Satelliteguys.us First Look, Digital Transition Conversion Boxes.

goaliebob99

SatelliteGuys Master
Original poster
Supporting Founder
Aug 5, 2004
-.-. .... .. -.-. .- --. ---
While the other guys are giving you First Looks at revisions of products you already know, Satelliteguys.us is hard at work giving you First look’s at revolutionary products you can get on the Market or through beta programs here. First the FyreTV IPTV boxes and now with digital converter coupons in hand we are giving you a first look at two different Digital TV conversion boxes that you can pick up at your local Wal-Mart / Best Buy Right now!

reviews057.jpg
reviews069.jpg

Our first box can be found at your local Wal-Mart Super center. The Magnavox TB100MW9 can be had for about 49.99, or 9.99 plus tax with your coupon from the Government. Upon opening the box we see that the contents of the box is the unit itself, the remote, two double A batteries, and one short 75 ohm cable. The unit it’s self has one digital TV in, a TV out and 1 RCA connection out.

reviews068.jpg
reviews059.jpg
reviews067.jpg

Installation was really simple as you hook up the AV cables to an open video port on your TV to the RCA connection on the box. It would have been nice if these were included in the box as they are required to get this thing going and are very cheap cables. Optional Setup would be to hook up the 75 ohm cable to your TV instead of the AV cables from the TV out on the back of the box.

One nice feature to this box is that it has an external power switch to manually reset the unit, if it was ever to freeze up.

reviews066.jpg

Setup was easy and should be a breeze for any user, but the graphical interface could use a little polishing but was easy to the eyes and looked like it was coded in the 90’s. Scanning for OTA channels was a breeze and only took one min to complete from start to finish and found only 27 OTA channels out of 30 I was able to receive. The tuner box on this guy missed WYCC-DT (20). Other bugs found were the receiver often did not display the proper signal being received. At times it would show no signal while displaying a picture.

reviews075.jpg
reviews080.jpg
reviews081.jpg
reviews082.jpg
reviews083.jpg

Remote responsiveness was nonexistent at times as it would not respond to my remote commands.

Other Disappointments were the lack of OTA guide and OTA guide population. The box says it includes an onscreen TV guide, but the only Guide to be found was the banner on top that displays the current channel and what’s on. You could not scroll forward to find out what’s coming on. Over all I am very disappointed in this product from Magnavox. It looks like it was rushed out on the market and care was not given to the product as it could have used one more final polishing. Over all I would give this one 2 stars out of 5 as it’s just good enough for the kids room.

reviews071.jpg
reviews072.jpg

Our next box is the Insignia NS-DXA1, and can be found at Best Buy as it’s there ATSC Store brand converter. I had to go ask a sales associate where there digital tuners were as the ATSC add on box for HDTV ready sets was placed next to the DirecTV boxes and was priced at 174 dollars. This product was placed next to the TV’s in the back of the front of the store and was in a location that was hard to find as the emphasis was to sell TV’s. The pricing on the unit is 59.99 or 19.99 after your coupon.

Upon opening the box, you notice that all the cables required for installation are there, and the surprising thing is that the remote only takes one Triple a battery. The remote felt good in the hand and was easy to use. Hookup was the same as our first box and was installed within seconds. .

reviews073.jpg
reviews074.jpg

Upon turning the unit on, you can notice the quality was much better than the Wal-Mart version and reminded me of a legacy DirecTV receiver. The Menu’s even showed a picture of a C-Band dish as if the software was written by a satellite company.

reviews097.jpg
reviews098.jpg
reviews099.jpg

Finding channels was just as quick as our first review and the unit found all 30 channels I am able to receive in the Chicago market minus WBBM. At the time of this writing WBBM is on VHF Low and is Un-receivable in many locations including mine. WBBM is scheduled to change to VHF-High channel 12 at 3.3KW in 2009. All included features are there, but the one downfall of the program guide was it does not populate guide data from other channels. You have to physically tune to the channel to get data. As promised it does have a TV guide but without populating guide data from other channels, this feature is useless.

reviews094.jpg
reviews095.jpg
reviews092.jpg

This box displayed the digital signal received accurately and was reliable when tuning into channels. The box even accurately found WCIU-DT 26-6 which is out of order from its sub counterparts 26-1 (WCIUHD) 26-2 (METV) 26-3 (METOO). Now if we can get DirecTV to add these to their channel mappings we would be all good!

reviews096.jpg
reviews100.jpg

While the box did its job and performed well, I feel that the price point should be where its Wal-Mart counterpart is at. This box does well and is suitable for any TV that isn’t Digital TV ready! Over all it gets 4 Stars out of 5.

reviews101.jpg

Last edited:
nice job Bob! great timing as the first coupons are hitting mailboxes.

I've seen a lot of new/generic brands with these upcoming boxes. not many mainstream brands like Samsung, Sony, etc. I would think they would want a piece of this pie too?

Who is in charge of compiling and transmitting the OTA EPG? Is that fully mandatory yet? Could that be why the EPGs data is lacking?

Do they send the coupons out to some people before they do others? I got my coupons last week but my dad that lives right beside of me had not gotten his yet.

I got the LG Zenith-branded DTT900 Digital to Analog Converter Box and installed it for my elderly parents, today. They have a really old 26 inch Sony Trinatron CRT TV.

Other than having to use the original remote to turn the TV on, the NTSC tuner can be easily disabled, if there is no antenna connected to the coaxial input. By connecting the box with the composite inputs, the TV defaults to them. Also, you can delete all of the received NTSC channels on the tuner. That would make the TV default to composite input.

The remote is set up in nearly the same confuiguration of the 10 years and older Sony remote, so it was very easy for them to learn.

One nice feature it that the remote requires only one AAA battery

I've seen a lot of new/generic brands with these upcoming boxes. not many mainstream brands like Samsung, Sony, etc. I would think they would want a piece of this pie too?
I think brands like that want to be associated with NEW technology not old. These boxes also keep people from buying new TVs and allow them to use their old ones. Easy to understand why they aren't playing this game....

All included features are there, but the one downfall of the program guide was it does not populate guide data from other channels. You have to physically tune to the channel to get data.
I've never understood how boxes did otherwise. The guide data comes from the PSIP stream and only comes from the channel itself. If you're tuned to channel "5", how can it get PSIP data for channel "8" ? I have an older DirecTV HD set-top that I use for OTA (back-up now) and it's the same way. I have to cycle through the channels before the data fills in for all channels. Kinda annoying but we don't use it much at all, so I live with it.

In order to get PSIP data for non-tuned channels, I'd think it needs a 2nd tuner.

Thanks very much. Very usefull review. I will be purchasing one of these as a back-up in cases where Sat reception is out. I had to use the built-in tuner of a 13" digital TV at one point last week. I would also use it for rare cases where I want to bring an additional TV into a room for sporting events like the upcoming NCAA tourney. I would be interested in a broader review of other units that included the performance of digital tuners in tough areas. Will there be some HD versions of these available at reasonable prices that the coupons can be used for?

I've never understood how boxes did otherwise. The guide data comes from the PSIP stream and only comes from the channel itself. If you're tuned to channel "5", how can it get PSIP data for channel "8" ? I have an older DirecTV HD set-top that I use for OTA (back-up now) and it's the same way. I have to cycle through the channels before the data fills in for all channels. Kinda annoying but we don't use it much at all, so I live with it.

In order to get PSIP data for non-tuned channels, I'd think it needs a 2nd tuner.

I was wondering how the TR40 and 50 populates this then as at ces it had data from all the chanels that had PSIP data. It stores all that data and gives you a guide like how you would see it on D* and E*. I was expecting the same from both of the boxes I reviewed, as when you picture a program guide in your head, that is how you view it.

Looks like from the GUI of the Insignia, it seems they are using LG software. My grandma uses an LG HDTV tuner and the fonts are EXACT. That reveals what Insignia is using. Looking forward to seeing improvements from other companies.

Does anyone know if any of these upcoming boxes will be HD capable as well with either HDMI or Component outputs? Would love to use the coupon to get a tuner for my HD Ready TV. :)

Doesn't Echostar's boxes use a 3rd-party for guide data ? Gem something ? The TR-40 is coupon-eligible so they can't require a phone line, I'm guessing, but the TR-50 can have completely different features.

As for when they showed them, it's easy: Turn them on, scan for channels, then just go channel-up, pause 5-10 seconds, channel-up, pause.... Do that for ALL channels and you'll populate the guide for "x" hours. This is one reason why DVR boxes do NOT use PSIP data typically too.

Does anyone know if any of these upcoming boxes will be HD capable as well with either HDMI or Component outputs? Would love to use the coupon to get a tuner for my HD Ready TV. :)
Coupon-eligible boxes must have RF and composite outputs (and can optionally have S-Video). The inclusion of component, DVI, or HDMI will disqualify them from the coupon program. The coupons are NOT for "upgrading" anyone or their equipment.

Thanx for the reviews.

The Insignia looks pretty good, but I have sworn off the Best Buy house brand products after getting screwed on one of their LCD TVs. It has a bad power supply or something.

Best Buy stinks.

See post above. You can't usea coupon for that purpose.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts