SatelliteGuys FIRST LOOK - DISH's Hopper and Joey

--- another questions: can i transfer my 922 timers from my remote to the hopper? - can i connect more than one EHD to the hopper? ---

I have a $ question. I currently have 6 outlets being served:
- 2 722's
- 1 722k

I just signed a new 2 year deal maybe 6 months ago, to the get the 722k. Would it be cost effective for me to swap the 2 722's for a hopper + 3 joeys? I'm currently paying $32/month in receiver fees.

I have a $ question. I currently have 6 outlets being served:
- 2 722's
- 1 722k

I just signed a new 2 year deal maybe 6 months ago, to the get the 722k. Would it be cost effective for me to swap the 2 722's for a hopper + 3 joeys? I'm currently paying $32/month in receiver fees.

You would need 2 Hoppers and 4 Joeys. Which would be $35 per month in receiver fees and $299 upfront.

How many types of video and audio outputs do the Joey's have (DVI, component, composite, coax, optical audio). Is a signal fed to all outputs at the same time like the VIP receivers? Can they output different signals to the various outputs at the same time or do they all share a single feed? Does the Hopper itself have any outputs?

randykimj said:
How many types of video and audio outputs do the Joey's have (DVI, component, composite, coax, optical audio). Is a signal fed to all outputs at the same time like the VIP receivers? Can they output different signals to the various outputs at the same time or do they all share a single feed? Does the Hopper itself have any outputs?

The Joeys have HDMI, composite, and optical audio outputs. I believe all outputs are active at the same time. They all sharee a single feed. The Hopper has HDMI, component, composite, and optical audio. You cannot backfeed over any Hopper lines like TV2 on the ViPs, that is what the Joeys are for. If you need Component or DVI on the Joey you would need to get a converter.

Sent from my iPad 2 using Forum Runner

It works because it just dumps the entire transponder to the hard drive, then sorts out the data for the 4 major network channels upon playing it back.
If the recurring timer is one that is also being recorded by Prime Time Anytime then it will only use one tuner for both.
Would be cool if the feature was not limited to the major networks - the ability to record all your shows, as many as you want at the same time, all using a single tuner. The obvious next step would be to use this method to cache a two-hour buffer of everything, not just one channel at a time. Think of it - being able to change channels and see an interesting show that was just ending, then backing up to watch the whole show, at anytime and not just prime time.
:whoo:

Would be cool if the feature was not limited to the major networks - the ability to record all your shows, as many as you want at the same time, all using a single tuner. The obvious next step would be to use this method to cache a two-hour buffer of everything, not just one channel at a time. Think of it - being able to change channels and see an interesting show that was just ending, then backing up to watch the whole show, at anytime and not just prime time.
:whoo:

That is not possible as all of the cable channels are on many different transponders, PTAT works because Dish puts HD locals on a single transponder.

isaacmorseMI said:
That is not possible as all of the cable channels are on many different transponders, PTAT works because Dish puts HD locals on a single transponder.

Not to mention the storage space a two hour buffer of all channels would require. Yikes.

Help Needed

Please help ... I have a VIP722 (rental from Dish) I only use it for a single room. Is there any reason(s) to switch to Hopper or hold fast with what I have? Note I do have a 1080p / 3D capable new SONY TV.

Please advise & Thanks !!!!!!

Neo2006 said:
Please help ... I have a VIP722 (rental from Dish) I only use it for a single room. Is there any reason(s) to switch to Hopper or hold fast with what I have? Note I do have a 1080p / 3D capable new SONY TV.

Please advise & Thanks !!!!!!

Bigger hard drive, HD GUI, PTAT, 3 tuners. But you would still have to pay the $4 Whole-Home fee even though you are using it for one room.

Sent from my iPad 2 using Forum Runner

Just want to issue a reminder (because believe it or not some people don't know) that we have a dedicated Hopper and Joey support forum here at SatelliteGuys! To check it out and learn more about Hopper check out The Hopper Zone

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 3)