Satellite Locator

• WELCOME TO THE NEW SERVER!

If you are seeing this you are on our new server WELCOME HOME!

While the new server is online Scott is still working on the backend including the cachine. But the site is usable while the work is being completes!

Thank you for your patience and again WELCOME HOME!

CLICK THE X IN THE TOP RIGHT CORNER OF THE BOX TO DISMISS THIS MESSAGE
Status
Please reply by conversation.

SatelliteSearcher

Active SatelliteGuys Member
Original poster
Oct 27, 2010
Oregon
Hi Everybody:

I just joined the forum today. We have the dtv slimline dish, 3 lnb hd receiver at home. We travel in our 5th wheel trailer alot and want to take dtv with us. I have purchased a seperate smaller dish , 18"x20" with 3 lnb's to take with us, (triple feed multi sat lnb phrase lll). I understand that this smaller dish will not get the HD which is ok when we are traveling. Our programming comes in on the 101, 110, 119 sats.

I want to purchase a very good satellite finder, what do you recommend? I would like to get by reasonably on the price, however I want to accurately and quickly set up the dish when traveling. I appreciate the information.

Take Care,
SatelliteSeacher​

I've been moving around in our 5er for 3 years now (fulltimer), albeit using DishNetwork. I use this URL (Satellite Finder / Dish Pointing Calculator with Google Maps | DishPointer.com) to find my angles. I use an Align-A-Site (www.alignasite.com) to insure I have a clear shot at the satellite. Set everything ahead of time, make sure your tripod pole is plumb, mount your dish. I use a CHANNEL MASTER SATELLITE METER #1007IFD to get the strongest signal I can using the internal battery to power the LNBF. Then I plug in the receiver cable, turn off the internal battery, and fine tune using the satellite setup screen. Usually takes me about 15-20 minutes including setting everything up. Take the meter out of the connection and it is done.

In a few weeks we will be sarting our trek south for the winter. I will see how much different it is to setup with DirectTV. I am told with DirectTV I just need to go into my account and change my service location to get the locals where I am.

Last edited:
Thank You 35 LKSA for responding to my question. I am very curious why only 1 response, 91 views, 1 response?????

Thank You, Take Care,
SatelliteSearcher

Probably the lack of post is due to most people NOT buying signal finders to do thier set up.
I normally use the signal meter on the recvr itself, regardless of the dish type.

Once your comfortable setting them up, you probably wouldn't use it either.

35LKSA said:
I've been moving around in our 5er for 3 years now (fulltimer), albeit using DishNetwork. I use this URL (Satellite Finder / Dish Pointing Calculator with Google Maps | DishPointer.com) to find my angles. I use an Align-A-Site (www.alignasite.com) to insure I have a clear shot at the satellite. Set everything ahead of time, make sure your tripod pole is plumb, mount your dish. I use a CHANNEL MASTER SATELLITE METER #1007IFD to get the strongest signal I can using the internal battery to power the LNBF. Then I plug in the receiver cable, turn off the internal battery, and fine tune using the satellite setup screen. Usually takes me about 15-20 minutes including setting everything up. Take the meter out of the connection and it is done.

In a few weeks we will be sarting our trek south for the winter. I will see how much different it is to setup with DirectTV. I am told with DirectTV I just need to go into my account and change my service location to get the locals where I am.

SuperBuddy Satellite Meter & AIM is probably the most accurate but the price is high. You might be able to find a decent SuperBuddy on craislist or eBay . You probably will not find an AIM as they are on backorder unless someone is just wanting to get rid of it.

If those don't spark ya then try a Birddog meter.

Those are my 3 most accurate. I've used all 3 as well so I'll answer questions about them as well

Thank You to those who replied. Jimbo, you mentioned you use the satellite finder on the receiver itself. What is the procedure for that????

Thank You,
SatelliteSearcher

Jimbo is using the receiver's "signal strength meter." You do not need a Sat finder if you have a stable dish mount that allows an absolutely plumb mast and a means to accurately acquire a dead-on shot at the 101.

I use the TV4RV HD Combo Kit with the optional folding arm kit. The kit includes a five-buck signal meter that I do use initially while waitng for the receiver to boot up. You really don't need to use it and it can in fact get you looking at the wrong bird.

SuperBuddy Satellite Meter & AIM is probably the most accurate but the price is high. You might be able to find a decent SuperBuddy on craislist or eBay . You probably will not find an AIM as they are on backorder unless someone is just wanting to get rid of it.

If those don't spark ya then try a Birddog meter.

Those are my 3 most accurate. I've used all 3 as well so I'll answer questions about them as well

But the ones you mentioned do NOT tell you what Sat your hitting either, that I have heard.
Correct me if I'm wrong about that.

Receiver/dish setup, the correct coordinates and a $12 compass is all you really need. Should be golden in about 20 40 mins depending or your skill level.

Good luck and let us know how it works out. Here is a pic of what I used.

Attachments

• field compass-.jpg
    field compass-.jpg
    107.7 KB · Views: 138
Status
Please reply by conversation.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts