SatelliteGuys.US DishNetwork Uplink Activity Discussion - Week Ending 11/10/2007

Another clue may be in documents like http://fjallfoss.fcc.gov/edocs_public/attachmatch/DOC-277080A1.pdf

Where Capitol Broadcasting Company, Inc got permitted to transmit to Rainbow1 from North Carolina. Hmmm why would they need an uplink to R1 from NC? Maybe because R1 needs uplinks under the spots and they could uplink some LiL from NC to somewhere nearby.

Here is another one from SC http://fjallfoss.fcc.gov/edocs_public/attachmatch/DOC-275833A1.pdf

Yes..and no... maybe.

Does make you wonder about things. Where do the VOOM channels get uplinked from? Ever notice they have never combined other channels with the VOOM TP with just 3 channels? Makes you think they are uplinked from somewhere that doesn't have say Discovery, TLC, RSN's, etc.

Quick question for digiblur. I like the idea of starting the uplink report on Sunday. It makes it easy when you subscribe to the thread. I was wondering if you might go one step further and just rename it the uplink report and leave previous uplinks on the page. It would be nice to have a quick reference to previous reports. Just an idea and thanks for providing this service.

I really like tha idea. One master uplink thread and one master uplink discussion thread.

I like it the way it is with a clean slate everyweek.

Maybe create a folder for the old reports and threads for easy finding.

I don't know if vBulletin supports this, but you might be able to do both things, if it is possible to create a virtual thread name that points to the actual thread. For example, create a sticky virtual thread named "This week's uplink activity". Point this virtual thread to the actual thread name "Uplink Activity for the week ending 11/10/2007". Next week, move the virtual thread's reference to the new uplink report thread. If you subscribe to the virtual thread, then you should always be looking at the current week's thread.

Yes..and no... maybe.

Does make you wonder about things. Where do the VOOM channels get uplinked from? Ever notice they have never combined other channels with the VOOM TP with just 3 channels? Makes you think they are uplinked from somewhere that doesn't have say Discovery, TLC, RSN's, etc.

If you read the links provided, you'll see that the only thing they show is Echostar was requesting the FCC remove authorization for their Rapid City, SD earth station to communicate with some random satellite that got put on the authorization by accident. The NC and SC earth stations are part of the next listing on that page. They have nothing to do with Echostar or Rainbow-1. (sorry I quoted you, it was mike123s original post).

If you look up SES-MOD-20070801-01013, it has a copy of the letter from Echostar to the FCC requesting this.

In response to digi's question, I think all of Voom is uplinked from South Dakota, and that facility was inherited from Rainbow DBS.

Here is the entry that pertains to Echostar from that 16 page PDF:
SES-MOD-20070801-01013 E E020248
Class of Station: Fixed Earth Stations
Application for Modification
EchoStar Satellite Operating Corporation
Page 9 of 15
Nature of Service: Other
Modification filed to change remote control point, remove ALSAT as a point of communication.
44 ° 11 ' 14.20 " N LAT.
SITE ID: 1
RAPID CITY, RAPID CITY, SD
103 ° 20 ' 7.50 " W LONG.
ANTENNA ID: Beacon 1&2 8 meters VERTEX RSI 8M KU
12696.6000 - 12697.4000 MHz 800KF3D BEACON 2
12204.6000 - 12205.4000 MHz 800KF3D BEACON 1
ANTENNA ID: TT&C 13.2 meters VERTEX RSI 13.2M KU
17303.6000 - 17304.4000 MHz 800KF3D 83.00 dBW ANALOG / DIGITAL
17303.2500 - 17304.7500 MHz 1M50KXD 83.00 dBW COMMAND
12203.8500 - 12204.1500 MHz 300KGXD TELEMETRY
12203.6000 - 12204.4000 MHz 800KF3D ANALOG / DIGITAL
Points of Communication:
1 - RAINBOW1 - (61.5 W.L.)

If you read the links provided, you'll see that the only thing they show is Echostar was requesting the FCC remove authorization for their Rapid City, SD earth station to communicate with some random satellite that got put on the authorization by accident. The NC and SC earth stations are part of the next listing on that page. They have nothing to do with Echostar or Rainbow-1. (sorry I quoted you, it was mike123s original post).

If you look up SES-MOD-20070801-01013, it has a copy of the letter from Echostar to the FCC requesting this.

In response to digi's question, I think all of Voom is uplinked from South Dakota, and that facility was inherited from Rainbow DBS.

Ugg you are right, false alarm. They did not permit new uplinks to R1. Well there goes a good theory when I needed one.

I still do not expect them to move AMC-14 to 61.5. A whole satellite for 2 TPs seems excessive. Also they have filed a delay in the construction of the E3 replacement with the FCC because they are having trouble booking a launch, so they definitely appear to have a new satellite in the works for 61.5.

Right now, since they have 4 TPs for local markets, they could make 4 TPs into spot TPs and pick up quite a few markets. Of course they would probably be markets that have their RSNs on 61.5, but I guess they could do the Dish 1000 plus wing configuration with a DPP44 for markets that have RSNs on 129.

All in all making 4 of the R1/E12 TPs spots costs them nothing in space and adds a bunch of markets.

I agree with the AMC-14 in some cases... but one question keeps jumping out. They've had R1 for a while with these HD LiL's on them for a while now. What logistics prevented them from firing up R1 in spotbeam mode before this?

We just have to wait and see what they are trying to unfold here. I'm going to do some more digging and see what I can find in the tables this evening. Are there any FCC docs you can dig up about the spotbeams on this bird?

Ugg you are right, false alarm. They did not permit new uplinks to R1. Well there goes a good theory when I needed one.

That listing wasn't in the most readable format, gotta love government publications :). I was fooled too until I went back and looked up the modification request # and saw that it was just some administrative housekeeping.

As to why its taken them so long to use the spotbeams, we can only guess. Most likely it has to do with frequency reuse, which requires more uplink facilities. Also, since the coverage of 61.5 is so limited, I see them adding no more than 5-7 new HD LiL with the spots. They might have been waiting on construction of backhauls from the local channel POPs to the uplinks, retransmission agreements, etc, etc. Just some random thoughts. Not much more we can do since there is limited info about the satellite.

Cincinnati locals would be nice, too. Same deal for us, been promising them to us forever and ever.

Cincinnati locals would be nice, too. Same deal for us, been promising them to us forever and ever.

Are your RSN's on 61.5 or 129? This would be a good determining factor for anyone curious if they could possibly get HD locals out of this change.

I was wondering if you might go one step further and just rename it the uplink report and leave previous uplinks on the page.

I really like tha idea. One master uplink thread and one master uplink discussion thread.

I like it the way it is with a clean slate everyweek. Maybe create a folder for the old reports and threads for easy finding.

I don't know if vBulletin supports this, but you might be able to do both things, if it is possible to create a virtual thread name that points to the actual thread. For example, create a sticky virtual thread named "This week's uplink activity". Point this virtual thread to the actual thread name "Uplink Activity for the week ending 11/10/2007". Next week, move the virtual thread's reference to the new uplink report thread. If you subscribe to the virtual thread, then you should always be looking at the current week's thread.

How about just add a link in the current Uplink Report to the previous Uplink Report thread and that will create a chain so you can keep going to the previous week's Uplink Report, week by week.

Other than that, maybe there could be a sub forum added, like the HD Discussion and Technical Discussion sub forums. This way, all the Uplink Reports and Discussion threads could all be shown. Though, I'm really not sure what else could be added to this sub forum.

The links to the previous threads would seem to work nicely though.

Just another idea to add along with those above.

Thanks -

When I need to look back at something I just go to advanced search, pick DishNetwork forum and put in

SatelliteGuys.US DishNetwork Uplink Activity Report
by username - digiblur

The HD RSN for Cincinnati is on 129 and not on 61.5. Does this bode well for Cincy HD locals coming sometime soon?
Think about it. E* will probably add the HD LIL's (if that is E*'s plan) on 61.5 for those markets that are using 61.5. Mostly the Northeast and Southeast areas.

Think about it. E* will probably add the HD LIL's (if that is E*'s plan) on 61.5 for those markets that are using 61.5. Mostly the Northeast and Southeast areas.

Exactly! No costly truck rolls to add a wing 61.5 dish since they already have one.