satellite dish cooking

bill55az

Original poster
Oct 29, 2013
AZ and UT
Is anyone here into cooking with solar? I have used solar and dish antennas to cook with and it works well, but it could work better if I could find an aluminum dish instead of steel. Aluminum can be polished better than most other metals.
Currently I use foil tape to line the dish, but that method produces a lot of surface irregularities that ends up making the cooking surface have uneven temperatures.
Are there any aluminum antennas out there in the approximately 30 to 42 inch range?

I have heard of this. We did an experiment /lab in Geometry years ago when I was in high school. We built a dish, and cooked popcorn. This can be done, but I would not rely on it. ;) Now days I forgot the calculations for building a dish from scratch.

I vaguely remember seeing a product that folded up. I think all sides were flat or nearly so. But it could (eventually) boil a small amount of water.

Would a collapsible strainer work, if you could find one big enough?

Posted Via The FREE SatelliteGuys Reader App!

I vaguely remember seeing a product that folded up. I think all sides were flat or nearly so. But it could (eventually) boil a small amount of water.

Would a collapsible strainer work, if you could find one big enough?

Posted Via The FREE SatelliteGuys Reader App!
i think what you saw was called the solar oven

Reactions: N5XZS and navychop

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts