Satellite subs feeling ripped off

In all fairness, I don't believe Direct should have taken all the hits.

I don't either. they talk about stuff in the fine print, but what they refer to isn't in fine print, it is in the cart as you build a system with D*. I guess the reading skills decline as you get to the meat of a subscription start, huh?

Part of the issue here isn't the satellite companies, its the people who don't honor their commitments.

If you commit to something you should do it, not run to the BBB to help you get out of your termination fees.

Some people just look for ways to get out of commitments.

A week after signing with Directv I got a call, she explained to me every single charge in my account, programming, equipment and the DVR. She then moved to the credits and rebates and told me how long they were going to last. She also told me if I understood that I was under commitment for 24 months. Of course I knew all this but I liked that they called to make sure customers know what they're getting into.

I also don't like the way they generalize Sat companies as if Dish and Direct are the same in every way. It seems that if one company does something bad, drops something, or charges a fee for something, these articles generalize "Satellite Companies" instead of pointing out the ONE company that does it

Last edited:
In all fairness, I don't believe Direct should have taken all the hits.

Perhaps; however why must it be a rebate to get the introductory price down. Once the system is installed and the installer has activated all the receivers with Directv Headquarters, there should be no need for a rebate form to be filed. Just do the pricing as advertised. If there are receivers that aren't activated by the installer, then require them to file a rebate form to get the advertised pricing.

As much as I truly dislike the lack of face to face contact that the digital age has brought about, one of the distinct advantages to doing things on line is that you can take your time read everything and if you have a question shoot off an e-mail or go to a chat. Of course you can make a call too but the other way you have your answers in writing. I also don't have to deal with over zealous CSR's who are trying to make a sale (and a commission), and just want to hurry up close the deal and move on to the next person.

I'm sure that many BBB complaints are made because consumers did not do due diligence when signing up for something. On the other hand we know how poorly trained Dish CSR's are I'm sure Direct is no better. It wouldn't surprise me if they skip lines of text they are supposed to read etc. so they can move the process along.

I do agree that rebate coupons are ridiculous, I honestly feel that the marketing guru that came up with that idea sold it by suggesting that there would be enough consumers that wouldn't send in the coupon that companies would actually make more money even after paying to have the coupon processed...Lets face it it's sort of like income tax, the government takes your money every pay day, keeps it uses it and then in April, if you are lucky you get some back, without interest. Companies that use rebates do the same thing. I pay full price and then have to wait for my discount (rebate), in the mean time the company has had full use of my money, I don't get any interest on it do I? But this another issue for another forum..

All I can say is thank Goodness for this site. I have learned more about Szt TV in 10 months than I ever new I wanted to learn!

Ross

Some people just look for ways to get out of commitments.

A week after signing with Directv I got a call, she explained to me every single charge in my account, programming, equipment and the DVR. She then moved to the credits and rebates and told me how long they were going to last. She also told me if I understood that I was under commitment for 24 months. Of course I knew all this but I liked that they called to make sure customers know what they're getting into.

Opposite for me, when I signed up with D* a little more then 2 years ago, nothing was explained to me, no talk of 2 year commitment, rebates, nothing, they just took my order and set up the install date.

Now I knew about everything because of this site, so I had no surprises and had no problem, I finished out my 2 years and then left because of a much better deal from Comcast, but I have no complaints about D*.

I've been getting a $10/month discount for the following items
1) Loyalty credit
2) Receiver credit
What ever those are. I could be wrong about the description/name as well.

Well, both of my credits have just ran out, so now my bill is $10 more.

Technically I have got 3 price increases in the past 8 months. (There was 2 different DISH price increases, plus my credits)

I do feel ripped off. I'm paying $160/month for nothing 'too spectacular' like having a brand new 922 or a sports/foreign programming packages.
If I ever upgrade to a 922 or a +1 package, I'd be paying near $200/month :eek:

The recession makes me want to switch providers to save money. I love DISH, I don't want to switch providers :(
I hate this recession.

Edit: It would be nice to have a set contract, stating I will only be paying a certian amount for a certian time.
No more price increases for the win! "OK, you'll be paying $100/month for 2 years. Nothing less or nothing more."

Last edited:
I've been getting a $10/month discount for the following items
1) Loyalty credit
2) Receiver credit
What ever those are. I could be wrong about the description/name as well.

Well, both of my credits have just ran out, so now my bill is $10 more.

Technically I have got 3 price increases in the past 8 months. (There was 2 different DISH price increases, plus my credits)

I do feel ripped off. I'm paying $160/month for nothing 'too spectacular' like having a brand new 922 or a sports/foreign programming packages.
If I ever upgrade to a 922 or a +1 package, I'd be paying near $200/month :eek:

The recession makes me want to switch providers to save money. I love DISH, I don't want to switch providers :(
I hate this recession.

Edit: It would be nice to have a set contract, stating I will only be paying a certian amount for a certian time.
No more price increases for the win! "OK, you'll be paying $100/month for 2 years. Nothing less or nothing more."

Hey,

No need to cut and run. Just take a look at your bill. New portal actually makes it a bit easier so check it out. Maybe there is something you don't need that you can eliminate. What package do you have? How many receivers? Did you get HD for life? If not check it out that will save $10.00 a month. Do you have HD Platinum? DO you really watch those channels? If not that could save another $10.00 a month. Most everyone here evaluates their service on a regular basis and makes the changes they feel are appropriate for them.
We all got hit with the same increases and those that had there phone plugged in prior to Feb 1 received the same credits and yes they have run out. I do agree that DIsh's pricing changes are ill timed given the economy but they are what they are. Depending on your needs going elswhere may save you some cash just be careful the grass may look greener but once you get to the other side it may not be as green as you thought1

good luck

Ross

not quite

Hey,

No need to cut and run. Just take a look at your bill. New portal actually makes it a bit easier so check it out. Maybe there is something you don't need that you can eliminate. What package do you have? How many receivers? Did you get HD for life? If not check it out that will save $10.00 a month. Do you have HD Platinum? DO you really watch those channels? If not that could save another $10.00 a month. Most everyone here evaluates their service on a regular basis and makes the changes they feel are appropriate for them.
We all got hit with the same increases and those that had there phone plugged in prior to Feb 1 received the same credits and yes they have run out. I do agree that DIsh's pricing changes are ill timed given the economy but they are what they are. Depending on your needs going elswhere may save you some cash just be careful the grass may look greener but once you get to the other side it may not be as green as you thought1

good luck

Ross

HD for life is a 1 time fee Platinum is 10 per month.

I don't think if you are in a contract for 2 years and have no introductory offer that the price should ever go up during that time. Price hikes should only be allowed if you do not have or are out of your 2 year contract. Once they have you locked in a contract they can raise your rates as high as they want. The only way the price should change is if you change programming. When you get a loan for a car the banks can't ask for more money a year after you sign the contract. They can't change your interest rate if it is fixed. It was nice when satellite tv first started. You bought your equipment and installed it. I don't ever remember them having long term contracts until they started leasing equipment. It saved a lot of headaches for people. If you wanted to cancel you could at any time without a penalty.

Opposite for me, when I signed up with D* a little more then 2 years ago, nothing was explained to me, no talk of 2 year commitment, rebates, nothing, they just took my order and set up the install date.

Now I knew about everything because of this site, so I had no surprises and had no problem, I finished out my 2 years and then left because of a much better deal from Comcast, but I have no complaints about D*.
it was the opposite for me too. remember 2 years ago how they advertised "FREE DVR" in their ads to get people to sign up, me being one of those. they outright lied as i found out in Februrary when they changed their billing and started charging for the DVR that was supposed to be free. i believe that is a breach of contract on their part

I don't think if you are in a contract for 2 years and have no introductory offer that the price should ever go up during that time. Price hikes should only be allowed if you do not have or are out of your 2 year contract. Once they have you locked in a contract they can raise your rates as high as they want. The only way the price should change is if you change programming. When you get a loan for a car the banks can't ask for more money a year after you sign the contract. They can't change your interest rate if it is fixed. It was nice when satellite tv first started. You bought your equipment and installed it. I don't ever remember them having long term contracts until they started leasing equipment. It saved a lot of headaches for people. If you wanted to cancel you could at any time without a penalty.

When you get your loan you know it is a fixed rate. When you sign your contract for either Sat provider you KNOW that prices and programming are subject to change. Dish and D* reserve the right to change it when they want. It states it on ther website, brochures and TV commercials.

I should be no surprise to people. I do agree it sucks though.

Part of the issue here isn't the satellite companies, its the people who don't honor their commitments.

If you commit to something you should do it, not run to the BBB to help you get out of your termination fees.

yeah BUT if the service doesnt work, or works crappy, or the company makes a major price or fee change then the company shouldnt be able to hold you to a contract.

I had FIOS phone not work, and I hate verizon since they refused to fix my phone or put me back on copper, or let me out of the contract.

we need a federal law to end such abuses.

Like E selling the low fee system just 2 days before the announced price increase took place........

PURE CUSTOMER ABUSE

Hey,

good luck

Ross

Right. I don't have the bill with me, but as I recall I have:
AEP, HD-250, with Platinum HD. I have two (2) ViP622 DVR's as well.

Yeah, I need to drop the $10/month Platinum. Although, I watch like 5 of the 16 channels. So dropping platinum would sort of be a let down. 5 out of 16 isn't worth it ;)

Dishnetwork is my favorite provider. I like their channel lineup, website, bill payment system, and DVR's. Just a lil expensive, that's all.

Thanks for the posting. :up

HD for life is a 1 time fee Platinum is 10 per month.

I think this is just clever marketing. A company could not give you "free" service for the next 50+ years. What if a depression comes? What if the CEO and company loses 70% of their money? What if they add 2,500 HD channels? They won't want any more money for 2,500 addtional channels? I sure as heck would want some more money if I'm offering people 2,500 more HD channels. What if contract agreement fights (Disney, etc.) happens and E* is forced to raise their prices or they will lose that content?

That's just IMO though. Clever marketing brings in new subs. When people hear "Free HD for life" they jump right in. I for one, am not jumping in. I feel something fishy going on. :(

But yeah, doing Free HD For Life would save me money...

Last edited:

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts