SatelliteGuys Review: Logitech Revue with GoogleTV – A Diamond in the Rough

BobMurdoch said:
Couldn't be easier.... Sling Adapter plugs into open HDMI port in the rear of my 722 (I also have an external hard drive plugged in as well). Revue has an HDMI cable that goes between your receiver and your TV (in my case a projector) ... You plug HDMI into sat box, then other end into revue, then a second cable from revue to your TV. It takes care of the rest. I love having internet access (plays most sites, although a little sluggish for some data heavy ones), and it can't open sites with .pdf files or print to a printer... Other than that it is great for streaming video (especially Netflix, Amazon Prime, etc.)

One correction: the sling adapter plugs into a USB port, not HDMI. I have both working nicely here.

Sent from my iPhone using SatelliteGuys

for the revue: don't forget a connection to the internet. either wireless or wired. plus a connection to the receiver, either wired or wireless.

I ordered my revue from amazon yesterday and it will be arriving today....I'm really looking forward to testing this thing out.

Anyone know how to mask your location on a Revue? My mom wants to watch the TN football game tomorrow on ESPN3 but it is blacked out in the state of TN.

One correction: the sling adapter plugs into a USB port, not HDMI. I have both working nicely here.

Sent from my iPhone using SatelliteGuys

Doh! Didn't realize I typed that... You are absolutely correct. Only one HDMI port on the back of the 722, but multiple USB ports.

for the revue: don't forget a connection to the internet. either wireless or wired. plus a connection to the receiver, either wired or wireless.

If you have a choice, go with the wired connection when possible... Less chance of interference or weak signals degrading your connection.

Anyone know how to mask your location on a Revue? My mom wants to watch the TN football game tomorrow on ESPN3 but it is blacked out in the state of TN.
I can't access ESPN3 at all using the Revue. I read snippet on Amazon stating that the Revue hasn't worked with ESPN3 since ESPN3 turned into "Watch ESPN." Hope it's fixed soon.....

I can't access ESPN3 at all using the Revue. I read snippet on Amazon stating that the Revue hasn't worked with ESPN3 since ESPN3 turned into "Watch ESPN." Hope it's fixed soon.....
The biggest issue with ESPN3 is that your broadband provider must explicitly offer it. If they don't, you won't get it.

There may be other issues associated with the Revue, but the carriage thing nails it for many.

Your location is given up by your Internet IP address which cannot be changed or hidden by anything you do on your side.

The only way to fake an IP address would be to VPN through someone else's system which would give you their address to use.

ESPN3 requires support for Flash 10.3. Current Revue supports 10.1. Long awaited Honeycomb upgrade is supposed to fix this.

Your location is given up by your Internet IP address which cannot be changed or hidden by anything you do on your side.

The only way to fake an IP address would be to VPN through someone else's system which would give you their address to use.

Which would then introduce the problem that your connection speed through the VPN would be limited to how ever much bandwidth is allocated to that connection. So unless your VPN provider has unlimited bandwidth, you're going to take some kind of hit in connection speed and latency going through it.

I note you cannot use the Revue to watch anything on Dish Online? Why does'nt dish fix this since they distributed the Revue and charge an integration fee, at least a Revue user should have
access to ALL Dish programming. Also why dont they put another line item on the screen for broadband users?

Why doesn't DISH create an application for the Revue for Blockbuster? Seems a no brainer to me if you want DISH subs to take Blockbuster instead of Netflix. Even the Revue has Netflix .

I note you cannot use the Revue to watch anything on Dish Online? Why does'nt dish fix this since they distributed the Revue and charge an integration fee, at least a Revue user should have
access to ALL Dish programming. Also why dont they put another line item on the screen for broadband users?

I keep thinking the same thing. When will they have it working with the Revue unit? After all they sell the Revue!

From the Logitech Forum:

Hi All,

I've just asked our marketing folks about this, and the 50% code was a limited offer (only emailed to a selected number of registered Logitech customer). The discount code is *not* being sent to all users who register on Logitech's website.

Regards,
AntonC
Community Manager

Re: Coupon Code 50% off - Page 2 - Logitech Forums

I just received my coupon code, but the 50% off doesn't work on the Revue. In the fine print it says:

Offer not valid on Logitech Revue or in conjunction with any other discount or offer.

Of note - from what I could tell, its still the old hardware, just with Honeycomb (if you watch the video, the cards near the equipment = the old model numbers). Engadget's headline is just not quite accurate!

I recently purchased the Revue. I have a Bose system with DVD and a Video System Enhancer (VS2) which provides my HDMI ports (my TV does not have HDMI). Can anyone tell me how to connect this?