SatelliteGuys.US DishNetwork Uplink Activity Report - Week Ending 04/14/2007

Well speaking with others dealing with their locals in HD. Most have told me they look just has good off their Dish if not better than getting them off their OTA.

Most people don't pay attention to details, while E* has made strides in improving their MPEG4 encoding there still is a difference and it's very obvious when comparing to an OTA HD channel. Their MPEG4 encoders still seem to soften the overall picture and mess with the color saturation a bit. But i'll take more MPEG4 HD channels so we can get more HD content.

Most people don't pay attention to details, while E* has made strides in improving their MPEG4 encoding there still is a difference and it's very obvious when comparing to an OTA HD channel. Their MPEG4 encoders still seem to soften the overall picture and mess with the color saturation a bit.

Unfortunately I don't think you'll see many great improvements in that. Just like mp3's the very act of compression causes loss. While the HD encoders Dish is using are better there's still another generation jump rumored to come about where what you're describing will be "virtually" unnoticeable to the average viewer.

I'm very satisfied with my OTA HD reception. I just want my Dish HD LILs for those times when I want to record more concurrent network HD shows. :hungry: (Thursday nights are a problem)

SatelliteGuys.US DishNetwork Uplink Activity Report - Week Ending 04/14/2007 - 8 changes

Uplink Comparison Range: 04/12/2007 08:08A - 04/12/2007 01:08P - (GMT-06:00) Central Time (US & Canada)

290 - HBO-E (A) removed from EchoStar7 119W TP 02 ConUS beam
291 - HBO2E (A) removed from EchoStar7 119W TP 06 ConUS beam
292 - HBOSG (A) removed from EchoStar7 119W TP 06 ConUS beam
293 - HBO-W (A) removed from EchoStar7 119W TP 19 ConUS beam
294 - HBO2W (A) removed from EchoStar7 119W TP 13 ConUS beam
295 - HBOFM (A) removed from EchoStar7 119W TP 08 ConUS beam
296 - HBOCY (A) removed from EchoStar8 110W TP 11 ConUS beam
297 - HBOLT (A) removed from EchoStar8 110W TP 21 ConUS beam

Channels in the system: 3252
(A) = Available to subscribers
(NA) = Not Available

You might be right... I have no way of knowing this. But if I see Glendive, Montana getting HD locals next month, I'm going to cable!!! :eek:
Actually, I started a whole thread about how it makes more sense for Dish to add HD Locals in rural areas than urban areas.
People in urban areas can put up an OTA antenna and get better quality HD locals for free.
People in rural areas often cannot receive OTA, and so they have a greater need for HD locals by satellite.

Well I hope OKC getting their HD locals is a good sign Tulsa will too soon. Another good sign Dish has to be the co-operation with Griffin Communications by launching their OKC station. Since D* couldn't get them to let them add their Tulsa station.

SatelliteGuys.US DishNetwork Uplink Activity Report - Week Ending 04/14/2007 - 1 change

Uplink Comparison Range: 04/12/2007 11:23P - 04/13/2007 08:03A - (GMT-06:00) Central Time (US & Canada)

433 - MASN2 moved from EchoStar8 110W TP 16 ConUS beam to EchoStar7 119W TP 18 ConUS beam (A)

Channels in the system: 3252
(A) = Available to subscribers
(NA) = Not Available

Scott,

Is CINEMAX HD finally coming to E*? What have you heard? Its this uplink another tease from E*? or has E* reached an aggreement finally to carry the channel?

From what I understand when they first uplinked it, it wasnt Cinemax HD, it was Universal HD. Now however it is truely Cinemax HD.

I am sure they need to run it for a bit to tweek the MPEG4 encoders for the best quality for the channel possible.

I would expect it (if its not launched today) to be online for customer by May 4th.

From what I understand when they first uplinked it, it wasnt Cinemax HD, it was Universal HD. Now however it is truely Cinemax HD.

I am sure they need to run it for a bit to tweek the MPEG4 encoders for the best quality for the channel possible.

I would expect it (if its not launched today) to be online for customer by May 4th.

Thats great......thanks for the info.