SatelliteGuys.US Bell ExpressVU Uplink Activity Report - Week Ending 04/28/2007

Shuffling and renaming satellites

It appears that the old DirecTV satellite that was at 91 degrees has or is about to run out of fuel. It was first renamed Nimiq 3, but recently is now known as Nimiq 4i.
BEV announced early this week that another old DirecTV satellite with a limited lifespan has taken its place, and they've named it Nimiq 4iR. It is the same model as the one it has replaced, but of course its footprint might be a bit different. Without a hardware change, there is only so much they can do with its footprint. As I understand it, all they can do is re-aim it. They have done so, but it is unclear if its signal is as strong as Nimiq 4i.

So for those of you who were on the fringe of getting a decent signal from Nimiq 4i, can you give us a comparison? Specifically, how do the signals on transponders 4, 8, 10, 12, 18, 22, 24 and 26 compare with those you used to get from the old satellite transponders 3, 7, 9, 11, 17, 21, 23 and 25?

Signal strengths...

So for those of you who were on the fringe of getting a decent signal from Nimiq 4i, can you give us a comparison? Specifically, how do the signals on transponders 4, 8, 10, 12, 18, 22, 24 and 26 compare with those you used to get from the old satellite transponders 3, 7, 9, 11, 17, 21, 23 and 25?

Am in the Carribean, and getting a slightly stronger signal on 4iR (with all over 95%). I am bummed at the move of the EPG to TP7 from TP4 - can only pick it up overnight, so getting EPG updates will be erratic. Last time there was a major shuffle I had to stay up overnight (on a weekend) and peak the dish's reception for the EPG transponder (with the other TP's suffering slightly as a result).

And in these latitudes, the [negative] effects of the sun on reception peak towards July-August... not to mention the normal wandering of the birds in their orbital slot. <SIGH!>

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)