Satellite and equipment to get specific "Wild Feed"

Status
Please reply by conversation.

Elster

Original poster
Aug 2, 2011
New England
Hi everyone, I'm new here and I'm already impressed with the board and the knowledge all of you have! I'm hoping someone can help me. I saw the thread in this forum called "Days of Our Lives Wild Feed" (it won't let me hyperlink as I'm new) and in short, what I'm looking for is advice on the cheapest, smallest satellite option to receive that exact feed. It's not that I'm a 'soap junkie' (though I am!), it's that someone in the soap business is actually looking for a volunteer to watch the show a day ahead for a certain reason, and I very much want to be that person. Except I don't live in Canada.

I'm a satellite newbie though very good with a computer and technical aspects. Could someone please point me in the right direction as to what equipment I'd need? I live in New England. I'd want a freestanding dish if possible as I don't think my landlord would let me mount one to the building. (Smaller would be more important than cheaper if I had to prioritize.)

I'd be recording the signal to my PC using a Hauppauge 'tuner card' type of device to connect to the box. I have one now for regular broadcast TV).

Thanks!!

Elster

Wild feeds come and go, they are never permanent, that feed could be gone today or tomorrow, so if you are buying your equipment only for that feed I would suggest not to waste your money

I think that the Days Of Our Lives feed is on one of the C-Band Anik Satellites.. Likely a 6ft dish would be required to get it. Depending on the signal strength in your area, a 4 footer Mini C-Band setup that has been precisely tuned might just barely squeek by for signal strength. Anything smaller than that won't get it.

Have you got room for a 6 foot dish? :)

Thanks Mikey - for some reason this particular feed has been around for years (since 2004 at least) - but that's a good point, that it's still by no means "permanent".

Davage, eeek, 6 foot is not what I had in mind! :) But thanks so much for the info... sounds like I'd have to wait to move into my own house to do something like that. Appreciate the help!

That particular feed has been around since the late 80's / early 90's. I can remember my mother setting up a VCR timer and tuning the disk over to the Anik satellite to record her soap opera at 4AM each morning. It has switched from analog to digital, but it's still there...

Thanks, that's what I thought!! :) Meanwhile I'm sitting here googling the possibility of indoor dishes. (I'm sure there are already threads on that.) Might go out to the backyard soon to see where I could hide something in the bushes. :)

If I were to buy this, I'd just tell a company "c-band setup" and they'd be able to sell me the correct gear? Thanks!

Thanks, that's what I thought!! :) Meanwhile I'm sitting here googling the possibility of indoor dishes. (I'm sure there are already threads on that.) Might go out to the backyard soon to see where I could hide something in the bushes. :)

If I were to buy this, I'd just tell a company "c-band setup" and they'd be able to sell me the correct gear? Thanks!

There is no way that you could have a C-Band dish inside. It will have to be outside, and a 6' minumum is what you will have to have to get a quality signal. When you get ready to buy, look at the sponsers of this site first, and then if they don't have what you need you might try sadoun.com. There are not that many places that sell C-Band stuff anymore.

Status
Please reply by conversation.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)