Satellite programming on Airbus and other airplanes

RedSavina

Supporting Founder
Original poster
Supporting Founder
Aug 19, 2005
Groton, CT
JetBlue and Frontier (and others?) are offering satellite programming for sale as their inflight entertainment. Both JetBlue and Frontier are offering DirecTV. Does anyone offer DishNetwork programming?

While watching the JetBlue flight with the fouled nose-gear land at LAX last night it occurred to me that I have no idea how they receive these signals. Satellite TV equipped planes are easy to identify with the little dome on the top of the fuselage, a little behind the mid-point. I only know of Airbus planes being equipped like this.

The dome seems more like a Sirius or XM antenna than a DishNetwork or DirecTV antenna. Is there a traditional dish hiding under the dome? If so, how do they lock and track the signal? Is there a different type of antenna that can receive these signals? Are there non-standard signals that don't require a traditional antenna (if so, where are they coming from)?

Enquiring minds... ;)
Red

RedSavina said:
JetBlue and Frontier (and others?) are offering satellite programming for sale as their inflight entertainment. Both JetBlue and Frontier are offering DirecTV. Does anyone offer DishNetwork programming?

While watching the JetBlue flight with the fouled nose-gear land at LAX last night it occurred to me that I have no idea how they receive these signals. Satellite TV equipped planes are easy to identify with the little dome on the top of the fuselage, a little behind the mid-point. I only know of Airbus planes being equipped like this.

The dome seems more like a Sirius or XM antenna than a DishNetwork or DirecTV antenna. Is there a traditional dish hiding under the dome? If so, how do they lock and track the signal? Is there a different type of antenna that can receive these signals? Are there non-standard signals that don't require a traditional antenna (if so, where are they coming from)?

Enquiring minds... ;)
Red

They use a Phased-Array Antenna. Here's a photo of one

From Here (pdf)
In simple terms, a phased array antenna is made up of hundreds, if not thousands, of tiny antenna units on a
microchip. Adjusting the time delay (or phase) of the arrival of these signals at a central processor, effectively
changes the focus of the antenna, enabling it to scan across the sky, just like a motorised dish, but without large,
noisy mechanical motors. They require less maintenance and can be enclosed completely to reduce long-term
weather damage.

Phased-Array... very slick! I wonder how long before these are offered as an option for new home construction? The horizontal mount makes for some minor challenges with snow or debris accumulation, but otherwise offers an out-of-sight install that would (presumably) satisfy all those HOA types who don't like the mini dish installations.

The prospect of in-car entertainment is also intriguing.

Is it safe to assume that the XM and Sirius antennas are phased-array also?

Thanks,
Red

Dish in use

Instead of using LiveTV, however, Song had eFX installed. Matsushita designed eFX, which employs the Dish Network service to provide the satellite signal.
From: http://www.aviationtoday.com/cgi/av/show_mag.cgi?pub=av&mon=0105&file=livetvfad.htm

The one car antenna I have heard about rotates, but is quite thin. See http://www.kvh.com/Products/Product.asp?id=79 . I think Car and Driver tested one last year.

Why phase array the XM & Sirius? They are not PA'd in cars.

I still have a DVB-T-Receiver for my car and with this I receive more than 20 tv channels here in Berlin in digitaly quality. I don't need a satellite dish on my car ;)

I can receive sports, news, movies and series on my car in the same quality as on satellite.

Here's a list of our terrestric channels in Berlin and the county of Brandenburg:
http://www.garv.de/index.php?tpl=dvbt/programme.html