SatelliteGuys Proposal: FTA Application, Driver Factory File Area or Repository???

• WELCOME TO THE NEW SERVER!

If you are seeing this you are on our new server WELCOME HOME!

While the new server is online Scott is still working on the backend including the cachine. But the site is usable while the work is being completes!

Thank you for your patience and again WELCOME HOME!

CLICK THE X IN THE TOP RIGHT CORNER OF THE BOX TO DISMISS THIS MESSAGE
Status
Please reply by conversation.
All for it, sounds like a great way to consolidate firmware for us 'box-collector' types, haha! I have quite a few saved for various models too, and none of them come from Microsoft, so we should be a-ok!

It seems like the biggest problem is verifying that no files contain illegal code this could take up a lot of moderator time and despite everyone's best efforts expose Satelliteguys to some risk.
We could leave the members to check if a file actually worked and give feedback.

I like this idea, as long as the files posted can be verified to be free of any illegal code.

I like the idea but also Tron brings up an important point. Many of the mods/admins are not going to have the receivers for the files being posted so they have no way to check and something like this is a little too important to leave on the honor system alone. I think they should be posted to a quarantine area to begin with where a mod can scan the file for malware before posting to the general forum and would also suggest that only members who have been here for a few years be allowed to post files. Not dissing the newer members but this makes sure that the poster has some skin in the game and not someone who joins to spam the section with malware and illegal bin files.

It would be a great idea! Also, would there be a way to make requests or suggestions for updates?

A+

I think it would be a great asset to this site. You already have a great reputation, so adding Factory files in one location for convenience to the users would be very beneficial.

I like the idea but also Tron brings up an important point. Many of the mods/admins are not going to have the receivers for the files being posted so they have no way to check and something like this is a little too important to leave on the honor system alone. I think they should be posted to a quarantine area to begin with where a mod can scan the file for malware before posting to the general forum and would also suggest that only members who have been here for a few years be allowed to post files. Not dissing the newer members but this makes sure that the poster has some skin in the game and not someone who joins to spam the section with malware and illegal bin files.

thats an idea...I know some good members have posted links before of software with no issues. I know with the manual section there is an e-mail that its sent to so the mods can see it first. So we might just do it like that

If I read the original correctly, It kinda sounded like Brian was voluntering to be a "Joseph" and make this idea work!
I think it is a great idea, however, I am one who would ned a whole lot of instruction to use it. (My facebook page is months old and i have not yet been able to find it without a link or to update it!)

thats an idea...I know some good members have posted links before of software with no issues. I know with the manual section there is an e-mail that its sent to so the mods can see it first. So we might just do it like that

Since it would be impractical for a moderator to be able to load and test each submitted file, I would suggest that submitted files be virus scanned then separated and posted into two categories.
1. SatelliteGuy Member Tested
2. Untested

If possible, a rating system should be implemented for members to rate the file and maybe an area to leave a short comment.

A subforum could be available to facilitate discussion threads on the files.

Since it would be impractical for a moderator to be able to load and test each submitted file, I would suggest that submitted files be virus scanned then separated and posted into two categories.
1. SatelliteGuy Member Tested
2. Untested

If possible, a rating system should be implemented for members to rate the file and maybe an area to leave a short comment.

A subforum could be available to facilitate discussion threads on the files.

Excellent idea

Status
Please reply by conversation.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)