Satellite TV: Room for VOOM?

John Corn

The Coach / Supporter
Original poster
Supporting Founder
Sep 6, 2003
North Canton, Ohio.
Will owners of high-end TVs zoom to VOOM?

Cablevision Systems, with its new, direct-broadcast satellite service named VOOM, hopes so.

Setting its sights squarely on the 2 million-plus owners of digital televisions, VOOM will offer far more widescreen, high-definition channels than are currently available from rival satellite services DirecTV and Dish Network or from local digital cable providers.

THE NUTS AND BOLTS: While Cablevision has not yet sprung VOOM's details, retailers and programming suppliers have pretty much let the cat out of the bag. Sears has the exclusive right to sell the equipment and service through January and is wiring stores for product displays.

VOOM will tout a staggering 39 HDTV channels, including 21 homegrown services dedicated to "niche" programming. According to a Sears memo, VOOM exclusive channels include: HD Rave, the first high-definition music channel; HD Ultra, a fashion, home design and travel channel; HD Gallery, a visual and performance arts service; and the mood channel dubbed HD MOOV.

Also in the offing are: HD Cinema 10, with 10 HD movie channels; HD Monsters, with sci-fi flicks; the all-cartoon HD Animania; action sports HD Rush; HD VOOM News, plus channels devoted to world sports and collecting.

THE BOTTOM LINE: Buyers of the Motorola-made VOOM equipment - initially priced at $749 for a receiver, an off-air antenna for local HDTV reception and professional installation - will enjoy the VOOM-HD exclusive pack plus one of six "plus" packs at no extra charge through January.

www.philly.com/mld/philly/entertainment/6855282.htm

See, Dish Network should do something like this to entice people to get the SuperDish and HD receiver.

Voom is launching its service with unique content to compete, to attrack those with HD big screen tv's that have more money. They are not going to get many sales if they do not come up with a lease or payment option. A lot of those with bigscreens are dying for a lot of HD content and this will be their way of getting it. This will probably rush Dish Network (who said would be the HD leader) to get as many HD channels up as soon as they can.

A lot of these channels are going to be like the Dish HDTV demo channel. Its really cool the first two days you see it, but after that, it gets old quick.

Plus you are paying through the nose for those channels too. The content played is going to be like the PBS demo loop.

I too would like to know what libraries Voom is pulling from for their exclusive channels.

I am also wondering will a lot fo these Nich Channels actually be in HD (1080i) or just a progressive scan 480p type format.

Only time will tell I guess.

I imagine that a lot of this is coming from Cablevisions programming arm Rainbow Media. They own channels like AMC, WE, IFC. However they don't have a film library but rather lease films from other companies like MGM and whoever they want a film from.

rtt2 said:
I imagine that a lot of this is coming from Cablevisions programming arm Rainbow Media. They own channels like AMC, WE, IFC. However they don't have a film library but rather lease films from other companies like MGM and whoever they want a film from.

That would be a great channel right there - AMC-HD. Take the best of the classic old films that they have access to and scan them for HD. Alot of people would pay the money just to see that!

It seems like it would be wise until we get some reviews from some people that have the service after a little bit of time to see if they see a lot of repeats and if the content is any good or not.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 1, Members: 0, Guests: 1)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts