Satellite chart !!!PIC!!!

Status
Please reply by conversation.

gertnerbot

Active SatelliteGuys Member
Original poster
May 19, 2009
Hopkinsville, KY
I work at a tv station and it's very inconvenient not to have a satellite chart handy. I looked everywhere for one and never found anything; so I decided to make one of my own. I understand that having a Birdog makes a chart obsolete, however, I've found myself in a position several times without a Birdog and needed a chart. Please feel free to leave a comment here or one the pic site itself, I welcome any suggestions and/or comments.

Picasa Web Albums - gertnerbot - Satellite

This is one of two charts that I will make; it covers the 61.5 to 99.2 range in North and South America.

ENJOY!

I like the way you put together that chart, and am looking forward on your other one! I put a picture of this chart into my hard drive for future reference. I alway need a chart when I am programming a satellite system.
Thanks for doing a great job!

Anybody using this will be confused, reverse either the birds or the background to fix.

I didn't pay any attention to the background. What mattered to me is that the satellites are in order with the location and all.
Have you thought about putting the genetic names on the satellites for the 4DTV users? That would be nice.

I was thinking that too, but flip the MAP not the chart, and look at his line up from the BACK of the dish and it makes more sense (IMHO)

Photto

AH.. yep.. that's what I was missing.. looking from behind the dish. then it lines up correctly.. I knew there was something I was missing

A few changes...

61.5 - Echostar 3 and Echostar 12
65 - Star One C1
70 - Star One C2
74 - Horizons 2
72.5 add Echostar 6
I would scrap G4 at 76.8...
Move Galaxy 17 from 75.5 to 91
82 - Nimiq 4
85 - AMC 16 (scrap at 84)
93 - Galaxy 25 (G26 is all but deceased)

Sources?

A few changes...

61.5 - Echostar 3 and Echostar 12
65 - Star One C1
70 - Star One C2
74 - Horizons 2
72.5 add Echostar 6
I would scrap G4 at 76.8...
Move Galaxy 17 from 75.5 to 91
82 - Nimiq 4
85 - AMC 16 (scrap at 84)
93 - Galaxy 25 (G26 is all but deceased)

I'm aware of Horizons 2 but I need some sort of proof of the other birds you mentioned. I will gladly make the changes if they are necessary.

I'm aware of Horizons 2

Your chart suggests otherwise ;)

I need some sort of proof of the other birds

May I be so bold to ask what constitutes proof? The changes suggested seem to be general knowledge.

And, one concern: I might be stupid here, but, I am having trouble figuring out the vertical scale. Is there any meaning? It sort of looks like three levels, small satellites at the top, mixed in the middle, and large satellites at the bottom.. but I find no common attributes among the satellites depicted in those levels. Perhaps it was a matter of convenience in creating the picture?

... In Europe we are more used to calling birds by position as opposed to name ...

Yeah, that's my primary way of identification. It's more consistent. Names change. Satellite locations change. But the services broadcast on a orbital location seem to stay more consistent, IMO.

The only thing is, here in the western hemisphere we use reference to west longitude. PC-DVB software seems to consistently use east longitude.
eg, technotrend ini files... !sadroll

So instead of 97ºW, I have to use 263ºE for T5/L5 - Telstar 5, uhh, Intelsat Americas 5, uhh, Galaxy 25, uhh, Galaxy 19...

Status
Please reply by conversation.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)