SatelliteGuys Special: Satellite AV GEOSATpro 1.2M $99 + $100 Shipping

Status
Please reply by conversation.
..... I have a lot of high wind, and this prevents the slipping I saw with stock parts. However the dish with the DG-380 bounces around in even moderate winds and easily loses lock, so I tried mounting the second dish to a HH motor. This is far more stable, but not perfect for reasons I did not discover until I put up the fixed dish. I thought the latter would be a no-brainer, but it too wobbled.

Finally I went up during one of the wind storms to see what the problem was. I put a laser level on different parts - the pole was rock solid but the sheet metal mount of the dish that attaches to the pole and dish was flexing laterally. This appears to be the weak link and would require heavier gauge metal or more reinforcement to withstand my winds. In the end I stabilized the LNB on the fixed dish with a lightweight pole and it will hold lock during horrid wind storms. I presume few others have wind problems like I do, as I have seen no one else commenting on it.....

Pendragon,

I have commented on this once in the past. It may have been obscurely hhidden in a thread of a different subject, however.

I have experienced problems with wind here while using the GeoSatPro 1.2M dish.

Once, and this had absolutely nothing to do with the dish... It came in the spring following the thaw. I had the dish set on a tripod with three 1/2" diameter, all-thread anchor rods that were set about 24" deep on each of the tripod legs. The wind was blowing hard enough to lift these anchors up out of the loose ground 1/4" to 1". This was enough to cause me a lot of frustration as it took me quite a while to observe this in action. Evidentally, the tripod did not return to the same position after the gust had passed and thus kept throwing my mast alignment off.

I have also experienced a problem with the dish itself, when the wind was exceptionally strong. Approximately 45-50 mph sustained winds with frequent gusts up to 65 mph. It was ripping shingles off the house, tree limbs off the trees and even tore the gutters off one side of the house. The wind was pretty constant from the same direction for several days. I noticed that a few satellites around 97W-101W and the lower power sats from other areas of the arc were having troubles maintaining a consistent lock. The channel would blip or burp or drop out for a second or two and then recover. I could still watch the program, but it was a little annoying.

Here is the kicker to my observations, if you look at the specs of the dish from SatelliteAV's site, you will find this information: Operational Wind Speed 90 km/H (56 mph). You can see that the wind speeds I was experiencing were really pushing the specified limits of the dish's recomendations, so the dish was actually operating according to its manufacturer's specifications.

That was some pretty strong winds and they are not common for my area. In all honesty, when we get winds this bad, we are usually pondering going to shelter in the basement. Our satellite reception is the least of our worries and there is often such heavy rain and hail at the time, that it wouldn't matter regardless. It was only on a couple of occasions that this has occurred. Also, you will have to realize that I set this dish almost out in a barren field - devoid of trees and buildings to block the wind (in order to obtain the best LOS).

Except for the problem with my tripod anchors, you absolutely must admit that this is a damned good testament for this dish and its size! Also, I only used the option to incorporate the third U-Bolt and nothing additional to secure the GeoSatPro dish to my DG-380 motor tube, and that NEVER moved!

What else can I say, except that I am very proud of the operation of this dish.

I have applied the Invacom QPH-031 LNBF on this dish. I no longer use the circular side of this LNBF as there is nothing worthwhile (free) there. But, it is working exceptionally well with this dish for all the FTA linear sats that I can get from 30.0°W all the way west to 127.0°W

You won't be disappointed with this dish.

RADAR

RADAR - As I indicated twice in my post, I am very happy with this dish, have three of them and recommend it highly to friends.

I would be even happier if the dish could actually stay operational to anywhere near 90 km/h (56 mph). Operational to me means holding lock. Putting aside my motorized GEOSATpro dishes, I pointed my fixed 1.2m at the Shaw Direct birds (107.3 & 111.2W) for our subscription service. All but 2 of my 15 dishes have to be on the roof because of city ordinances. We live close to the crest of a hill and enjoy some pleasant wind storms. I can't say precisely what the wind speeds are on the roof, but we have a weather station not too far away mounted 8' off the ground. The dishes are no more than 15' higher.

When the winds exceeded 20-25 mph on the ground, the fixed dish (without front/back stabilization) would regularly lose lock. Save a flimsy 1.8m Fortec, all my other dishes will hold lock to 2-3X these wind speeds. Shingles don't fly off the roof and trees keep their limbs. The fixed dish no longer has this problem, because I stabilized the front of the dish, however I can't do this for the motorized 1.2m dishes. I can live with my 1.2m, but it is a limitation.

Brian,

Can you offer this (from your sweet newly-updated website) in conjunction with this special offer?:

"Two units can be shipped together in one shipping box with no increase in freight cost."

I'm guessing that you can't but thought I would ask, in case a couple of SatGuys that lived fairly close together wanted to split the cost and make a great deal even better (or an individual wanted 2 of these).

Thanks for the great offer, keep 'em coming, hope you sell a metric rumpload of these!

Can you offer this (from your sweet newly-updated website) in conjunction with this special offer?:

"Two units can be shipped together in one shipping box with no increase in freight cost."

Two dishes is a single carton with no shipping cost increase is always an option...... but it will need to be via telephone in order to provide the correct shipping cost.

Line up and place your orders!

Thank you for your interest in this SatelliteGuys Special! :D

We will be posting another Satellite AV SatelliteGuys deal very soon!

Thanks for the great deal Brian. The dish was delivered Thursday, opened the box last night and installed it today
on a new DG380 motor. The elevation adjustment was easy with this design. Was in a hurry and only spent about
15 minutes adjusting it. It replaced a 90cm dish and good improvement, especially on S2 signals. Nice solid dish
and good finish. Thanks again.

Hindu55 (Jim)

Pics of the new GEOSATpro 1.2M. I picked up three U-bolts at the hardware that were smaller than
the originals. They just fit the bracket and fit more snug against the motor tube.

GEO12M_004.JPGGEO12M_002.JPGGEO12M_001.JPG
GEO12M_003.JPG

I picked up three U-bolts at the hardware that were smaller than
the originals. They just fit the bracket and fit more snug against the motor tube.]

Thanks for posting up the pixs! Looks great!

What size tube is on that motor, 42mm? What size u-bolts did you substitute? Is the second offset LNBF for circular or the 103W skew?

What size tube is on that motor, 42mm? What size u-bolts did you substitute? Is the second offset LNBF for circular or the 103W skew?

Motor tube is 55mm. U-bolts from Ace hardware said for 2 inch pipe. They measured 2.5 inches I.D., 5/16 thread. Just fit the openings in the bracket.
Second LNBF is Circular. The S2 on 103W Storms in with normal skew. :)

I like how you added a U bracket under the two U brackets used for the motor. This makes it easier to adjust the motor and to add extra protection in case the motor slips.

Thanks,
Had that under the 90cm setup also. After pulling my hair out trying to adjust it, I added the u-bolt.

Status
Please reply by conversation.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts