Status
Please reply by conversation.

Lak7

SatelliteGuys Master
Original poster
Pub Member / Supporter
Feb 28, 2008
Near Chicago, Illinois
Friday afternoon, I took my 6 year old daughter to see Monsters vs. Aliens.
I'm not a critic, so no Review, but wait for the DVD. :)
Tickets - $17
Pop and Popcorn - $15
An afternoon at the Movies with my daughter, who shouts:
"Dad, Dad, did you see the Satellite Dishes?" - Priceless

Friday afternoon, I took my 6 year old daughter to see Monsters vs. Aliens.
I'm not a critic, so no Review, but wait for the DVD. :)
Tickets - $17
Pop and Popcorn - $15
An afternoon at the Movies with my daughter, who shouts:
"Dad, Dad, did you see the Satellite Dishes?" - Priceless

That's great!

I was watching the news this evening and they were talking about some sort of destruction and they made a wide shot of an area that had some sort of damage. Right there, in the middle of the screen, big as life, was a Primestar dish! I looked at my wife and said HEY! LOOK! That guy is into FTA!!! She asked me how I knew, and I said there isn't many other uses for a Primestar dish, unless the guy just never took it out when he used to have Primestar before D* took over.

...Right there, in the middle of the screen, big as life, was a Primestar dish! I looked at my wife and said HEY! LOOK! That guy is into FTA!!! She asked me how I knew, and I said there isn't many other uses for a Primestar dish, unless the guy just never took it out when he used to have Primestar before D* took over.

You gotta love Primestars!

I can't watch movies anymore without seeing dishes. I've learned that Manhattan rooftops are loaded with dishes. You know you're addicted when you have to go back and watch a scene over again because you missed some dialog while puzzling over the dishes.

I was looking for a science book the other day, and stumbled upon this book cover:

A Student's Guide to Maxwell's Equations

I don't care about Maxwell's equations, but what kind of dish is that, and who is the maker? What are those three little whiskers at the top, what are they for? All I know is that dish would look great in my back yard, haha.

What are those three little whiskers at the top, what are they for? All I know is that dish would look great in my back yard, haha.

The "Whiskers" are lighting rods or anti-static rods I would believe!

The last radio station I worked at in 98 has similar anti-static rods on its FM transmitter tower. I thought they were lighting rods. Why? I asked the chief engineer once what they were and what for and was told that they were required by the FCC then at the time of erecting of the tower. First for me! They are still on that stick to date!

He said lighting rods were essentially useless on a FM Stick for it is one big lighting rod sticking close to the ground which is what the grounding rod system was for! Lighting still took out our STL’s sometimes and the old Exciter got it a couple times as well!

Can’t tell you how many times we had to replace the Heliax and power rectifiers in that Harris 25k transmitter the good Lord would take out showing his wrath at that stick! First time I ever heard of putting anti-static rods on a RF Radio tower.

Anyway, I would lean toward lighting rods though on that picture!

Great find toucan! :up

:D You took me back to my terrestrial radio broadcasting & assistant engineering days! ;)

Attachments

• toucan-mans dish.JPG
    toucan-mans dish.JPG
    20.8 KB · Views: 213
Last edited:
Thats some pretty good stories

Theres a few shows I watch and its funny to see satellite dishes either pointed near the ground or really high. Seen some of the dish/direct larger dishes on Dog the Bounty Hunter.

I also notice dishes in movies. IIRC, the first movie to ever have a DirecTV dish was Beverly Hills Ninja, in 1995. Chris Farley tries to climb the roof and a Sony DSS dish falls on his head, knocking him out cold.

Dont we have a thread on dishspotting in the movies Ice? Seems like we do, I didnt do a search. I happened across a couple more recently -
In LazyTown, you know with Sporticus and Robbie Rotten??? Well if you have preschool kids/grands you do....lol
The other was in an episode of 7 Days, at Dr Mentnor's home, his grandaughters birthday party. You get just a glimpse of it in the yard.
I actually look for movies with the Twin Towers in them. You would be amazed at the number of movies that used them as a back drop for NYC settings. I was going to start a list as my personal tribute but never got around to it.

Thats some pretty good stories

Theres a few shows I watch and its funny to see satellite dishes either pointed near the ground or really high. Seen some of the dish/direct larger dishes on Dog the Bounty Hunter.

I see I'm not the only one. LOL... On Dog they have a 622 up on the shelf sometimes showing the DishNetwork screensaver when the receiver is in standby mode. Their dish is a larger dish out in the back where they park ;)

I always see a bunch of different dishes on Cops too.

Status
Please reply by conversation.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts