Satellite T8 moving to 119W, T7S to be retired.

• WELCOME TO THE NEW SERVER!

If you are seeing this you are on our new server WELCOME HOME!

While the new server is online Scott is still working on the backend including the cachine. But the site is usable while the work is being completes!

Thank you for your patience and again WELCOME HOME!

CLICK THE X IN THE TOP RIGHT CORNER OF THE BOX TO DISMISS THIS MESSAGE
Is that the one that had the Spanish channels ? (400 range )

Sent from my SM-N960U using Tapatalk

Is that the one that had the Spanish channels ? (400 range )

Sent from my SM-N960U using Tapatalk
Yep. ...

Spanish, Chinese Direct (Mandarin), and a few foreign genre music channels. ...

But those have all now been duplicated on 103(ca) at 103W so the original old DSS feeds on 119W can now be turned off. ...

Sent from my LM-V600 using Tapatalk

Reactions: dtv757
I thought we where getting rid of 119?

I guess AT&T would much rather sell the transponder frequencies to Charlie then let him get them for free.
For all intents and purposes they are, but those 11 DBS licenses there is still very valuable spectrum (especially to Dish).

So ATT/DIRECTV has to create an excuse to keep them.

AKA .... "Spectrum Squatting" ....

Reactions: TheTechGuru
For all intents and purposes they are, but those 11 DBS licenses there is still very valuable spectrum (especially to Dish).

Till they eventually merge.

Until they decide to retire MPEG2 SD they need to keep carrying the locals on 119 and T7S apparently has reached retirement age, so this isn't really squatting. But T8 has fuel life until 2034 so that's a very good satellite to squat with if they wish to try that after they finally dump MPEG2 SD.

We'll know they really are squatting if we see any whispers of a move of T9S to 110 to replace T5. Then we'll know they are just being a**holes lol

Reactions: comp9
My SD Locals from 119 disappeared this week, so no more local channels when I'm at my boat, BOO.
Once the SD transition is fully complete, that fate will unfortunately affect DIRECTV locals reception on all boats and yachts without the expensive Ka band capable systems.

As all locals carried by DIRECTV will soon be on the Ka band only. ....

Not to my knowledge ....

Nor was there any mention of it in the recent T8 narrative explaining why it is replacing T7S. Other than T7S simply reaching EOL ...

If T7S had a slow gas leak, AFAIK it was never made public by Directv. But whatever the reason, it appears it is reaching the end of its fuel life. That's a bit quicker than some other satellites (T5 at 110 was launched two years earlier but hasn't made any move towards retirement even though they are no longer using the slot at all) but not unreasonably quickly so if there's a leak it is only costing a few years.

I have no issues denying Dish transponder space at 119/110.

What’s going to be interesting is when the lease expires on 129 and the Canadian company that owns it doesn’t renew
The 10 year lease expired several years ago. And now runs on short term leases.

Whatever dish is paying now, it is more than anyone else will pay.

Sent from S10 Plus
using the SatelliteGuys app!

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)