SatelliteGuys.US DishNetwork Uplink Activity Report - Week Ending 04/07/2007

The SELECT HD games does not mean that Dish is going to arbitrarily choose which games that are already shown in HD on the network to actually broadcast on satellite. It means that the Regional Sports Networks ALREADY choose certain games to broadcast in HD, and those will be the ones Dish rebroadcasts. I read on Engadget that Fox Sports networks are doing a LOT less HD this year than last year due to the "lack of HD trucks," which is funny because they had the trucks last year!

As much as many of us want to make Dish out to be "arbitrary evil geniuses," they are actually just doing what the other carriers of HD RSN's are doing, making available only the HD content.

So i take it these will only be available on the vip receivers and not the 811 I have?
Yep. 129 tp8 is sending MPEG-4, according to Lyngsat.com. And, any sports fans that decided to avoid the 129 satellite and it's problems, will now have to re-think their strategy. These RSNs aren't mirrored on 61.5.

I need to try harder to get the wife to concede to me upgrading! Maybe after our vacation is paid for, I can sweet talk her into it....

Probably should be asking this in one of the D* forums, but does anyone here know if D*'s HD RSNs are full-time simulcast channels where only certain programs(games) are in HD, and the rest is SD(or SD upconvert)...like ESPN2 HD?

Or are D*'s HD RSN channels only lit when there is an HD game to show (like E* seems to be doing with the 2 RSNs that went live yesterday)?

I checked D*s channel lineup PDF from their website, and really couldnt even find the HD RSN channels.

Or do you just tune to their SD RSN channel number and if the game is HD and you have an HD TV/receiver you get the game in HD?

Guess I'm trying to figure out if is going to be more cumbersome to find the games on E* than it would be on D* by having to check the SD RSN channel to see when/if a game is airing and then check to see if that game is in HD in the 360-399 channel range.

Not that FSNSW is even avail yet...

"Guess I'm trying to figure out if is going to be more cumbersome to find the games on E* than it would be on D* by having to check the SD RSN channel to see when/if a game is airing and then check to see if that game is in HD in the 360-399 channel range."

Correct me if i am wrong, but won't the HD Mapdown feature of 4.01 take care of the need to search issue?

"Guess I'm trying to figure out if is going to be more cumbersome to find the games on E* than it would be on D* by having to check the SD RSN channel to see when/if a game is airing and then check to see if that game is in HD in the 360-399 channel range."

Correct me if i am wrong, but won't the HD Mapdown feature of 4.01 take care of the need to search issue?
I have mapdown turned off, but when I go to the EPG "All HD" list, they're both there. I have the SD RSN in my "Sports" private list.

So...... any changes other than a couple of RSN's that aren't HD full time?

Kind of disappointing really.

The SELECT HD games does not mean that Dish is going to arbitrarily choose which games that are already shown in HD on the network to actually broadcast on satellite. It means that the Regional Sports Networks ALREADY choose certain games to broadcast in HD, and those will be the ones Dish rebroadcasts. I read on Engadget that Fox Sports networks are doing a LOT less HD this year than last year due to the "lack of HD trucks," which is funny because they had the trucks last year!

As much as many of us want to make Dish out to be "arbitrary evil geniuses," they are actually just doing what the other carriers of HD RSN's are doing, making available only the HD content.

As far as I recall, at the minimum, all White Sox home games are in HD. During yesterday's home opener, Comcast was saying throughout the game it was being broadcast in HD.

However, CSN Chicago was not "turned on" yesterday at all. So, I don't think E* is making all the games that are broadcast in HD by the RSN's available...

I remember recently reading an article that said Fox Sports would be covering a lot more HD this year. I believe it said over 1000 games this year. That doesn't sound like less to me.

Edit: http://www.expertsatellite.com/blog/direct-tv-news/fox-sports-net-doubles-hd-output/

Here you go. It says that FSN is doubling their hd lineup this year.

HA! That is the most generic (DirecTV no less) blog report I've ever seen.

EngadgetHD's report is recent and they are usually very reliable.

Here's the link:

http://www.engadgethd.com/2007/04/01/fox-sports-scaling-back-hd-mlb-coverage/

EDIT: I was referring to HD MLB games (which I thought we were talking about) and not overall HD.

As far as I recall, at the minimum, all White Sox home games are in HD. During yesterday's home opener, Comcast was saying throughout the game it was being broadcast in HD.

However, CSN Chicago was not "turned on" yesterday at all. So, I don't think E* is making all the games that are broadcast in HD by the RSN's available...

I DID NOT SAY THAT DISH WOULD BROADCAST GAMES ON CHANNELS THAT WEREN'T TURNED ON!

A quick lesson in reading comprehension would reveal that I was talking about ACTUAL carried channels and ACTUAL HD broadcasted games on those ACTUAL carried channels.

What I am saying is that there is less content than many might think. Hopefully I am clearer on my point now.

Yep. 129 tp8 is sending MPEG-4, according to Lyngsat.com. And, any sports fans that decided to avoid the 129 satellite and it's problems, will now have to re-think their strategy. These RSNs aren't mirrored on 61.5.

129 works quite well with the new 1000.2 Dish. It is a bigger dish but it really brings in 129 well. I actually am using a 1000+ with 118 disconnected and 61.5 added (to get both 61.5/129) with rock solid signals on 129. It will be nice to get both sets of RSNs.

Where's YES HD?

:D

Jeez, if you are a Yankee fan and STILL with E*, I don't know what else he can do to flip you off any further. If you are a Yankee fan, take your business to D* or cable is the message they are sending.... It got worse if you a transplanted New Yorker where you could at least get the visiting team feed, but that looks to be out the door barring an April miracle (I never thought E* would even consider dropping their pants to keep Extra Innings)

Jeez, if you are a Yankee fan and STILL with E*, I don't know what else he can do to flip you off any further. If you are a Yankee fan, take your business to D* or cable is the message they are sending.... It got worse if you a transplanted New Yorker where you could at least get the visiting team feed, but that looks to be out the door barring an April miracle (I never thought E* would even consider dropping their pants to keep Extra Innings)

Same thing for Red Sox fans...just substitute NESN-HD for YES HD

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)