Satellite Radio Has Advantages Over "Free" Radio

From a purely "business" standpoint, doesn't continually "de-valuing" your product to retain people send a message of "S.O.S?"

I can remember the fun, hype, and service when XM was separate and new...had it in my car first available day and kept it for a number of years, until I wasn't commuting anymore....and always had a full rate subscription. (even as a terrestrial announcer, I had a long commute and loved the XM programming!) but...they seem to be "giving" away the product more and more....which is what SOME terrestrial stations did with their commercials.... and that eventually forced some to sell or shut down.

From a purely "business" standpoint, doesn't continually "de-valuing" your product to retain people send a message of "S.O.S?"

I can remember the fun, hype, and service when XM was separate and new...had it in my car first available day and kept it for a number of years, until I wasn't commuting anymore....and always had a full rate subscription. (even as a terrestrial announcer, I had a long commute and loved the XM programming!) but...they seem to be "giving" away the product more and more....which is what SOME terrestrial stations did with their commercials.... and that eventually forced some to sell or shut down.

Back in the early days XM sounded better than terrestrial radio and had larger playlists. Once Sirius merged with them things have gone downhill a lot. There is no way I'll ever pay full price again for the two radios I have that renew every year (the 3rd has a lifetime subscription). Between the mediocre sound quality, short playlists, and the nonstop chatter of the DJ's between songs it's almost as if I'm listening to an FM station....except FM sounds better.

Advantages on my receiver - Can rewind back something like an hour to anything you were listening to even if you changed channels.

Tampa, your receiver has so many more features than mine, it's not funny. :(

Ahem. It turns out that I too have a rewind feature, but it's not on by default. I inexplicably have to press the Replay button first. (Why not leave it on by default?)

Ahem. It turns out that I too have a rewind feature, but it's not on by default. I inexplicably have to press the Replay button first. (Why not leave it on by default?)

lol that sounds like autohop.Maybe sirius/xm is afraid they will get sued if they leave the replay on by default.:D

+1 on all that.

Advantages on my receiver - Can rewind back something like an hour to anything you were listening to even if you changed channels.
Song and Artist Alert - have a favorite song or artist? The receiver will alert you if that song or artist is playing on any channel.
Can record up to 10 songs
Ticker for stocks or sports
Can listen to same favorite channels anywhere
MLB all teams no restrictions. Real big feature for me.

There are some channels where I agree the DJ may talk too much or too long over a song. For the music channels I most listen to, The Decades, Hits 1 and 20 on 20, The Highway I don't find that very often. In particular 60's is great, with very good DJ's. On trips besides talk radio, some of the comedy channels are good too.

I REALLY Miss my XM over the Sirius for this feature alone.

It baffles me how these two companies can become ONE and still not have all the programming available to any sub, particularly to those with Automobiles that have the units in them.

FWIW, when I resigned up in Feb I think it was, I settled for $ 117 for each radio (3 radios) I dont remember if this included the internet or not.

Btw, I think they still try to get the full $199 for the 1st radio and discount the hell out of the others.

Mine is the same way ... wish it was on by default.

Well, I have to say "Ahem" one more time, because I figured out why the replay feature is not on by default. It's a screen "real estate" issue. When I press the Replay button, all my preset buttons disappear and are replaced by a scroll bar. :(

I just renewed my wife's Honda Pilot and I believe it was $99 for a year. I am not going to pay full price for this. We get a lot of drop out under heavy tree areas and when we were on vacation in the mountains it was really bad. The best thing for me is on a trip you are not constantly searching for a station but it does seem there is more talking and less music than there used to be.

I just renewed my wife's Honda Pilot and I believe it was $99 for a year. I am not going to pay full price for this. We get a lot of drop out under heavy tree areas and when we were on vacation in the mountains it was really bad. The best thing for me is on a trip you are not constantly searching for a station but it does seem there is more talking and less music than there used to be.

Yea dropouts are pretty bad up here,worse now with all the tree limbs hanging over the 2 lane roads.Call them up and threaten to cancel,that seems to be the best,possibly only way,to get a reduced rate.I go 6 months for $30 doing just that.$5 per month I can live with the dropouts.

I get tons of dropouts traveling to Vermont's Northeast Kingdom-weekends. I listen to 50's-60's-70's(+others) and the Jocks play the songs like it was back then ie: talking over songs, cutting songs short-like they need to squeeze a commercial in. Why are they in a rush? This is PAY radio, go slow. We are not in any hurry so why should you be in a hurry to cram songs in. I forgot to mention that each channel has a very limited playlist like back then. Same songs over and over-annoying! Paul

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)