This is a mobile optimized page that loads fast, if you want to load the real page, click this text.

Satellite does Sirius and Xm use?

Chrome69

SatelliteGuys Family
Original poster
Jun 25, 2008
What satellite(s) does Sirius and XM use to broadcast their signal to our radios? and can we get it or is it encrypted?

each is encrypted. They each (XM / Sirius) use their own birds. The info is on each one's sites.

I am actually interested in what Birds they use....

Look here for info on the 3 satellites Sirius uses (only 2 are transmitting at any given time). They are in a "Tundra" orbit, and are the only known users of such an orbit. But this unusual orbit allows them to get by with fewer terrestrial repeaters than XM requires. They keep one on ground spare.

See here for coverage maps and animations of the orbits for both Sirius and XM.

XM uses two geostationary satellites and has two in orbit spares (which seem to be suffering from failing solar panels due to a design or manufacturing flaw). More here.

I am unaware of any very detailed info on the satellites themselves, but you may want to google for it.

XM's satellites have both been replaced, XM-3 ("Rythm") and XM-4 ("Blues") are now live at 115 and 85 respectively, with XM-1 ("Rock") and XM-2 ("Roll") as in-orbit, powered-off spares in the same locations. The new satellites do not suffer from the failing panels. Sirius' satellites are also affected by this same issue to a lesser extent is my understanding.

Full details on XM's birds:

That is exactly what I said. XM-3 & 4 are the new, in-use sats. XM-1 and 2 are the in orbit spares, which have the suspect panels.