SatelliteGuys FIRST LOOK - DISH's Hopper and Joey

You can take the EHD from anything but the 211 series, plug it into the Hopper, and watch it on the Joeys, yes.

Sorry, there are no component outputs on the Joey itself. Only HDMI and composite. Recommend putting the Hopper on your main TV, rather than a Joey. You gain component outputs and PIP, too.

Can you protect a primetime anytime recording so that it stays on the hopper for more than 8 days?

I set up a normal recording of the office and that is in my dvr queue now so I think that will stay but I cant figure out a way to do the same things with shows that the system recorded in the primetime anytime folder.

Thanks,
Mike

2 ways - click on a PTAT show and select save, or make a regular timer and it will automaticaly save the PTAT timer (it will show skipped in your daily schedule, but it will save the PTAT show and not use an additional tuner).

Click on the program in the PTAT area and you will get drop down that gives you the option to Start Over , Save. Press Save and it will save in your area of the HD. If there is more than one recording of the program, then select the recording you want to save and click Save...

I do think the picture from the Hopper is clearer and sharper than the picture from the 722k. (Maybe Dish upped the signal strength to every subscriber who order the Hopper to get us to like it, then, later, they will lower the signal back down, hoping we won't really notice!):D

Ghpr13:)

Signal strength doesn't have any effect on picture quality. If there is the minimum signal available to get a picture you get the best picture possible. If the signal is below the threshold necessary, you don't get any picture or you get one that pixelates or freezes.

this might sound strange but it looks to me (on several installs) that the yes, it beats the clarity from a 722. BUT, i swear the picture on the joeys is better than the picture on the hopper itself.

If I'm doing the calculation right, I see: 722 = $6/mo DVR fee (2) 222 = $28/mo total = $34/mo plus programming Hopper = $10 DVR + Whole Home fee (2) Joeys = $14/mo total = $24/mo plus programming Looks like a winner to me!
Finally contacted Dish and even looked at my account. Apparently there is no savings for me to switch and instead the cost is higher. Currently I have Blockbuster@Home $10.00 America's Top 200 $59.99 HD Receiver $7.00 HD Receiver $7.00 DVR Service $6.00 Protection Plan $7.00 HD 200 Free ($10/Mo) $0.00 Blockbuster@Home - 2nd Disc $5.00 So I end up $4 more expensive switching to Hopper with 2 Joeys. Hmmm, I guess for now it is not worth switching as I am fine with my current setup. Whole house DVR would be nice, but not required at the moment.

Good to double-check with Dish. I was under the false impression you currently had two 222 receivers rather than two 211 receivers, which are $14/mo cheaper. (FWIW, I'm sticking with my VIP receivers too, for now.)

Finally contacted Dish and even looked at my account. Apparently there is no savings for me to switch and instead the cost is higher. Currently I have Blockbuster@Home $10.00 America's Top 200 $59.99 HD Receiver $7.00 HD Receiver $7.00 DVR Service $6.00 Protection Plan $7.00 HD 200 Free ($10/Mo) $0.00 Blockbuster@Home - 2nd Disc $5.00 So I end up $4 more expensive switching to Hopper with 2 Joeys. Hmmm, I guess for now it is not worth switching as I am fine with my current setup. Whole house DVR would be nice, but not required at the moment.

• $1 per month for Prime Time Anytime
  • $1 per month for Commercial Autoskip
  • $1 per month for a MUCH faster Interface and Station Logos
  • $1 per month for Whole Home functionality

$4 per month: Justified. :D

add $0.00 per month for HDMI output and DVR access for TV2 and $0.00 per month for HDMI output and DVR access for TV3
biggrin.gif
biggrin.gif
biggrin.gif

maybe I am a dummy and they are 211 and not 222.

It is the single view HD receiver...

I really did want the Joey in order to hide it behind a TV given its small size, but not any more I guess. Not ready to increase monthly cost.

• $1 per month for Prime Time Anytime
  • $1 per month for Commercial Autoskip
  • $1 per month for a MUCH faster Interface and Station Logos
  • $1 per month for Whole Home functionality

$4 per month: Justified. :D

stop...

although if BB at home continues its terrible turnaround time, I may drop the second disc at a time and save $5 to then add $4 and I win...

Okay, I've read through the first 5 and the last 5 pages of this thread (sorry, didn't read all 28 pages!) and ended up with some questions. FWIW, I currently have two 722s and one 508 (spare room). So I would want to set up 3 TVs.

I am on the fence on if we need more than 3 tuners or not. Right now the kids are too small to be watching TV the same time as us, but that will soon change and I think I'll be cramped on 3 tuners...specially with PTAT ON and all the <a'hem> crap my wife records. :) However, I REALLY want the whole-house DVR feature so that we are not tied to a particular television. I suppose in the theater room I could put a Joey AND a Hopper so that TV can watch anything. Hmmmm.

So, here goes;

(1) PrimeTime Anytime - How long does it keep the shows being recorded? I am probably not clear on this feature but say I want to watch The Office, and I usually let them queue up for several weeks before sitting down to watch a few at a time....according to another person's question I just set a timer but it will NOT take up a tuner for the recording. If my timer says SAVE/PROTECT than the PTAT show will be protected?

(2) Does PTAT take up an annoying amount of drive space or is it not noticeable given the 2 TB drive?

(3) If my other 2 tuners are being used for non-primte time shows, and PTAT is turned on and active, can I watch one of the PT shows that is being recorded?

(4) Do you need to plug broadband into every Joey, or just the Hopper? Is there a benefit to having it plugged into the Joeys as well as the Hopper?

(5) Can you now buy a 2 Hopper system? I'd want 2 Hoppers and one Joey in my house. It doesn't sound like the 2 Hoppers can share programming with each other, though, which is a shame.

(6) Install Cost...I was told by Dish that the upgrade cost for an existing customer was $100 for the Hopper and $100 for the tech visit. If I got 3 boxes (2 HOppers and a Joey OR 1 Hopper and 2 Joeys) does that same cost apply?

Thanks!

1: Correct. Timer on a PTA event will not use an extra tuner. It should inherit properties of the set timer, but I have not personally had one set for protect by default.

2: You have 1TB user accessible space. PTA uses a separate HD partition and does not take up any of your "user" 1TB space until saved shows are moved from PTA to the user partition after 8 days. You may consider the Dish reserved partitions annoying, but you will never see the Dish reserved space regardless if PTA is enabled or not.

3: Yes. You can select a in-progress PTA shows from the viewing status "red button" page, or navigate to the in-progress recording in the DVR menu.

4: Connection to Hopper is enough for most functionality. If you want Joey to have full, unrestricted app and DLNA access then connect each Joey wired or wirelessly, or use a HIC. Best way IMO is to use a HIC - it's the only method where one ethernet connection gets full functionality at all locations.

5: You can get a 2 Hopper/1 Joey system. CSR roulette may be necessary though. Hoppers currently can't share programming, but an update should be out this summer to share recordings at minimum. Joeys can switch between Hoppers at will.

6: Upgrade roulette can be frustrating. Standard in the past has been $100 each per Hopper with up to 3 Joeys included and a tech visit fee that is often waived or reduced to $15 if you have the service plan. Add the plan on and take it off afterwards. PM DIRT.

Great info, thanks.

4: Connection to Hopper is enough for most functionality. If you want Joey to have full, unrestricted app and DLNA access then connect each Joey wired or wirelessly, or use a HIC. Best way IMO is to use a HIC - it's the only method where one ethernet connection gets full functionality at all locations.

5: You can get a 2 Hopper/1 Joey system. CSR roulette may be necessary though. Hoppers currently can't share programming, but an update should be out this summer to share recordings at minimum. Joeys can switch between Hoppers at will.

6: Upgrade roulette can be frustrating. Standard in the past has been $100 each per Hopper with up to 3 Joeys included and a tech visit fee that is often waived or reduced to $15 if you have the service plan. Add the plan on and take it off afterwards. PM DIRT.
I'll have to look up HIC. Google didn't help me on this one...

If Hoppers can share recordings, that's all I care about. So when my wife is watching Jersey Shore upstairs and I'd rather see something else while cooking dinner, she can go downstairs to finish it! I'll keep my eyes out for that update.

If 1 Joey can jump between two different Hoppers...that opens up some nice options as well. Then, in theory I can put the Joey in the prime/theatre location, and have the two Hoppers at secondary sets. That could work as long as switching Hoppers from the Joey is, "so easy even my wife can do it" simple. If it is nested in menus...well, then I dunno.

Thanks for the upgrade tips.

To jump Joey to other Hopper, press blue button, select whole home, select other hopper, done.

Joeys only need network connection for DLNA functionality. A single HIC provides network connection to all Hoppers and Joeys over the coax.

Great info, thanks.

I'll have to look up HIC. Google didn't help me on this one...

If Hoppers can share recordings, that's all I care about. So when my wife is watching Jersey Shore upstairs and I'd rather see something else while cooking dinner, she can go downstairs to finish it! I'll keep my eyes out for that update.

If 1 Joey can jump between two different Hoppers...that opens up some nice options as well. Then, in theory I can put the Joey in the prime/theatre location, and have the two Hoppers at secondary sets. That could work as long as switching Hoppers from the Joey is, "so easy even my wife can do it" simple. If it is nested in menus...well, then I dunno.

Thanks for the upgrade tips.

HIC = Hopper Internet Connector. Basically an Ethernet to Moca bridge. Gives internet connectivity to all devices on the Moca net. The Dish tech should provide it, but depending on his knowledge you may have to push for it. Needed even more so for two Hoppers, otherwise each needs a connection. HIC is the best solution, don't take a single "you don't need one" from the tech as an answer.

Swapping Hoppers from the Joey is 4 or 5 button presses. My wife caught on pretty quickly. That said, put a Hopper at your primary location so you have PIP/swap functionality.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 3)

Latest posts