Satellite USA WBS41602NF Question

• WELCOME TO THE NEW SERVER!

If you are seeing this you are on our new server WELCOME HOME!

While the new server is online Scott is still working on the backend including the cachine. But the site is usable while the work is being completes!

Thank you for your patience and again WELCOME HOME!

CLICK THE X IN THE TOP RIGHT CORNER OF THE BOX TO DISMISS THIS MESSAGE
Status
Please reply by conversation.

jeffbags

Original poster
Oct 27, 2008
Hello...New here and had a question concerning the Satellite USA multiswitch. I have the 5 lnb directv dish with about 7 receivers. I upgraded from the Zinwell 4x8 since I ran out of outputs. Switched everything over and could never acquire a signal. The Satellite USA multiswitch has a power port (19v) but no power adapter came with it. Before I forked over the $90 I wanted to check here to see if I should even need power. I guess the Zinwell is a powered multiswitch and the Satellite USA requires the add on power switch. Is this correct

Get a Zinwell Wide-Band 6x8

Hello...New here and had a question concerning the Satellite USA multiswitch. I have the 5 lnb directv dish with about 7 receivers. I upgraded from the Zinwell 4x8 since I ran out of outputs. Switched everything over and could never acquire a signal. The Satellite USA multiswitch has a power port (19v) but no power adapter came with it. Before I forked over the $90 I wanted to check here to see if I should even need power. I guess the Zinwell is a powered multiswitch and the Satellite USA requires the add on power switch. Is this correct
Your problem is your using a Zinwell 4x8 which is not designed for your dish. It will not pass the Ka band sats through(99,103). You would need a wide band 6x8. Make sure it says Wide band as there was an earlier version Zinwell 6x8. The Zinwell wide band 6x8 does not require a power supply.

If you have the need for more than 8 outlets a Zinwell 6x16(very pricey $200+) is recommended. It does require a power supply. You can also use 2 wide band 6x8's and a series of power passing splitters(Please be cautioned using the power passing splitters is tricky even for some experienced techs)

Last edited:
The Zinwell WB68 or WB616 are the only approved multiswitches for your DirecTV dish. The WB616 is no longer made but you can still find it. Your other option is to use two WB68's, for a total of 16 tuners. Split (using high frequency splitters) the four outputs from your slimline, matching port for port on the inputs of the WB68's. Then you will have 16 outputs to use.

Your other option is the SWM32 if all your receivers are SWM compatible.

http://www.satelliteguys.us/directv-forum/193757-first-look-directv-swm-32-switch.html

Sorry for the confusion...I had a wide band Zinwell (which worked) and bought the satellite usa multiswitch (Satellite USA) which is also wide band made specifically for directv. Is is supposed to see all 5 satellites. The one difference I saw was for the four inputs coming from the satellite. The Zinwell has two 13v and two 18v (two of which are for the higher frequency). The Satellite USA multiswitch has two 14v and two 18v again with two designated for the higher frequencies. So not sure about the 13v vs. 14v difference. I was going to go with the Zinwell WB616 but got a great deal on this (assuming it actually works). Anyway, the website stated this is specifically designed for the directv 5-lnb dish (even though it is not an approved multiswitch). Has anyone used this switch (Satellite USA - WBS41602NF) with DirecTV and if so did you have to use the external power source to get it to acquire a signal?
Thanks again,
Jeff

Sorry for the confusion...I had a wide band Zinwell (which worked) and bought the satellite usa multiswitch (Satellite USA) which is also wide band made specifically for directv. Is is supposed to see all 5 satellites. The one difference I saw was for the four inputs coming from the satellite. The Zinwell has two 13v and two 18v (two of which are for the higher frequency). The Satellite USA multiswitch has two 14v and two 18v again with two designated for the higher frequencies. So not sure about the 13v vs. 14v difference. I was going to go with the Zinwell WB616 but got a great deal on this (assuming it actually works). Anyway, the website stated this is specifically designed for the directv 5-lnb dish (even though it is not an approved multiswitch). Has anyone used this switch (Satellite USA - WBS41602NF) with DirecTV and if so did you have to use the external power source to get it to acquire a signal?
Thanks again,
Jeff

I have replaced more than 1 aftermarket multiswitch that customers have installed that where not "approved". Even it's a good deal..It's a raw deal if you buy it and it doesn't work properly..Now you're out $$$ and still don't have what you need! I would only buy it if you could return if it don't work. If it's new it should come with a power supply.

Thanks again,
Jeff

Thanks again,
Jeff

I have never used one of this brand. But it looks just like a Zinwell 6x8. By looking at the specs it does have a power supply that has to be plugged in for it to work. It should come with adapter that screws into rf port and other end plugs into an eletrical oulet. You can also use coax cable to extend your power supply cable if you don't have a dry plug in close to the wire junction.

I have that same multiswitch & works fine at my parent's house, got it before Spaun changed their name to Satellite USA. I've had it in the attic since the AT-9 was installed a few years back & the power supply is used. I can't see the switch working without power, especially on long cable runs.

I have never used one of this brand. But it looks just like a Zinwell 6x8. By looking at the specs it does have a power supply that has to be plugged in for it to work. It should come with adapter that screws into rf port and other end plugs into an eletrical oulet. You can also use coax cable to extend your power supply cable if you don't have a dry plug in close to the wire junction.
Sorry I meant to say it looks like Zinwell 6x16 not 6x8. These type switches must have power hooked up. The power supply is not optional.

Status
Please reply by conversation.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts