Satellite Newbie

Status
Please reply by conversation.

ratman1959

Original poster
Sep 3, 2005
Help

I purchased a satellite system ( The CoolSat 4000 PRO Universal Package) that includes the Coolsat 400 pro, ForTec Star 33" dish, and a Coolsat CS-LNBL (with an LO of 10.75GHz).

I've connected everything together and according to the receiver, I get (power?) Levels of between 70 and 85% from about 20 different satellites, but the quality is consistantly below 10% and when I try to scan for channels, I don't get anything!!! :confused:

Like the title says, I'm a newbie (to the world of satellites), I've worked in the field of electronics for over 20yrs, and I'm retired military :usa (so, yeah I know how to find azimuth and elevation).

I live in Antioch TN. and have a zip of 37013.

I'm not trying to be smug, but I wanted you to know that I'm not a complete idiot either.

Thanks.

I am new at this too, but I will try to be of some help so don't shoot me if I know less than you.

#1 reason for poor signal is a dish Less than 30" So scratch the number 1 reason. For anyone else who cares, a 36" is supposed to be pretty nice, and 4 feet is the cats meow.

#2 reason might be the LNB, maybe defective, maybe something else like the coax. Did you crimp them yourself? Change the crimps, or the entire cable if nothing else works.

#3 Get with someone that lives close enough to swap receivers and see if you got a bad one.

I'm fresh out idea's , please post the outcome to my attention, either in direct email, or here. I will be interested in the solution since I am going to be installing my new system next week. I ordered the Lifetime Ultra, 36" dish, HH motor, QPH-031 LNB, and one each, 2 and 4 port DisSeQ, it will be here the middle of the week.

Joe

ratman1959 said:
Help

I purchased a satellite system ( The CoolSat 4000 PRO Universal Package) that includes the Coolsat 400 pro, ForTec Star 33" dish, and a Coolsat CS-LNBL (with an LO of 10.75GHz).

I've connected everything together and according to the receiver, I get (power?) Levels of between 70 and 85% from about 20 different satellites, but the quality is consistantly below 10% and when I try to scan for channels, I don't get anything!!! :confused:

Like the title says, I'm a newbie (to the world of satellites), I've worked in the field of electronics for over 20yrs, and I'm retired military :usa (so, yeah I know how to find azimuth and elevation).

I live in Antioch TN. and have a zip of 37013.

I'm not trying to be smug, but I wanted you to know that I'm not a complete idiot either.

Thanks.

First, level only means your LNB is on. Quality is what you need. That has to be over 60 % on the Coolsat to lock a signal and only then can you scan anything in. Here are some possibilities:

1. Not "on" the satellite. You state that you know what the azimuth and elevation are for the satellites, but if you have never worked with FTA before it is tricky to get pointed right-much harder than DBS.

2. Wrong setting in menus. Here is an example of a "good" menu screen:

http://www.pbase.com/wtracyparnell/image/48298237

Yours should look like this except "LNB" should say "Single" and "LNB Freq" should be 10750.

3. Bad or poor LNB. I am not familiar with your LNB. It should have a noise figure of at least .5 or lower for best performance.

4. If you have a DBS LNB laying around try using that and see if you can lock on 119. If so it is probably an aiming issue.

Thanks to Technojunky and WTP.

I've swapped the cables (3 times) and still nothing :confused: . I've thought the same thing about the LNB, so I've ordered another one from a different company, and unfortunately, I don't know anyone in the area that has FTA equipment.

I'm sorry for the misunderstanding about azimuth and elevation, I don't know where the satellites are, but if I'm given the azimuth, I know I can find it using a lensatic compass and the local declination. (Unless, of course I'm missing something completely about satellite tracking. (wouldn't be the first time :shocked ))

The LNB that I currently have has a noise figure of 0.6dB :( . So I've ordered the other, this one has a lower noise figure (0.5dB).

I've double checked my settings with the example WTP sent me, there are a couple of differences, and I don't know if it's due to the version of software or what, but:

1. On the example, the 22KHz setting shows AUTO, my system only has ON or OFF. Which should I use?
2. And this one isn't a big deal, but the example shows what I beleive to be the output power of the satellite transmitter along with its' designator/name/nomenclature (79.0W AMC 5). My system only shows the designator/name/nomenclature.

The other settings are correct.

System info
SW version is: 1.20 dated: 17 Jan 2005
HW version: 1.50
Boot Version: 1.20
CH version: E001

Thanks.

Okay, color me embarrassed :eek: :eek: :eek: .

I just figured out the 79.0W...West (not Watts) :hatsoff: :clap

military epithets inserted here...

Thank you, thank you.

Status
Please reply by conversation.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts