SatelliteGuys Proposal: FTA Application, Driver Factory File Area or Repository???

Status
Please reply by conversation.

SatelliteAV

SatelliteGuys Master
Original poster
Lifetime Supporter
Sep 3, 2004
Roseville, CA
We often see requests for an application, driver or factory file to restore or enable an FTA product's operation. With the departure of many products from manufacturing and distribution, these files become more difficult to locate.

SatelliteGuys already hosts a FTA product manual area. I would like to propose starting a moderated software, driver and factory firmware section. This area could preserve the applications such as loaders, editors, device drivers and factory firmware files for future hobbyists. Hosting this service prevent the redirection of these request to visit sites with less than honorable intentions. The submissions must be limited to only applications and firmware that has no capability or intention of promoting theft of services.

I personally have collected many (often obscure or unreleased) applications and files that probably would be of interest to someone....

I dont have a problem with them as long as we can legally host them.

I think I can even setup a software download interface that plugs into the site so that way you don't need to download from a message. :)

But lets see what the other members think

I think it would be a great idea to have a software download section as long as it can be controlled and legal.There have been times recently that i have had problems finding software for the AZbox,and a section here would make life much easier.I vote YES!

I like the idea a lot, too. There are issues that will come up, though, I'm sure. For example, the excellent work someone has done updating the Cs 5000 firmware. Would that qualify as factory firmware ? I suspect so, since it has no illegal uses that I'm aware of, but it may be a grey area. Probably if such a repository is implemented, the uploads from members will be screened before being put in the repository.
My 2 cents.
:)

Excellent idea!

As a precaution to the safety of the members a quarantined vault for new, untested files would be preferable. Pre-screening with a test case pc loaded with some average antivirus & antispyware/malware tools to verify good files.

From personal experience I've had supposedly "safe" "factory files" become targets of Trojan attacks just because of the nature of these files. Recently the malware attacks have become more virulent.

"Cookies" aren't the sweets they used to be.:rolleyes:

I would love to see us do this here! This is a superb idea.

There are so many members here with so many different makes and models of equipment that it is difficult to track all the necessary files and application programs and editors down. Having support for this right here on the forum site would be a great asset to all the members.

RADAR

You obviously know what to do.I have different factory firmware,system clean files, and loaders for a few models.More than one factory file can be used ie.97w channel list or to add features like 'beep-on-lock-on',etc,which are different factory files but legal(or they wouldn't be a factory file!).It's a great idea!

I know we've thrown the idea around a few times but at the time the software still was shady (ie: still workable for the hackers) and with some receivers we didn't know what was legal and what wasn't.

But now we shouldnt have any issues :) I know I had a decent collection of old software here. Otherwise if the company is still in business we could just post a link to their site (ie: pansat)

Great Idea

A lot of us have files with drivers on that we have never used and aren't sure what cards they work on and in some cases we know for sure a driver works on one card and should work on another similar card.
It would therefore be nice to have provision for feedback so members can post there experience with a file or driver to help others in selecting a file.

Otherwise if the company is still in business we could just post a link to their site (ie: pansat)[/QUOTE]

I think this is a great idea as well. However, I think that the files should be checked somehow. Pansat got nailed by Dish for hosting hacked firmware on their site. The panny 1500 factory file was actually a hacked bin with nagra keycode in it. It even had the blacklist name on the file. My panny was rebooting with a transponder scan one day, and I decided to try 4 or 5 different files on it. I couldn't believe when I tried the newest factory file from panarex and the bin had a section with nagra keycodes.

I knew then that Dish had them, despite all the rumours.

Catamount

Catamount
I have a Pansat 1500 and the only file I saw there was one from like 3 years ago. I hadnt seen the "hacker" version one....interesting

Ice, you're the only one besides me that I have read have a 1500. I bought mine from KuSat, one of the first ever made. I think mine came loaded with factory 221, same as 2500. The first 8 months or so the factory bins could be used for either box. Then, they separated bins cause of clones.

I went back to Panarex 4 days later, but obviously they had replaced the factory file with a legitimate bin. I often wondered if someone hacked their site and put the hacked bin there?

Or was a disgruntled employee responsible? Guess we'll never know the true reason.

Catamount

Status
Please reply by conversation.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)