Satellite AV Contest - GEOSATpro microHD - Enter to Win - Drawing on 6/11/2012

Status
Please reply by conversation.
The summers of my youth were spent traveling across the United States in a 23 foot 1977 Allegro motorhome. In 1982, I started shooting documentaries of our travels on VHS videotape. We took at least one trip every year, always during the Summer and sometimes during the Thanksgiving holidays. If only I had the video equipment and technology I have today to shoot those travel logs! We took our last motorhome vacation in the Summer of 1992.

In later years, my favorite Summertime activity has been going to waterparks. I still have fun doing that today :) ...

Thanks to SatelliteAV for the contest!

i used to ride my bike about a mile down to my friend's house and we would go fishing, or, on more rare occasions, we would ride about 10 mi to kinser park where they had a water slide.
those were good times :)

When I was younger, back in the mid 60's. My Godparents worked for Jewel Food Stores in Chicago (where I was born & raised). Each summer Jewel had a big picnic on some land they owned in the suburbs. My God Parents would take me and my brother and my sister. Our Parents would come to. And every year we always got lost looking for "Cuba Rd", the road that took you straight to the Jewel Picnic. Once we got there it was a kids dream. First you had a free pancake breakfast. Then, after that, there were all sorts of rides...all of them children's rides, all for free and you could ride as many times as you wanted, as long as you got back in line. Everything at the picnic was free. We would bring fry chicken and sides dishes to eat. All drinks were free and unlimited. No Beer. And all the popcorn and, the thing I look for the most each year, all the cotton candy YOU COULD EAT!!! I though I was in heaven! And it was the real good cotton candy, spun fresh and handed right to you...no frickin' plastic bags. They also gave out the original "Eskimo Pie Ice Cream Bar". it was just a bar of vanilla ice cream, covered in rich dark chocolate...no stick in it. And you had better eat it fast, or in the sun it became just a mess melting all over your hands and clothing.

Eventually, Jewel stop the picnics due to increase cost and newer employees complaining that "It wasn't that big a deal...they should have more rides and more this and more that." But for me it was 10 hours of pure cotton candy heaven!

P.S. Scott, this is not an entry in the contest. I don't have a need for the GEOSAT. I just wanted to share my memory.

Ghpr13:)

Threre was a big rock behind my grandparents house which in summer used to get heat from the sun and we spent time during the night laying down looking at the sky seeying the stars counting , looking for the contelations!! What a times!!

All day pick-up baseball games at the ball field and roaming the neighbor hood til dark with my friends.

Hmmm ... the VERY BEST summer of my life started in June of 1953, our family of five moved from Boston to Los Angeles, pulling a 35 foot long trailer with a '49 Ford Coup. We used Triple A (AAA) Trip-Ticks as our guide, and traveled well over 15,000 miles in three months, starting out going South on US 1 from Boston to Orlando (long before there was a Disney World), then North to Canada, then back South to Texas, then North back to Canada, then South to New Mexico and on old Route 66 finally to Venice, California (no two letter State designation then). I turned 10 on that trip while we were in Albuquerque, New Mexico. We watched the July 4th Extravaganza of fireworks while sitting on the steps of the Lincoln Memorial in Washington DC, and watched a Rodeo in Texas put on (my Mother told us later) but some "young cow hands" that saw my disappointment of missing the Rodeo that had been in town. We took several side trips to just "see what was there," as Dad put it, including The Grand Canyon, and Bolder Dam. This whole trip gave me a sense of wonderlust, and to this day I still love watching travelogs on TV.

The next best Summers where all the years we spent at Bass Lake (north of Fresno) where we would take the old tent, sleeping bags and the family dog, and just "go camping" for a month at a time. Mom and we kids would go to the lake, pitch the tent, spend two or three weeks, then Dad would join us for his yearly vacation. We did this for almost ten years until all us kids grew up and moved away from home.

Mom and Dad are gone now, and the family is spread out all over the US, from Boston to Texas, to Arizona and several places in-between. We seldom get together as a family anymore, but I would like to thank Satellite AV for bringing these memories back. What a 'trip,' (pun intended) to travel back down Memory Lane just to write this.

Photto

My best summers were the times in the late sixties, we would be out of school, drive from Texas to Virginia to visit family for the summer. It was a way to connect with the all the generations of our family and perhaps get a little knowledge from our elders, as well as see a part of the country.

Riding our bikes ~5miles to a lake on which was owned by a company that had gone out of business. For years the place was desserted with the lake undisturbed and we would sneak in through a hole in the fence and catch some very large bass who had never probably never seen a lure.

Summer was all about the water. Actually on the Gulf coast not just "summertime" but most of the year. I remember going water skiing many years during Christmas school holidays. We were always in bicycle distance of several favorite swimming holes. By driving age, being at the beach daily or camping/skiing/swimming up the bayou "where no roads go" for a week or more at a time was the norm. So much has changed. It was a much simpler time...........

When I was just but a wee whittle one, my friends and I would always head to the edge of our property and build our forts by cutting a small "room" out of the tall ferns. We'd then build roads throughout them for our wagon/ riding toys....oh the fun..

summer, riding bikes to the pool that i mowed yards to get the money for...... pixil "kick the can" a game u play on twilight zone to gain eternal youth, lol

Canoeing and camping with my father and brother. We would have contests seeing how many times in a row we could cast and catch a fish. One rock we would go by resembled a beaver, and we named it beaver rock. Portaging from one lake to another, my father would carry the canoe, and my brother and I would carry the gear. It would take two trips to get it all over the portage. There were two portages to get the island that we would camp on.

Out of school as a kid for the summer? A quick look includes beachcombing Wamplers Lake near Brooklyn, MI on a regular basis (we lived there at the time; never found much but you did it for fun as a kid)

A few of my younger summers I helped organizing a “Carnival against Muscular Dystrophy” as advertised on local TV stations. The stations sent you a “kit” with ideas (designed so kids could have fun with games and raise money in their backyard toward the yearly MD telethon.) Mostly I think it was our parents friends who would come and "humor" us, but we felt good..like we were doing something really important!

And two other major things: Listening to the radio (yes, a geek at a young age) either an old tube set or my dad’s transistor AM, and camping with the family in a tent-camper called…(are you ready?) a “Nimrod Sarari!” (the real name of the company, believe it or not!) While we usually stayed in Michigan on dad’s vacation from the factory, in 1976 my parents took us to Sarnia, Ontario, to a KOA campgroung, and while we stayed there, I toured my first radio station, CKJD! Guess the parents knew I’d have something to do with radio, even way back then. Yep. I’m still listening to the radio… and now, “on” the radio every day at my own stations. Sometimes parents know more than we give them credit for, don’t they!

Thanks, Mom & Dad! You were the BEST!

I was just thinking about the water rockets we used to play with as kids. I remember how we tried so hard to put enough air in them to fly as high as a real rocket. We would almost be rolling on the ground trying to press the plunger on the cheap plastic pump just one more time. Then I moved on to real model rockets where you actually spent days putting it together for a few minutes of excitement. As the parachute deployed excitement sometimes turned to panic as they drifted towards the woods. :)

Grew up on a dairy farm. It was always great to go to one of the local swimming holes - there were a couple old abandoned marble quarries nearby - after a long day in the hayfields.

Thanks for another great contest Brian!

I loved to fish when i was a kid. When i was about 12 years old we lived in a big old farmhouse and had a nice pond not far from the house. Once i was home alone i decided that if i hooked an electric wire to the fence that was running thru the pond i could catch lots of fish by shocking them. I ran a extension cord from the house to the fence running into the pond and ran down to the pond to see the fish. Nothing was happening so i figured if i gave the fence a good shake it would stir the water and cause the fish to move around. I didn't take long to figure out that i should not have done that. Luckily it blew the fuse at the house. lol

Walking back over the ridges behind our home in Ohio, following the creek, chasing "crawdads", with our shaggy dog and two cats flanking the march. Sometimes we'd take a little food and cook it over a "hobo stove" made from a tuna can ( filled with corrogated cardboard in a roll, and candle wax) and a Pineapple juice can, with it's top side pierced for ventilation. Best burgers I ever ate came off a "hobo stove". Maybe it was the wax ? :)

Status
Please reply by conversation.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)