SatelliteGuys Technolgy Review: The Slingbox from Sling Media

The box says it requires a Pentium IV. Is that accurate? What speed? But I will ask again----can it work witha wireless connection. ?

Maybe the next version will add digital audio and/or component I/O; I'll need to wait for that.

AND... It should be noted that:

Product Advisory the Sling Media Quality Dudes determined that some Slingboxes may have a component inside which causes intermittent performance and quality issues. Our job is to maintain 100% user happiness with your Slingbox experience.

If your Slingbox has a serial number in the range of 50600000 to 50700801, please read this tech article for more details. Your serial number is printed on the bottom of your Slingbox. If your serial number is not within this range, Sling on!

lovswr said:
Scott, do you have any sort of bandwidth monitoring software? I would like to know the up/down speeds of your home server when you are watching 942 HD at your office. Also (if you don't mind) are you cable/dsl FTTP :D & the rate

Scott where you able to do this. I would be interested in the speeds also.

I would also be curious if it would work with a VPN connection.

I bought one of these last week and I am hoping to hook it up to my DP7100. Has anyone been successful in doing this yet?

I purchased one but will probably return it. Since I could not get an answer anywhere I bought one to see if it can be connected toa a network wirelessly----it cannot. Oh well. Live and learn.

The only problem I see with a dynamic ip address is that to connect from a remote location you would need the current ip address, or use something like dyndns. Other than that, it's a simple port forward...anything that hits the external on the router with that specific port will be redirected to the correct device (slingbox). Speaking of ports, it would be nice if the port could be configurable. Anything ethernet can work wirelessly (AFAIK). They make adapters that connect from a devices ethernet port to a wireless network, kinda like the opposite of an access point. I have an access point right here in front of me that can be an AP, bridge, or client. In client mode anything ethernet connected to it will be on the wireless network.

No it does not require a static IP.

Each Slingbox has a unique "Locator ID" when your slingbox is plugged in and connected to the internet every few minutes your Slingbox connects to the Slingbox locator servers and reports your ID and IP address.

This way when you out somewhere you just input your Locator ID which checks the Slingmedia database for your IP address and connects you. :)

The slingbox can work wirelessly, depends on your setup. I tried it but was not impressed with the throughput from my wireless adapter which I had hooked to the slingbox. (More of a problem with the adapter then an issue with the Slingbox itself)

Hey, I like the locater ID idea. How fast of wireless were you using and what adapter? Just because I curious. For something like the sling to work good wirelessly, the adapter and AP would need to be good...and located fairly close. No I don't have the sling box, I just work with networks often.

I dont have the model of the adapter with me, I borrowed it from a friend as my Linksys WGA54G would not work with it as its not passing along an IP address.

I don't understand why wireless would be an issue with the Slingbox? Even good old 802.11b should be able to handle it since the upstream internet connection you have would probably be the weak link due to th limits ISP's have on upstream speeds.

Upstream in your house transmits at over 1,000k. I dont think these video game adapters could transmit that kind of speed. :)

Scott Greczkowski said:
Upstream in your house transmits at over 1,000k. I dont think these video game adapters could transmit that kind of speed. :)

What ISP are you using that has a 1Mbps upstream link? In SBC land DSL upstreams in usually 384Kbps (actually lower with PPPoE/ATM overhead). The Slingbox web site says the box needs 'at least' a 256Kbps upstream link. Now if you're talking about wanting this for inhouse viewing from your PC I can see you're point but I thought the major purpose of the box was to alllow for viewing over the internet from a remote site.

Hmm, I wonder if this would work over broadband satellite after all since it requires 256kbps upstream. I imagine there would be a delay using that.

Scott Greczkowski said:
No it does not require a static IP.

Each Slingbox has a unique "Locator ID" when your slingbox is plugged in and connected to the internet every few minutes your Slingbox connects to the Slingbox locator servers and reports your ID and IP address.

This way when you out somewhere you just input your Locator ID which checks the Slingmedia database for your IP address and connects you. :)

The slingbox can work wirelessly, depends on your setup. I tried it but was not impressed with the throughput from my wireless adapter which I had hooked to the slingbox. (More of a problem with the adapter then an issue with the Slingbox itself)

Thanks for all the input Scott :D

Scott, what is the record button for on the remote? I was told that I could record and program DVR on my 942 remotly from my computer via Slingbox. Is that not correct?

pederb said:
Scott, what is the record button for on the remote? I was told that I could record and program DVR on my 942 remotly from my computer via Slingbox. Is that not correct?
That's correct, you can use the virtual remote to instruct your 942 to record and perform all the other functions (play, pause, rewind, guide, DVR, menu, etc). For some reason their Menu button is mapped to the 942's DVR function. They have another option called Menu under the Remote button that's mapped to the 942's Menu function. In other words, they have two items both named Menu, but mapped to different functions.