Scott Greczkowski

Welcome HOME!
Original poster
Staff member
HERE TO HELP YOU!
Cutting Edge
Sep 7, 2003
Newington, CT
Since the arrival of the Slingbox on the scenes in July of 2005 people have had a hard time explaining what a Slingbox is. A Slingbox is an amazing product which is usually better explained by showing what it does then explaining it. And once you show someone what a Slingbox can do they want one. The same can be said about the new Slingcatcher from Sling Media.

slingcatcher-791699.jpg

The Slingcatcher is like a Swiss Army Knife for watching Video. If you can watch it on your computer, you can watch it on any TV.

First and foremost you can enjoy any of your Slingboxes on any television no matter where you are. This is great when your traveling and beats watching TV on your laptop. The Slingcatcher comes with its own remote, which lets you control your video equipment at home.

In the pictures of the remote, it looked triangle in shape, however this is an illusion and s flat on the back and is quite easy to hold and operate.

For my testing I was able to enjoy my Dish Network HD DVR, my DirecTV DVR, my free to air satellite system, and cable television from the office. All just like I was sitting in front of them.

Setting up the Slingcatcher was simple, I opened it up plugged it into my network, hooked it up to my TV and after booting up and accepting a software update I saw all 3 Slingboxes in my house. I was quickly watching my Slingboxes and the quality was excellent.

In order to see my Slingboxes that were not in the house I needed to log into my Sling.COM account, doing this was kind of a chore, but only because I have a long email address. To enter your email address and password to log in you use the number keys and type in the letters like on a telephone.. Once setup I was able to see all of the Slingbox units I own. (And note that to do all of this I never needed to touch a computer or configure my router.)

In my house I have a Slingbox Pro HD unit, A Slingbox Pro Unit, and a Slingbox Classic unit. The picture quality on both pro boxes was very good, While the picture on the older Slingbox Classic looked a little like I was watching video on the internet. Disappointing was the fact that I could not watch the HD from my Slingbox Pro HD as the Slingcatcher does not currently support HD streaming, but again the picture looked very good.

The Slingcatcher features standard AV video outputs, plus SVIDEO and Component outputs plus coax digital audio output as well. Settings let you customize the Slingcatcher for the TV you are hooking it up to and you can even specify the resolution you want the Slingcatcher to output at including 1080i.

There is no real manual included with the box just a quick setup guide. But setting it up and using it is a no brainer. The menus are well laid out and explain things well. You can even program the Slingcatcher remote to control the power and volume controls on your TV.

8976-slingcatcherrear.jpg

Besides letting you watch Slingboxes on your TV the Slingcatcher is also a good media player. By hooking up an external hard drive or USB drive to one of the two USB ports on the Slingcatcher you can watch your media on the drives. This worked very will but not surprisingly wouldn’t play some on my purchased iTunes songs due to Apples silly DRM. (Note Sling is working on software called SlingSync which can be used to convert incompatible formats to make them playable on the Slingcatcher.)

Another neat thing that the Slingcatcher can do is by using the Slingcatcher with a PC and using a downloadable windows based software called the Slingprojector. With this software anything you see on your PC can be shown on your television. But the Slingprojector does not just mirror your entire screen onto your TV, you can pick the area of the screen you want projected on your TV. In doing this the Slingprojector just takes that portion of your screen and blows it up on your television. Now I know a lot of you are saying Blowing up a standard Youtube video on a big tv set must look bad, but surprisingly sling has some kind of magic technology in the Slingcatcher which blows up small video nicely on your tv without it looking like a bunch of big pixel blocks.

In testing this me and my kids watched videos on Youtube for hours. It was fun watching these videos on tv, but would have been hard for us to all watch if we watched on a PC.

I found it neat that by using the play, pause, rewind buttons I was able to control stuff on my PC, it was like having a wireless mouse. The Slingcatcher remote operated Windows Media Player without any issues.

The Slingprojector portion of the Slingcatcher is VERY powerful and I feel it is not being marketed correctly. This application could get heavy use in the business world, in fact I took my Slingcatcher to work this week and hooked it up to my conference room projector as we were on a video conference getting training for a new phone system we will be installing. With the Slingprojector we were able to take the video (and only the video) and put it on the big screen while I was able to use my laptop to check email and do other things below the video window. My co workers also enjoyed taking the little video window and being able to see it full screen. Personally I think every conference room should have on of these units, they can be used in many ways for your business.

In another test I was able to pair a Slingcatcher with a Slinglink Turbo setup. The Slinglink uses Homeplug technology to transmit you internet connection via the power lines in your house.

To test this I took a TV to my basement and hooked the Slinglink Turbo broadcaster upstairs in my bedroom. I hooked the Slinglink box into my router then went down to the basement. I hooked up the TV, Slingcatcher and Slinglink receiver and within a few moments I was watching live television.

Testing things I was surprised to get speeds over 4345 Kbps via the powerlines in my house! The Slinglink is a great way to expand your network in your house without running new cat 5 cable in your house and is great when WIFI is not practical. My Slnglink Turbo box features a built in 4 port hub making it easy to expand my network almost anywhere in my house.

I got to be honest, I didn’t really want a Slingcatcher, but now that I have one I am using it a lot. I now have a small TV at my office and am able to watch and control my satellite systems without needing to lose space on my computer monitor with the Sling software. And being able to control my home equipment using a real remote. The Slingplayer is a winner to me.

As I said in the beginning the Slingcatcher is hard to explain until you used one, and once you used one your not going to want to give it up.

There is still time to ask Santa for one of these this year under your Christmas tree.

Pros:
Easy to setup
Your forget your watching TV over the internet.
Slingprojector is a powerful tool.
Very Good Picture Quality

Cons:
Does not currently display true HD from a Slingbox Pro HD unit.
Can’t play files that have Digital Rights Management
High price causes sticker shock (but ultimately it’s worth it)
Slingprojector software is only available for Windows

For more details on the Slingcatcher visit Sling Media - SlingCatcher and for more details on the Slinglink Turbo check out http://www.slingmedia.com/homeplug

Spot on review. I've been running a Slingcatcher coupled with an HD Pro and Pro Slingbox over a Slinglink turbo. Works exactly as advertised and I pull about 450K through the Slinglink'd network. I've also attached Linksys 5 port hubs to each of the Slinglinks and they work great.

The Slingcatcher is an evolving product and I can see a lot of potential in it. I'm sure at some point they will add the ability to log-in directly to Sling.com for direct content d/load. I'm still hoping for true HD quality resolutions from PRO HD streams.

Sling could sell a lot of these Slingcatchers if they marketed them differently, there are a lot of business applications for this box.

As I mentioned in my review, the Slingprojector application is excellent for any conference room. Plus added to the fact that it can tune SLingboxes if there is a major news story it will be easy for all companies to tune in the news and project it for all their employees.

Another use for it is live remote broadcasts for Radio and TV stations. ANywhere there is an internet connection you can have a live remote broadcast. You can even hook a slingbox up to a cellular connection to tranmit out and use the Slingcatcher to catch the broadcast and rebroadcast it out.

What all do I need?

Due to a purchase of and HP laptop I recently made at Best Buy this laptop came with the Sling player already installed and offering a 15% discount off the purchase of any Sling product so I am thinking of getting one, but the question is what all do I need.

Here is what I basically want it for.

My setup is 2 pc's one wired one wirless connected to a wirless router (Linksys).
Both pc's are hooked up to 2 flat screen LCD's HD tv/monitor.

Connected to one of my LCD's is my Direct TV HD dvr. I mostly want to be able to watch my Direct HD on my other monitor w/o buying another recieve so do all I need is just the HDPro slingbox?

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)