Satellite Meter Readings...............

Parlyle

Pub Member/Supporter
Original poster
Supporting Founder
May 16, 2004
West Central Wisconsin
OK, I have a Birdog coming to me shortly. YaHoo, but...... How in heavens name do you hook it up to a Dish LNBF? I see the picture of the guy reading the meter and he has the jumper from the back of the LNB he is adjusting, to the Birdog. I looks like there is a hookup on the LNB. On the Dish LNB's there is no connection on the back. So, I assume that you take off the LNB and then hook up one end of the jumper and then put the LNB back on the arm and then look for the sat. with the Birdog, then tighten down the bolts, take the LNB back off, and hope that the dish doesn't move. Then take the jumper off.............................you know what I mean. Please let me know if this is about it or is there another way. I know there are probably a lot of people just laughing at this question, but I had to ask it anyway.
Thanks for all comments and responses:
Lyle

The only time people would laugh would be if you didn't ask for advise.

The best method I have found is to cut the RG6 about 6 to 8 feet from the base of your mount. Strip the cable, then put a connector on both ends. Put the Sat Finder in the line. You just need to be able to lay it flat on the roof or ground depending on the mount location. Then go ahead and adjust the dish. When your done, rejoin the line with a coupler and tape it well. Next step, enjoy TV.

Sounds great..............but?

Is there any degrading of the signal after you put in the coupler? It sounds like thats the most logical way to do it, but what about all of the instructions that say the only cut that should be in the coax from the dish to the reciever should be the grounding block? Thanks for the response, I need all the help I can get.
Lyle

i have done both, but sometimes it is either two much work to get the lnb back off, or sometimes to dangerous..., so i put a break in the wire behind it...
or, if, on the lnb i am using, i have an extra port (like with 3 receivers on a quad) i'll make a short piece or wire to line it up off of, then just hide it down in the mast or something.

To add to this answer............

birddoggy said:
i have done both, but sometimes it is either two much work to get the lnb back off, or sometimes to dangerous..., so i put a break in the wire behind it...
or, if, on the lnb i am using, i have an extra port (like with 3 receivers on a quad) i'll make a short piece or wire to line it up off of, then just hide it down in the mast or something.

In the Birdog manual, it says to always use "Port-1" of the LNB. Does it matter? I like the idea of using an unused port, but lets say that I have a "Twin" and a "Dual", where the 2 leads of the Twin are suppose to go into the DP-34 that I have. What then? Also I guess that one of the 2 ports of the Dual can be used for sat position, but does it matter which one goes to the DP-34? And for an after thought, does splicing the coax do any harm to the signal if I was to do the "cut and splice and tape" routine? I am open to all of the answers that I can get.

if you need to use the first port, or have to use both ports, i guess ya gotta
as long as the cut and splice is done right.., put good connectors, use good rated barrel connector, and then it's always a good idea to tape it up...
and no, it shouldn't degrade the signal enough to notice

Well it sounds good. I have some good 3Ghz barrel connectors that should do the job alright, so I think I'll go the cut and splice way. I also use good SNS compression F-connectors. So I hope I'm good to go. Thanks again for the input. The Birdog manual doesn't really give a "greenhorn" much to work with as far as starting out fresh. I know that there good in the field lessons to be learned, and now I think I can start. As I have said, I'm open to any and all comments on this, and appreciate anything I can get.
Lyle :bow