Satellite TV’s Orbit Is Failing Fast

• WELCOME TO THE NEW SERVER!

If you are seeing this you are on our new server WELCOME HOME!

While the new server is online Scott is still working on the backend including the cachine. But the site is usable while the work is being completes!

Thank you for your patience and again WELCOME HOME!

CLICK THE X IN THE TOP RIGHT CORNER OF THE BOX TO DISMISS THIS MESSAGE

bluegras

SatelliteGuys Pro
Original poster
Apr 18, 2008
Satellite TV’s Orbit Is Failing Fast - TV News Check

Both DirecTV and long-time rival Dish Network have recently reported fourth quarter 2018 operating results and the numbers are not good. The satellite operators are suffering from the same problem as cable operators are — the proliferation of broadband OTT services. None of this is good news for broadcasters since the slow migration of subs from cable and satellite to OTT will likely suppress retrans revenue growth.

It's a shame because they let these retransmission providers hood wink them into these unsustainable price increases. They expect us to pay these outlandish rates. Some of it is the providers fault namely AT&T. It's scale and size of its empire. We are paying for this growing monopoly. When does it stop with the growth of these companies? They have to blame themselves too. They are looking at their shareholders and profit. As you can see the customers aren't having any of it. The stuff customers want; big bad AT&T won't provide. They 've cut a lot of stuff and took away features without any customer input. Look at Verizon - their DVR can record 15 shows at once, has autotune, caller ID and some on screen features you can do with the caller ID. Their onDemand library is much better than DTV's. I went on Fox OnDemand - not one damn program available. This has happened on many of the OnDemand channels. It stinks! I think you can see your message call list too. I could be wrong. At any rate - this is all nicely housed in the DVR. It looks like Orby satellite TV, YouTube TV and the likes are going to have a bright future!

Don't worry..they will jack up broadband to compensate

Sent from my SM-G950U using the SatelliteGuys app!

So true, especially for the folks who are satellite's stickiest customers in rural areas where there aren't other good options. Where I live, I expect broadband prices to stay low and what you get for your money increase, but few areas have the competition I do.

The way streaming works...you don't have to buy a package to get ESPN...you just buy ESPN...expensive? Probably...there will be plenty of free options...legal ones...locast for example...you are not locked into provider...unlike cable or satellite there is no installation or contract...you can switch from directvnow to slingtv on a whim...if you don't like it you can switch back immediately..end result will be far less useless channels nobody wants

they are no where near as large as they were
they used to control the entire phone system of the country

Actually between att and verizon..they control the entire internet backbone...the system that everyone has to travel on to get to a website...i am not talking about local connections..just the network everyone uses

Actually between att and verizon..they control the entire internet backbone...the system that everyone has to travel on to get to a website...i am not talking about local connections..just the network everyone uses

And of course Verizon was once known as GTE (General Telephone and Electronics) and they had a footprint across the USA at the same time as AT&T. They were not nearly as large but they were sizable. As an example, in Los Angeles, GTE had all of the beach cities as well as the northern San Fernando Valley. They also had most of the desert areas of Southern California.

And of course Verizon was once known as GTE (General Telephone and Electronics) and they had a footprint across the USA at the same time as AT&T. They were not nearly as large but they were sizable. As an example, in Los Angeles, GTE had all of the beach cities as well as the northern San Fernando Valley. They also had most of the desert areas of Southern California.

around here verizon wireless was bell atlantic mobile
an offshoot of bell atlantic, one of the baby bells

i still remember going to the att store as a kid when you needed a new phone. it was the only place to get one

Reactions: KAB and TheKrell
I never had AT&T service growing up. I had Continental when I was really young, and then Horry Telephone Coop when we moved to SC.

Nope. Amazon / AWS is the backbone of the internet.

Reactions: tspangle
You forgot about MCI...aka Verizon Business
MCI remains Internet's largest backbone

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)