothing.

Do you want to do this for a hobby or business? If it's a planned business, have you read this thread?

Kind of like this?

USA.NM.VeryLargeArray.02.jpg

Last edited:
If you provide this service, protect the hobby!

Have a service agreement that would prevent subscribers from sharing the information and be willing and able to enforce that it is for private use only.

Detecting that a service is broadcasting is one aspect, but I personally wouldn't want to receive an email everytime an unidentified carrier was detected. Probably need to have the human interaction to ID the broadcast as most feeds are without identification as to the event or location.

If you provide this service, protect the hobby!

Have a service agreement that would prevent subscribers from sharing the information and be willing and able to enforce that it is for private use only.

That's the fear I have I don't want to ruin anything.

Perhaps maybe a "cloud" sat scan would be better.

For example person would log into website and then select which sat(s) they want to scan and then can export that scan after cherry picking for their STB.

The topic has been visited before with mixed reviews. My opinion? It seems like a good idea.

Last edited:
I have had the chance to have two of those given to me over the years. I would love one but don't have the room. Bad enough all the dishes I have now are in my front yard. :D

I remember years ago there was this guy in Florida who leased a transponder for himself and ran his own personal teleport. He would show old TV shows and movies and it was ITC, and I think you could rent airtime off of him or just send in a VHS tape and he'd air it for a fee. He had one of these in his yard. IIRC his yard didn't look big at all, maybe only a quarter acre, and this dish dominated it. I can't remember the name of that channel or his "network" for the life of me though.

I have had the chance to have two of those given to me over the years. I would love one but don't have the room. Bad enough all the dishes I have now are in my front yard. :D

Lucky You If you get offered one again I'll take it please.

So when people knock on my door and ask about why do I have some many dishes in the back yard. I tell them I am a UFO hunter and made contact a few nights back. (I love seeing their face after that)

So when people knock on my door and ask about why do I have some many dishes in the back yard. I tell them I am a UFO hunter and made contact a few nights back. (I love seeing their face after that)

thats what i'ld planned on doing years ago setting up 15 or 20 dishes and tying them all together and running a wiper motor to them .....ufo hunter / radar detector lol

Yeah you will need the human element involved for sure.

I always prefer, I could tell ya but then I'd have to kill ya ! :cool:

Status
Please reply by conversation.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)