Satellite restriction HOA

HFL

Original poster
Apr 3, 2018
los angeles
My Hoa wants me to remove my satellite dish from my balcony of my condo after 25 years,
First they said it cannot be on the common wall. I had it put on the balcony floor attached to the rail. Now they say it cannot be attached to the rail for support. I had this dish on my balcony for over 20 years with no problem. Is this legal can they just do that and fine me now because of their new decision now after all these years.

My Hoa wants me to remove my satellite dish from my balcony of my condo after 25 years,
First they said it cannot be on the common wall. I had it put on the balcony floor attached to the rail. Now they say it cannot be attached to the rail for support. I had this dish on my balcony for over 20 years with no problem. Is this legal can they just do that and fine me now because of their new decision now after all these years.

Over-the-Air Reception Devices Rule

My fiancée is asking me what my big issue with moving to an HOA is. Liberty I answered. She is still sour about it. I would rather live in a trashy neighborhood and have the free will to do as I please with my own property, than live in a nice neighborhood where I pay them to tell me all the things I can’t do, whether legal or not.
There are HOAs here that are trying to tell people that they must leave their garage door open between certain hours to make sure there is not someone living in the garage. I do believe it is in a court case currently.

My fiancée is asking me what my big issue with moving to an HOA is. Liberty I answered. She is still sour about it. I would rather live in a trashy neighborhood and have the free will to do as I please with my own property, than live in a nice neighborhood where I pay them to tell me all the things I can’t do, whether legal or not.
There are HOAs here that are trying to tell people that they must leave their garage door open between certain hours to make sure there is not someone living in the garage. I do believe it is in a court case currently.

...or running an illicit bar or brothel out of the garage. I rented a house where the HOA had a clause put in that you couldn’t operate a bar out of your garage. I guess it happens?

Reactions: Pere845
Still outside of their regulatory power to require anything be left unsecured. They become liable for anything missing. Their power is not limitless, and it’s not legal just because it is in the HOA contract(I learned.)

Do what I did when my son was living in a place with dumb ass rules can you have a flower pot, with a plant in it?

Get a pipe the same size that your dish mount uses, drill two holes through it one near the bottom one-half way up, put a long bolt through them, so the pipe will not turn.

Put in the middle of the pot, fill it with cement, use the fast dry one, make sure the pot is big enough to weigh 40 pounds of cement, paint the dish

How to Camouflage Paint
then tune in the signal, now cover the dish with plastic flowers, the signal will not go down, it passes right through the plastic

Now to really screw them up, put the dish upside down
, YES IT WILL WORK YOU JUST HAVE TO RAISE THE ELEVATION WAY UP, IT WON'T EVEN LOOK LIKE A DISH WHEN you're DONE, IT WILL BE A FAKE PLANT.

They like to play little Hitler.

There is huge condo village in my town, over 5,000 units after one time trying to do an install I would not even talk to someone over a dish there, no dealer wants to do the paperwork, and meetings it could cost you more as a installer then you could make, just not worth it for me, when I was working.

Way too much BS. and trees most could never see the birds either

I have a HOA.. not a condo though. Keeping the garage door open is crazy.. my HOA isn’t that strict but you do need approval for some things that need the neighbors signature.

A lot of people hate HOAs and I certainly understand that... but they do serve some good too as long as they aren’t too controlling. They keep property values higher, plan community events, maintain the community pool, and give me recourse if you have a neighbor thats being detrimental to those around you, but with that being said, if they don’t let you have a pot with a flower, that’s overboard.

I see both sides of it.

Get on the HOA board.

Not all HOAs are bad, I wish mine was stricter. I live in a small 24 house subdivision, most people maintain their houses but there are a couple that could use a little sprucing up.

I lived in one a few years ago that was pretty strict, the management company they used would walk the neighborhood looking for violations. I got a notice to paint the coax for my dish. No problem, went to Lowe's and got one of those little $1 sample paints and a foam brush.

Just make a free standing mount and do not attach it to the rail or the wall.
There's the solution. Even though the balcony is your own space, they can restrict drilling holes, which is probably what they're going after since you say it's attached to the railing for support.

Get a 5-gallon bucket, fill it with concrete mix, set your pole (straight, level) in it, and use that. Free-standing and they can't say anything about it.

Do what I did when my son was living in a place with dumb ass rules can you have a flower pot, with a plant in it?

Get a pipe the same size that your dish mount uses, drill two holes through it one near the bottom one-half way up, put a long bolt through them, so the pipe will not turn.

Put in the middle of the pot, fill it with cement, use the fast dry one, make sure the pot is big enough to weigh 40 pounds of cement, paint the dish

How to Camouflage Paint
then tune in the signal, now cover the dish with plastic flowers, the signal will not go down, it passes right through the plastic

Now to really screw them up, put the dish upside down
, YES IT WILL WORK YOU JUST HAVE TO RAISE THE ELEVATION WAY UP, IT WON'T EVEN LOOK LIKE A DISH WHEN you're DONE, IT WILL BE A FAKE PLANT.

I would love to see a photo of this

The law seems crystal clear to me and I would tell the HOA manager to show you their authority to override it. I would also suggest to him/her that they are not personally protected by the HOA for harassment and that you will essentially have their arse if they ever screw with you again. I'm not very diplomatic and would lay it out pretty clear for him/her but you may be better off not being so sharp.

These people are abusive sometimes and need a good reminder - be sure to copy the board with his/her and your correspondence. I would ask the board to replace the manager as well because you do not feel they are working for the betterment of the community and instead are nit picking unimportant issues affecting no one and in violation of federal law. They can fire him/her on the spot and these managers are easy to come by. They are licensed but no big shakes to get one. Suggesting termination will be a wake-up cal.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 1, Members: 0, Guests: 1)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)