Satellite dishes in Indonesia

Status
Please reply by conversation.

Martyn

SatelliteGuys Pro
Original poster
Sep 25, 2005
Annandale, VA
I just finished a week-long vacation in Bali, Indonesia. It's been about ten years since I was last there and one of the things I remember most was the satellite dishes sitting on top of ATM kiosks. I was wondering if they still existed and they sure do. If anything, there seem to be more.

Indonesia is made up of about 17,000 islands, so satellite is an incredibly convenient way to run a nationwide ATM network. While some ATMs didn't have dishes - probably because of Internet links - many did. I don't know how many are functioning, but it's quite the sight.

I suspect these are C-band, although someone might be able to tell me otherwise from the feedhorns. They looked like they are around 1.8 meter dishes.

Here's one at a Circle K. Bali is only 8 degrees South of the equator, so many of the dishes are pointing very high in the sky.

IMG_20150530_115033 copy.jpg

Here's a couple more I came across:

IMG_20150530_134002 copy.jpg

And this on the roof of a tourist villa. There are a couple of prime focus dishes, which were almost absent from commercial use and confined to just TV in private homes, and a couple of smaller dishes for Indovision, a satellite pay TV service. Indovision uses S-band on SES-7 to combat rain fade as the region is tropical. That probably explains the uniquely wide feedhorn.

IMG_20150530_134213 copy.jpg

And finally, my favorites:

IMG_20150530_141216 copy.jpg

IMG_20150530_135243 copy.jpg

Oh, and dishes aside, the island is well worth a visit, especially if you're a diver :)

Great pics. I suppose a solid prime-focus reflector without drainage holes at latitudes close to the equator would actually pond water, whereas the offsets don't have that issue.

From an aesthetic point of view, palm trees and white satellite dishes go very well together; thanks for sharing, hope you had a good time. Your pictures show the geographical significance of satellite communication in other countries, I'll bet it's a good business to be in over there.

Good to see how satellite dishes are installed in different places too.

Looks like scooters are popular. Nice to see what folks in other countries are doing. It is truly an interesting world.

Status
Please reply by conversation.