Satellite Debranding

Status
Please reply by conversation.
logo-off :)

Plain can of flat gray primer for 99¢ seems to work okay.

You can check other threads on painting dishes for ideas.
I think in one of them, I remember someone using chemicals to clean his dish, and commented the logo came off while the main paint job didn't.
That could easily happen if the gray is powder coat, and the logo is a simple screen-print with actual paint.

Maybe acetone?
And, do spot-test on the back of your dish to avoid disappointment. :)

Which dish did you want to change?
Some of the molded dishes may have the color built-in, so any logo would be more easily removable.
Search back a few weeks, I posted the info from Andrew on how to clean and paint their dishes.

I painted over a couple of D* Phase 3 dishes, and in the right light you can still see the logo. I used a wire wheel on a drill motor, I thought I had it off but when I painted it sure enough you could see it.

I am getting ready to do it again real soon, I have a D* slimline dish I am going to paint up...I'll let you know how it turns out...:)

Plain can of flat gray primer for 99¢ seems to work okay.

You can check other threads on painting dishes for ideas.
I think in one of them, I remember someone using chemicals to clean his dish, and commented the logo came off while the main paint job didn't.
That could easily happen if the gray is powder coat, and the logo is a simple screen-print with actual paint.

Maybe acetone?
And, do spot-test on the back of your dish to avoid disappointment. :)

Which dish did you want to change?
Some of the molded dishes may have the color built-in, so any logo would be more easily removable.
Search back a few weeks, I posted the info from Andrew on how to clean and paint their dishes.

I found the thread you were refering to: http://www.satelliteguys.us/free-air-fta-discussion/82048-how-unpaint-dish.html (Nevermind how long it took to find it LOL)

As for the changes, I wanted to take off the DTV logo, the winegaurd logo, and I also want to remove "multi-satellite" wording. It was like everybody had to put their logo on it and take up the whole face of the dish. On top of that some birds used it as a target and I plan to clean that off.

paint job

Stogie -
Open a thread, show some before, during, and after pix.
Also the materials you're using
Give old Linuxman a run for his money! :cool:

Davage -
Yea, or put your own satellite logo on, and let people ask how you're enjoying your DavageSat TV or internet service. :eek:

I though about painting around an existing logo, say on my Fortec.
Maybe put a little black border around a white rectangle carrying their logo.
Then, paint the rest of the dish medium gray or light charcoal, however the mood strikes me.

freak3dot -
Some folks think a little bird poop gives a dish some character. :)

Wonder what folks would think if I put up a big green lizard like my avatar? :D

If you have one of the Phase III dishes which are metal, you might go so far as the wire wheel.
However, if it's a molded Phase II, don't get too mechanical on it.
Go chemical or cover-up, only.

Frankly, with all the other dishes out there, who'd even notice yet another Dish or Direct antenna?

Now, as for my 3ABN dish, I have special plans for their logo . . . :eureka
Can't decide whether to have some glowing wings painted below it, or . . .
Maybe get one of the little Devil stickers from FreeBSD and put it up - sort of equal billing, you see? :D

Last edited:
Stogie -

freak3dot -
Some folks think a little bird poop gives a dish some character. :)

Wonder what folks would think if I put up a big green lizard like my avatar? :D

If you have one of the Phase III dishes which are metal, you might go so far as the wire wheel.
However, if it's a molded Phase II, don't get too mechanical on it.
Go chemical or cover-up, only.

Frankly, with all the other dishes out there, who'd even notice yet another Dish or Direct antenna?

Now, as for my 3ABN dish, I have special plans for their logo . . . :eureka
Can't decide whether to have some glowing wings painted below it, or . . .
Maybe get one of the little Devil stickers from FreeBSD and put it up - sort of equal billing, you see? :D

I did some more searching around the forum last night and it is one of those metal phase III dishes :(

Bleach water worked great at removing the berry colored bird poop.

I was able to remove some of the logo with some comet (was scratch free kind) However the dish has a texture so the paint between the raised texture parts is still there. It is kind of a fadded logo now. I figured what the heck, worst case I have to repaint it anyways.

No free advertising! You should have seen the look on the dealers face when I told them they had to remove their name from my car when I bought it. ;)

freak3dot

Some day when I have LOTS of time on my hand, I'd like to paint a huge smiley face on my BUD, or some other happy type design. I have had absolutely no complaints from my neighbors about me putting the BUD up, so if I do decide to somehow decorate it, I'd like to make it a very positive image.

Some day when I have LOTS of time on my hand, I'd like to paint a huge smiley face on my BUD, or some other happy type design. I have had absolutely no complaints from my neighbors about me putting the BUD up, so if I do decide to somehow decorate it, I'd like to make it a very positive image.

Since I just cancelled D* last week, maybe I should leave my slimline as is but paint a big day-glo red slash across the logo...:D

There's a BUD nearby I should post a photo of sometime, it has a butterfly on it. I noticed it 10 years ago.

Now I'm thinking about painting a nice FTA logo on one of my dishes. Maybe people will stop asking what they're for.

What we NEED is a stencil or something that says...